Discussion Saints v Crows

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Discussion Saints v Crows

Couldn't see one?

Herald Sun has Adelaide:

Graham Johncock (left hip) 1-2 weeks
Matthew Jaensch (right shoulder) 1 week

With maybe Chris Knights to come back

You'd think we'd pretty much have just the one change, with such an even performance across the board.

Out Gwilt
In from Lynch, Simpkin, Blake, Geary?

I'm going left field and saying

Out Gwilt In Geary (sub)

Dal to move back (I think we need his kicking skills) Armitage back into the middle

I think Jones might get Thompson, and Dempster to get Dangerfield?

Thoughts?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Johncock a huge out for them...

Instrumental running and creating from the back half...

The game changed last week when he went off...

Zac on Tippett, who seems a little out of form at the moment, and hopefully doesn't pick this week to turn it around...

Thompson their best mid by quite a way... Jones needs to keep him to less than 20, and we'd be half way there to winning comfortably...

Dangerfield a danger, but pretty much perfect match up for Dempster as you mentioned SainterK, aside from Danger's pace... Dempster should be able to use his experience to block his run at it and limit his bursts..

As an aside, I've never been a Dempster fan, but he's done his job well in the last few weeks, and credit to him, has definetly earned his spot in the side...

Not really much else to worry about, although Knights did fluke a handful against us last time... Quite abit has changed since then...

Percentage boost may even be on the cards... :shock:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'd love to see Walsh in, but I have a feeling it will be Blake.

B: Clarke, Dawson, Dempster
HB: Gilbert, Blake, Fisher
C: Montagna, Goddard, Gram
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Peake
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Gamble
Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven

Int: Jones, Armitage, Ray, Polo

They'll play it safe while sorting out the defence in Gwilt's absence. Clarke and Gilbert will need to maintain their good form.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Reporting over here that Johncock and Jaensch look like inclusions, know more after training. Both provide run and goals from their half back line.

Knights was gifted two goals last time we played the Crows, but got to be in it to win it. Tippett always causes us problems, as does Dangerfield...danger game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

After looking at that another left fielder for Gwilt would be to put Bakes on Knights or Dangerfield allowing Dempster to play down back rather than tagging and dal down back for Gwilt. Bakes started his career as a close checking tagger and has developed into the zone blocking small back. We back our mids to win a majority of contests against the rest of the Crows using our quick play on game. Big week for McEvoy, he goes well with Kosi and we will go well IMO, we need to limit our exposure with Gwilt gone as we won't be as organised.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Blake in.

Otherwise predictable match ups.

Johncock out is a bigger loss than Gwilt for us. Johncock is an exceptional back half general and their only one. Thankfully we have a few who can play a similar role.

Have an inkling we'll be a pretty tough opposition. I expect us to be absolutely red hot this weekend. Consolidating after a good win will be vital, particularly so given who else is playing next weekend.
Syd v Dogs, Freo v WC, Hawks v Melb etc.

Any win is timely, but a strong win this weekend would set us up nicely with post Collingwood Gold Coast to follow.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Crows set up well against the Saints, but we should carry on with our good form.

Sobraz points and match-ups are pretty close to the mark. No change there.

Jimmy Gwilt's replacement will be important for this and future games. It's a tough call, but I will go for Lynch, with Blake next (the "safe" bet).
We can afford to test Lynch in the next two games to see whether he can hold down the position.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Agree with mad saint guy.

If Harves is to be believed it will be one of Simpkin, Walsh, or Blake. Clarke's barely settled in and Gwilt's gone, I reckon we'll see Blake back in to steady the group.

As much as I'll be disappointed not to see more fresh faces, if Blake plays from here on in he'll have his 200th in round 24 which would be awesome.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote:We can afford to test Lynch in the next two games to see whether he can hold down the position.
Im hoping this is the case...

Showed enough in his recent matches to suggest he's ready to step up...

Plays forward in the 1's, backline in the VFL, so can adapt and be thrown around... Lynch is the way to go...

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I think we will see the Blake man in, but I would like to see Lynch in. I don't believe that this is an easy game but it's better give Lynch, Walsh and co in the next few weeks

I love this club
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Discussion Saints v Crows

SainterK wrote: Out Gwilt
In from Lynch, Simpkin, Blake, Geary?

I'm going left field and saying

Out Gwilt In Geary (sub)

Dal to move back (I think we need his kicking skills) Armitage back into the middle

I think Jones might get Thompson, and Dempster to get Dangerfield?

Thoughts?
I agree with every single word. I never liked having Dal in the backline but now that Steven has taken his game to another level I think we can spare him in the engine room to full utilise his strengths.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Rosco
Club Player

referring to the OP, i generally agree except feel it's unlikely that geary will come in. although it does make sense given their smallish forward line (other than tippett). i reckon they will bring blake back, he was actually playing pretty well before dempster heat butted blake's knee.

has blake had a run in the VFL?
did they have a bye last week?

P.S. would love to see lynch come back in, especially for his positional flexibility

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Eeryone seems to be fprgetting Tommy Walsh. Surely he has done enough to earn a game against the Crows!
Even in the game against the bullants, his last outing, he was better than Blake. He kicked the only goals kicked by his team for the game for heavens sake. and played in defence and in the ruck during the course of the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think it will take a game where he can be carried if it goes pear shaped. He is still relatively new to the Aussie game and will be introduced slowly to the game to limit any mistakes he may make. My memory of his defence is him on the ground devastated as he had Essendon kick a goal on him in the NAB cup game. He isn't the same type as Gwilt is why most aren't calling for his introduction. Gwilt is a reliable midsized run and carry defender who is strong overhead and composed under pressure. Tommy Walsh is a tall emotional guy with limited experience who has been played away from the backline this year and is still mastering the game of Aussie Rules. I don't think we have forgotten and our hopes are that he becomes a star for us just doesn't look like the spot for him yet.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Rosco wrote: has blake had a run in the VFL?
yeah did last week, and looked to be struggling to get around as fluently as normal...

just a bit stiff legged... not sure if he's struggling to get over that knee, or just general wear and tear...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:My memory of his defence is him on the ground devastated as he had Essendon kick a goal on him in the NAB cup game.
My memory is that he was devastated by McQualter's fist to his head. It was either an attempt to spoil, or part of a devious plan to keep Walsh out of the team. :wink:

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
jays
Club Player

think we should win this by atleast 30 points

DWOODROW
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Eeryone seems to be fprgetting Tommy Walsh. Surely he has done enough to earn a game against the Crows!
Even in the game against the bullants, his last outing, he was better than Blake. He kicked the only goals kicked by his team for the game for heavens sake. and played in defence and in the ruck during the course of the game.
I don't think anyone is forgetting him I think people realise Lyon goes with what he knows and is proven in the past.

Walsh is somewhat an unknown entity when it comes to playing in the St Kilda run on side.

Nothing against him but highly unlikely I would think.

Hope to see him get a go soon though.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

Would like to see Walsh but i think it will be Blake.

DWOODROW
Club Player

GoTheTorp wrote:Would like to see Walsh but i think it will be Blake.
+1. Not sure anyone else could do it and Blake at his best can be damaging.
Don't know enough about the big Walsh to say the same.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:think we should win this by atleast 30 points
I reckon 41 points. If we can't beat them at home, might as well pack it in for the year.

They are a rabble.

noob
Club Player

a win will do me. A 4 quarter effort would be a bonus

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

How is Tony Modra's afterbirth... I mean Kurt Tippet going for the Ravens?

We'll have to keep him at bay. He seems to have a field day against us.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

St.Kilda by 56 points.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Word from SA jorno on SEN is Johncock to play

WE are playing this game after consecutive 6 day breaks

hard grind against WC

will be interesting to see how much run we have throughout night

should win....but players will enjoy the next break

saint4life