Player caught betting on team mate to kick first goal...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:good. can he be suspended? Throw the book at him. lol, yeah say what you want, makes me happy. Suck eggs.

14 weeks

Bono
Club Player

He should have used the money to buy himself a neck!

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Thats how I'm reading it as well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:What does the 6 weeks suspended mean?
It means he's a collingwood player.
So you honestly thing he should have been suspended for 14 weeks for a 410 bet. Imangine if it was a Saints player. The conspirancy, the corruption, the hatred of our club. Stupid thing to do but even a supidier penalty.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

What about the effect it had on Nick Maxwell?

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Zac Attack
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:If the reports are accurate, I wonder who Collingwood might 'jettison' this time in a cynical attempt to show 'good governance'?
Well they trade Rhyce last time...maybe get Brayden Shaw back despite being a cousin...

If my memory serves me correctly that is Heath Shaw's final chance at the pies. After the suspension in 2008 for being out late etc/lieing to Edward and co the Collingwood leaders' said that enough is enough.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Joffa 5 wrote:
I don't think that's what it was. I thought 14 weeks AFL level, 8 weeks any level so he could play VFL
"COLLINGWOOD star Heath Shaw will miss the rest of the 2011 home and away season after being suspended by the AFL for betting on football.

The League made the shock announcement on Friday that Shaw had been banned for 14 matches, six of which have been suspended, for a series of beaches, including betting on his captain Nick Maxwell to kick the first goal in the team's round 10 match against Adelaide."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Zac Attack
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
So you honestly thing he should have been suspended for 14 weeks for a 410 bet. Imangine if it was a Saints player. The conspirancy, the corruption, the hatred of our club. Stupid thing to do but even a supidier penalty.
But have they not broken the law? I think they have...a form of inside trading at its purist.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

SEN go from the direct telecast of the press conference to an ad for Centrebet wanting people to bet on footy's first goal.....good timing.

Stupid players. In this day and age, you just can't do it. Penalty is appropriate.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
He was given a 14 week suspension... what's the point of suspending 6?

I think they had to come down very very hard as they'd want to send a message loud and clear... much like the treatment of the sling tackle.

Yes, I reckon if it was Baker there would probably be no suspended sentence... just my opinion.

ando051
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ando051 wrote:Heath Shaw just got 14 weeks with 6 weeks suspended and $20 grand fine. for making a $10 bet on Nick Maxwell to get the first go. I bet his scaly mate Didak was in on it as well.

Nick Maxwell got $10,000 fine for giving family info about playing forward in that game.
I am accused of agreeing with everything AFL but both those fines and suspension are ridiculous. I could find out today if I wanted where 10 Saints players are playing. A simple phone call or 2 and an 8 week suspension for a $10 bet. Give me a break.

Totally agree penalty is harsh, but Heath Shaw told a mate who will tell a mate and so on. The rule was clearly spelt out to all players a couple of years ago about NO betting on footy. What make this so serious was it was inside info about a backline player starting forward at odds of 101 - 1 and placed $20 bucks on it. This was not a $5 bet at 2 - 1

If he bets again the 6 weeks will also be added to his new suspension.

Joffa 5
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:
I don't think that's what it was. I thought 14 weeks AFL level, 8 weeks any level so he could play VFL
"COLLINGWOOD star Heath Shaw will miss the rest of the 2011 home and away season after being suspended by the AFL for betting on football.

The League made the shock announcement on Friday that Shaw had been banned for 14 matches, six of which have been suspended, for a series of beaches, including betting on his captain Nick Maxwell to kick the first goal in the team's round 10 match against Adelaide."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Fair enough.

I saw the live announcement on the HUN that read:

3:47 Nathaniel Bane: Heath shaw a friend to place bets........as a result of his conduct he will be suspended for 14 matches and fined $20,000

3:47 Nathaniel Bane: Ineligible to play at any level for next 8 matches

SainterX
Club Player

Cue Eddie coming up in the next hour at his teams press conference to say he is "very disappointed", and that Heath is now on his "last last last last chance" :shock: and anymore indiscretions will lead to "immediate termination".

Yeah right.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
Just go dig a hole for yourself you miserable old sod!! Jezus!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
He was given a 14 week suspension... what's the point of suspending 6?

I think they had to come down very very hard as they'd want to send a message loud and clear... much like the treatment of the sling tackle.

Yes, I reckon if it was Baker there would probably be no suspended sentence... just my opinion.
What a lot of rot. I think you will find they have always had suspended sentances when dealing with betting offences. This is the first player to be suspended and I think 8 weeks is more than enough. What did Goodwin get? And was it Ward. What happened to him. I think being a pies player effects common sense. If it was one of ours we would bepointing out the penalites of Goodwin and Ward and saying it is typical for us to get treated worth. Now we have people saying 14 seems ok.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
Explain why i am miserable. It makes no sense all but is consistant with some of your other ramblings. Iíi put you in my no idea list.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Not the first to be suspended Plugger.

Matthew Primus got 2 weeks and a Richmond part time runner got 6 weeks by the RFC.

The suspension is right in my view. Should be hard.

Edit: Primus was a coach at the time.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

He got off lightly.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
Explain why i am miserable. It makes no sense all but is consistant with some of your other ramblings. Iíi put you in my no idea list.

Nigh on EVRY SINGLE THING you post is just claptrap, antognistic AFL apologist bulls***, just for the sake of bulls***. Because, you couldnt possibly believe the crap you come out with.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
What a lot of rot. I think you will find they have always had suspended sentances when dealing with betting offences. This is the first player to be suspended and I think 8 weeks is more than enough. What did Goodwin get? And was it Ward. What happened to him. I think being a pies player effects common sense. If it was one of ours we would bepointing out the penalites of Goodwin and Ward and saying it is typical for us to get treated worth. Now we have people saying 14 seems ok.
Matthew Primus was suspended for two weeks for having a NAB cup game in a multi. Not one that his team was involved in.

This is far more serious.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
mullet
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:what about the worst captain in AFL history, maxwell? Surely he is complicit. lol, what absolute retards these knobends are .
Thanks ... I thought I was the only one who felt like this about maxwell.
Cannot stand him. I also thought Brian Lake was overrated as well and was proved correct

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Not the first to be suspended Plugger.

Matthew Primus got 2 weeks and a Richmond part time runner got 6 weeks by the RFC.

The suspension is right in my view. Should be hard.
I knew of the runner but cant remember Primus. When was that? Before or after Ward and Goodwin because if it was after it makes a bit of sense but if it was before it doesnt make as much sense. Plenty will agree with the penalty but maybe because I know of a few who still bet that maybe I think it is a bit unfair for Shaw when others still do it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

Nigh on EVRY SINGLE THING you post is just claptrap, antognistic AFL apologist bulls***, just for the sake of bulls***. Because, you couldnt possibly believe the crap you come out with.
You have taken the lead in the no idea list. In case you havent noticed I disagree with the AFL penalty. It is a long list. You should be proud. And I believe everything I say where as others just say it because they feel like they have to say it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:He got off lightly.
yeah whatever.

8 weeks for a $10 bet is a big penalty but a good one.

Rosco
Club Player

yeah, the use of the word 'suspended' doesn't work well here when they are normally given 'suspensions'.

but it is - 8 weeks off footy (AFL or VFL)

another 6 weeks off if he gets caught doing the same again (you'd think it unlikely, but it's heath shaw)