Bailey Sacked

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
perfectionist wrote:It is interesting that his playing career with Essendon was from 1986 to 1992, exactly between their two premierships. Then again, some very good, and premiership successful, coaches never played in a premiership team. However, it does seem to confer greater than usual tenure to fulfil the dream.
I reckon you would have sacked him after his first loss.
Why?
given your perfectionsist streak...
I presume you mean "perfectionist" rather than "perfectionsist", whatever that is (except a typo). My first full season watching the Saints was 1961. It was Allan Jeans first season as coach. We had not made the finals since 1939. We lost the first two games. We made the finals that year. Five years later we won our first, and alas, only flag.

Like most ignorant people, you neglect the lessons of the past, the meaning of words (like perfectionist, why don't you actually look it up?) and the fact that people largely choose random, if not slightly Freudian, names for Internet boards. I suggest a course of study in "thinking", but I don't hold much hope. Our alternative Prime Minister has proudly, and loudly, proclaimed in the last few days, without even a whimper from our ever vigilant media, that carbon dioxide is a "weightless" gas. Really! Australia - the land of the über moron.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

about 12 months too late, they may have been able to hold on to a few kids otherwise

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:about 12 months too late, they may have been able to hold on to a few kids otherwise
Exactly my point.

Jimmy Stynes may be a nice bloke, but unfortunately hasn't led the club the way it needed to be. I guess he had more important things to deal with.

I wonder if he will step aside to led Garry Lyon be prez?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i dont think lyon will do s***

goes on how much he loves the demons, but then says wants nothing to do with them coaching wise, board wise

as soon as some s*** is sprayed he is down there in stynes ear giving his two bobs worth
either commit
or leave it alone

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i dont think lyon will do s***

goes on how much he loves the demons, but then says wants nothing to do with them coaching wise, board wise
Garry Lyon loves Garry Lyon. It's as simple as that !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Severe case of Channelnineitis prevents him from seeing beyond himself.

Would be an appalling appointment, and akin to us with Blight and/or Watson.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if the issue of Jim Stynes and his ability to do the job (particularly during his current health battle) is one that dare not be raised.

bob__71
Club Player

Jim has done more than enough for that football club to stay as long as he wants.

I think Melbournes play largly mirrored Deans demenour as coach. He ran the highs and lows a bit too much for my liking as a head coach. I think modern coaching is a lot more decion making and requires a pretty level head. I think he would make an interesting aquisition as an assistant if his head is in the right space at the end of the season.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:...and the 21 players who put in that insipid performance?
I don't think coaches get sacked as punishment for a bad performance though.

The same as coaches shouldn't get re-signed as a reward.

It's all about the direction, and how far that coach can take the group. I had no issue with the concept of Thomas being sacked after making 2 Prelims and an Elimination Final then getting sacked (I think it was a year early for what it's worth though!).
I didn't see it as punishment for a bad season, I saw it as the Board deciding he wasn't going to get any more out of the team.

I would be dirty on the club if they re-signed coaches merely out of goodwill and a pat on the back for a good season - even though they don't think that coach will get them any further or add any more value.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dean Bailey was too into stats.

They let a camera film them at quarter time once, and he just strolled out at quarter time and read the stats out to the team. And calmly explained to them that they are behind in this area, need to improve in that area, and are winning in this area.

Then strolled back to his box.

It was modern day coaching gone mad! No emotion, no rev up, no inspiration, just figures and logic!

I don't care how professional and modern the game is, footy is still a sport that requires motivation fom external sources.
Players might know they need to tackle more, but they often need a fire lit under them to make them go out there and do it.

From my very limited exposure to Bailey's style I don't think that was his thing.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
perfectionist wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
perfectionist wrote:It is interesting that his playing career with Essendon was from 1986 to 1992, exactly between their two premierships. Then again, some very good, and premiership successful, coaches never played in a premiership team. However, it does seem to confer greater than usual tenure to fulfil the dream.
I reckon you would have sacked him after his first loss.
Why?
given your perfectionsist streak...
I presume you mean "perfectionist" rather than "perfectionsist", whatever that is (except a typo). My first full season watching the Saints was 1961. It was Allan Jeans first season as coach. We had not made the finals since 1939. We lost the first two games. We made the finals that year. Five years later we won our first, and alas, only flag.

Like most ignorant people, you neglect the lessons of the past, the meaning of words (like perfectionist, why don't you actually look it up?) and the fact that people largely choose random, if not slightly Freudian, names for Internet boards. I suggest a course of study in "thinking", but I don't hold much hope. Our alternative Prime Minister has proudly, and loudly, proclaimed in the last few days, without even a whimper from our ever vigilant media, that carbon dioxide is a "weightless" gas. Really! Australia - the land of the über moron.
I knew I was right about you. I think you have confused thinking with always wanting to be right . Have you had your enema today? You really need to loosen up.
Last edited by SaintPav on Mon 01 Aug 2011 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Zac Attack
Club Player

bob__71 wrote:Jim has done more than enough for that football club to stay as long as he wants.

I think Melbournes play largly mirrored Deans demenour as coach. He ran the highs and lows a bit too much for my liking as a head coach. I think modern coaching is a lot more decion making and requires a pretty level head. I think he would make an interesting aquisition as an assistant if his head is in the right space at the end of the season.
What do you expect for a club that obviously has its future in 1st-4th year players. Do you remember how up and down we were? We played really well and put in some absolute stinkers...just bizarre that Bailey was sacked...

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote: What do you expect for a club that obviously has its future in 1st-4th year players. Do you remember how up and down we were? We played really well and put in some absolute stinkers...just bizarre that Bailey was sacked...
I think by the 4th year of a coach's tenure, you expect to still see some inconsistency if the group is still very young - but you'd expect the scales to be leaning more to 'very good with the odd disaster' side as opposed to the 'terrible with the occasional very good game' side.

Melbourne were looking like that last year, but this year I think the scales tipped back the other way. Which is never good.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon's son looks very uncomfortable on FC tonight. Guess he doesn’t like it when the heat is turned on him and some hard questions are asked.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Gotta feel sorry for Dean. He arrived at Melbourne in a time of limbo for the club. Probably did the best he could with his current list.

Like SainterK said, the players are also accountable. Although, they suffered an horrendous loss last week, I don't think their situation - in terms of developing - is as dire as what the media has made it out to be.
SaintPav wrote:Should have waited until the end of the year. It's only 5 weeks. I really dislike these types of sackings.
So do I. Seems a little silly this far into the season. It's like a feature film changing hands of director after 90% of the production has been completed. Kinda farcical and unprofessional. Mind you, we're no stranger to this one.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

I think Gaz saw what happened to Tim Watson and what is now happening to Voss and Hird and he doesnt want to be embarrassed that way.

It must be very easy to sit back and pontificate on what coaches should do/have done from a cushy seat in the comentary box or on a TV show but step in to the pressure of coaching and you might be exposed.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Poor Gaz.

Stynes now has a tumour in the stomach and may now be completely cactus.

Better late than never eh Gaz, but shiit you were really really late.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

The coach must take responsibility for the game day performance of the team as a whole. That is why he is paid the large salary he gets. If he did not want to be held directly responsible then he should not have accepted the position in the first place. If a companies share price drops severely it is the CEO that is held responsible by the share holders not the employees on the factory floor. It is his job to ensure the employees are performing to the best of their ability and that he has the best people available to do the job. Senior Coach of an AFL team is exactly the same, he is responsible for what the players do on the field and on the training track. Unfortunately in this day and age a 186 point loss cannot be just excused as an off day or inconsistency due to youth.