Positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positives

joffaboy wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the only positives I see is that there can't be too many more negatives coming our way.
Plenty of negatives coming our way for the next few seasons.

We had a crack at the flag and fell agonisingly short.

Like the skunks after 2002-2003 we have to regroup for a few years and have a crack around 2015.
my sentiments as well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The 2001 draft is unlikely to occur again and priority picks.....

Positives...sandy won I heard

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We got within a kick of the team that had to win on the last day of last year to finish above Gold Coast.

Milera was reasonably good. Stanley wasn't great but at least ran the game out and we need to get games 'through' him. Cripps ok.

That is all.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Milera was excellent.

Felt a bit more free flowing today. Not so stagnant and defensive.

that is it for me.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Lenny Hayes Returning from his reco, Played alright, wasnt our worst, And BONUS he was injury free.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
maverick wrote:
joffaboy wrote:is is a positives thread, there are plenty of other thread to take your miserable whinging.

FFS its not hard to find one. :roll:
So if we dispute a positive we can't post, unless of course we agree with you?
Thats right, fair dinkum :roll:

Noticed you added NOTHING to this thread
Sorry.
Milera a positive.
Dal a positive.
Stanley a positive.
Lenny a positive.
Kosi a positive.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I am positive that the umps had a worse game than us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Great stuff my Milera, yeah he looks a little thin but the boy can play.

StNoodles
Club Player

If Stanley had've clunked a few of those marks he'd been one of our best

Buckets
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:I thought Geary was okay..Port fumbled as well. It was just one of those games..typical game againts Port though where the luck did not go our way...

I thought a real positive though was the Watters/Laidley combination just being out coached by Matthew Primus...impressive that... :roll:
You just don't get it do you Saint Pav! This is a positives thread, not a sarcastic negative thread! :roll:

Milera - Good solid debut gets a crack next week.
Stanley - Slowly starting to get there and looks like he will be important.
Dal - Good as always
Gilbo - Looking like he will be a lot better than last year, perhaps he has cleared his mind of all the S*&^ that he and the boys went through over Duthie!
Geary - Yes fumbled it (wasn't alone there and there were a few more senior backmen who did it all too often!) but he put his head over the ball and hard at it.
Hayes - Great to see him back, doesnt have a head or back though according to the umps!
McEvoy - Getting better as he progresses, tap work still needs improvement but his work around the ground is good.
Cripps - Ok but will get better

Good to see some of the younger kids get a crack and I think that we will see a few more over coming weeks. If Sipposs is put on the LTI would like to see Dunnell get a crack. Hoping Ross and Saad get gigs over the coming weeks. This year might be tough but a transition year is needed. This time we have a coach who will give the kids a crack and not just go with the same old same old.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote: You just don't get it do you Saint Pav! This is a positives thread, not a sarcastic negative thread! :roll:

Bygones Buckets, I won't do it again. I just don't enjoy losing...It's really messed with my weekend..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Buckets
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
Buckets wrote: You just don't get it do you Saint Pav! This is a positives thread, not a sarcastic negative thread! :roll:

Bygones Buckets, I won't do it again. I just don't enjoy losing...It's really messed with my weekend..
None of us enjoy it. God I was so pissed off at the end of it.

But there are positives and I think that we will see more of them relatively soon. I'm liking the looks of the young kids and believe that the guys coming through the Zebs will really put the pressure on the 1st's more than we have seen in the last 4 seasons.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If Stanley can learn to hang on to his marks, and mark strongly overhead, that would take him to the next level.
As for other positives, well few too see, yes Lenny injury free, Milera showed a bit, Geary was probably our most consistent player for 4 quarters (some may question that as a positive), Gilbert looked back to his 2010 form.
But we lost to a shyte team.
What would have been a big positive is that someone should have been waiting for Rodent to be subbed on and put him back out the moment he stepped onto the ground.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
The Jeff
Club Player

maverick wrote:If Geary was excellent then I was watching a different game
+ 1

Apart from the obvious (Tezza), I thought Kosi moved and presented well.

Other posititves: Gwilt, Schneider, Ross, Sippa, Ledger, Saad and Simpkin will all be playing regular footy by seasons end. And with that, there's a little to like about our future.

FQF
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Steven (except for turnovers)
The turnovers are caused by his inability to kick. It will never work out. I've seen it all before (alas). He would not get game with any of the top sides (Geelong, Hawthorn, WC or Sydney) - in fact, he would not even be considered for a position on their list.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

To be honest I'm surprised by the negativity around the place. This rubbish that losing to last years wooden spooeners means we are on the downward spiral has me baffled. Last year losing to them, yes, but this is this year. You reckon losing to WC last year was a disgrace? I don't. Guess where they finished the previous year?

Look, I'm not saying that we'll win the flag, but I'm mystified by all the doom and gloom. Port played 10 x better tonight than they ever did last year - and will trouble plenty of teams with that type of intensity.

I thought it was one of the best games I've seen us play over there. 2009 aside I can't recall ever beating Port over there. Most times we go over and put in the most insipid effort ever. We had a crack tonight and came up short.

As for the positives I saw a few. Milera the obvious one. The kid has poise and class. He will get tougher as he gets used to the pace. I agree with BigMart - a real find.
Jack Steven knows how to find the ball and is as tough as nails - now he has to learn how to use it.
Stanley has some amzing athletic attributes and is just discovering some of them. He needs time, and needs some footy smarts, but he will develope I reckon.
Kosi is moving as well as I've seen for ages. 3 goals was a good return.
Dal, Joey and BJ had very good games and showed their pre-season form (or lack of) was just that
Gilbo looked much better (aside from his customary brain fades. But his kicking was generally much cleaner.
Lenny was getting involved and will assist our mid field more and more as the year goes on.
Big Ben was terrific I thought.
Milney looks to be carrying on from last year.
We looked far more attacking. people pissing and moaning about our game style last year - finally we are taking the game on a bit more and just as I suspected, if we don't win ppl are just as unhappy.
I'm certainly more +ive than this time last year. Not sure what's wrong with Ledger, but will be great to see him come into the team.
There were certainly mistakes made, but many of them made through pressure. Many weren't as well and if we don't eradicate that quickly we will be in trouble.
Overall though, 2 hours after the game, I'm no where near as pessimistic as many on here

People bagging Blake are your typical knee jerk, jerk offs who only see the end result of things. I too was furious with him initially after the game. Let's face it though - he thrashed Butcher who looked very dangerous early. And he could have done the safe easy thing and kicked down the line. Most likely the end result would have been the same, ie we lost the game, but no-one would have bagged him. Instead he tried to win the game and take a risk. I like that.

Biggest disappointment for me was Ray's form when he came on. Rodan tore us apart when he came on and really sparked the power - I barely sighted Ray. I know being the sub isn't easy, but I reckon in the end THAT'S what cost us in a closely fought game.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:To be honest I'm surprised by the negativity around the place. This rubbish that losing to last years wooden spooeners means we are on the downward spiral has me baffled.
Elementary my dear Watson.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods good post but the facts are we had to many passengers today and thats just the plain truth.

The contested posession work and midfield clearance work early was a debarcle. Port had 15 inside 50's in qtr 1....................thats a wrout.

I almost wish we werent playing Suns next week....to see where we are really at.

“Yeah….nah””
Buckets
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Moods good post but the facts are we had to many passengers today and thats just the plain truth.

The contested posession work and midfield clearance work early was a debarcle. Port had 15 inside 50's in qtr 1....................thats a wrout.

I almost wish we werent playing Suns next week....to see where we are really at.
But on the whole Moods sums it up nicely. Yes the passengers were there but I get the feeling that Watters wont tolerate the passengers like his predecessor. Some of the kids in the Zebs look like they will place considerable pressure on those underperforming passengers very quickly!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm Positive we are done

not sure when we'll be undone but i'm Positive it will happen again one day...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Moods good post but the facts are we had to many passengers today and thats just the plain truth.

Port also have had a long time to prepare for the season :wink:

Look, being a week behind could easily account for the first quarter, and why it took longer to get into the swing of things?

I don't know why that's an excuse, and not a real summation of things, given it all evened up after that?

The Bombers didn't turn up, it was all over the press for days wasn't it, I didn't have a dream and imagine it all did I? :P

Richter
SS Life Member

Great post Moods.

For mine.....

Stanley - best game in a Saints jumper IMO. Showed some toe, got to a few contests and was a physical presence for the first time. Be nice if he had cleaner hands...

Milera - was good and will only get better with practice

Kosi - again, best return from him in a long while. With Roo looking like his days as a permanent CHF are behind him, we need Kosi to really stand up

Milne - still got it

Hayes - just great to see him back

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Moods
Saintsational Legend

1st quarter was poor, no denying that. Lenny's first proper game back from injury probably didn't help. After 1/4 time I thought we matched it with them in there.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Only team with a new coach that won the first round was Adelaide. Their coach was one of the architects of Geelongs great era. Scott is a novice still learning the list and came in late. At least we had a softish hit imagine the Bullies and Melbourne after media are saying they will make the 8 and we don't have a chance.

Of all the new coaches Watters had the smallest margin.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Only team with a new coach that won the first round was Adelaide. Their coach was one of the architects of Geelongs great era. Scott is a novice still learning the list and came in late. At least we had a softish hit imagine the Bullies and Melbourne after media are saying they will make the 8 and we don't have a chance.

Of all the new coaches Watters had the smallest margin.
I thought they had the bye? :? As close to it.