Rd 3 VFL Sandy vs Coburg- Reviews

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rd 3 VFL Sandy vs Coburg- Scores

BigMart wrote:Not good enough to just accept you're having a bad day, we're going to sit the ball on you're head at every opportunity and you need to give us a contest, understand that, a contest.....verbatim.
I presume that was at 3/4 time. From what I saw Shent didn't make a fuss of his finger and just tried to push through it. Maybe he bit off more than he could chew.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Broken finger doesn't effect your ability to work hard.... He didn't work enough and was singled out, he'll learn from that.

defacto
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Broken finger doesn't effect your ability to work hard.... He didn't work enough and was singled out, he'll learn from that.
who was signaled out for not working hard enough?

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

I think all of us tend to be pretty harsh on young players.
They are almost all inconsistent apart from a few very rare freaks.
Newnes didn't set the world on fire yesterday but as I said to a mate "he didn't offend me".
Basically for young players I look for good decision making, know their limitations, a good kicking style, reasonable pace or evasion ability, has a build that looks like it can develop or at least is not fragile, preferably two footed and can handpass reasonably ie knows when to go long or short and with both hands, competes at a contest regardless of whether a marking or on the ground.
To expect them to dominate at any level at such a young age or get 30 touches every week well that's just not going to happen.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Shenton is nearly 22. I think if he wants to make a go of it, all he has to do is one thing..... Work hard. He may have some talent, loads do, does he have the factor that separates him from a state league player and AFL player..... On yesterday and two weeks ago, he needs to offer more. He does seem low on confidence, a couple of big tackles would fix that

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Shenton is nearly 22. I think if he wants to make a go of it, all he has to do is one thing..... Work hard. He may have some talent, loads do, does he have the factor that separates him from a state league player and AFL player..... On yesterday and two weeks ago, he needs to offer more. He does seem low on confidence, a couple of big tackles would fix that
hard to tackle with a busted finger?
man we have some keyboard warrirors on here sometimes.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Depends how bad it was broken.... I was there watching, he seemed in no discomfort..... It is not difficult to finish a game, or indeed play with a fractured figure....plenty do it....and you'd be soft not to

Unless it was a Tim Paine type break, which deformed his finger an probably ended his career

If it were a bad break, they had 5 on the bench, he would have been showered...... Fraser played four games with a broken hand..... Didn't stop him from presenting..

I am not potting the lad....I hope he does well, but from what I've seen he needs to show/offer a bit more than the odd straight line lead and mark....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Depends how bad it was broken.... I was there watching, he seemed in no discomfort..... It is not difficult to finish a game, or indeed play with a fractured figure....plenty do it....and you'd be soft not to

Unless it was a Tim Paine type break, which deformed his finger an probably ended his career

If it were a bad break, they had 5 on the bench, he would have been showered...... Fraser played four games with a broken hand..... Didn't stop him from presenting..

I am not potting the lad....I hope he does well, but from what I've seen he needs to show/offer a bit more than the odd straight line lead and mark....
Pretty sure they only had 4 on the bench and Loury was unavailable with a medial ligament.

As I said before it didn't seem to bother him, but that doesn't mean it didn't.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lourey got injured at the end of the second qtr......someone suggested he did it in the first qtr???

They had 5 on the bench......they are allowed a 23rd man, a 19yo...... Soriano was that player...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'm hearing a lot of good things about this Adam Cockie.

What type is he (for anyone who knows) and should we have a look at him? We don't want another Magner.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Sandringham go down with a fight - By Nick Cintiar

In what was Sandringham’s first loss of the year against a strong Coburg team, Sandringham will rest up on this week’s bye and learn from their mistakes. In a game that went goal for goal for 2 and a half quarters, the Zebra’s were down by as much as 36 points with 10 minutes to go in the last, to lose by only 5 points.

The Zebra’s seemed to be outclassed all day. They were beaten in the ruck and their disposal of the ball was not up to the standard that it has been. After two strong wins, the Zebra’s found themselves out against an opponent that wanted the ball more.

The first break saw Sandringham trail by 2 points. Beau Wilkes had a great start to the game, kicking two goals. The game began slowly for both teams, but a great contest was about to unfold.

Myke Cook picked up where he left off from last week by taking a spectacular contested mark in the forward line and capped it off with a goal. In what was a big second quarter by both teams, Coburg dominated in the ruck with Angus Graham and Andrew Browne. They had the majority of the hitouts, which meant Sandringham struggled to win the contested ball.

“Contested ball mainly, we (were) just beaten for the contested ball,” said Sandringham coach Simon McPhee.

When the game mattered most in the third quarter, Coburg managed to kick 4 in a row, to give them a handy lead of 18 points at the final break. Sandringham seemed to fumble, make mistakes that they usually wouldn’t and Coburg punished them on the scoreboard.

“Statistically we didn’t have as much (of the) ball and when we did have it, we didn’t use it very well.”

After a game that saw the contested possession and hitout tally’s in the negatives, Sandringham managed to still fight back in the last quarter. Sandringham did seem to have poor kicking efficiency, though they can still gain some positives out of the loss.

“I thought (Hamish) Shepheard and (Daniel) Archer battled manfully.”

“Beau Dowler battled manfully, I thought Jackson Ferguson was ok. Beau Wilkes fought the game out, battled hard early and got a few goals late.”

Beau Wilkes kicked 5 goals, in a strong performance. Ahmed Saad and Adam Cockie had two goals, being the other multiple goal kickers on the day. Tom Curren had the most disposals for the Zebra’s, with 27, in what was another strong performance.

With a bye next round, Sandringham will be looking to bounce back against Williamstown at home.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... D=18900731

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Austinnn
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Coach had little sympathy for Shenton the....and he has 9 others...

Nice try plug....but speaking of going early
I'll wait until we're not beating up on the kids from the coast before I declare too much senior wise...... And who called anyone a gun??? ..your such an antagonistic prick, and sook when you cop a serve
Jeeeeeeeeeesus man, just let it go. DM P66 with your hate mail please and stick to the footy, you are actually worth reading when you're writing about footy. The rest is nonsense.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

For those that have seen him play this year, is it fair to say that Curren would be in our senior side this week if he was on our senior list, instead of the rookie list?
And what are his main strengths/weaknesses, please?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

from Sandy twitter:
STATS: Seniors Round 3 Tom Curren - 27 disposals & 1 goal Adam Cockie - 18 disposals & 2 goals Arryn Siposs - 15 disposals & 1 goal

Foz
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:For those that have seen him play this year, is it fair to say that Curren would be in our senior side this week if he was on our senior list, instead of the rookie list?
I wouldn't think Curran would be in our senior team just yet.

But what we know is he works hard on his game, he gets the footy regularly, he can play a variety of positions, fwd, mid, sweeper, his hard at it and gives 100%.

I mentioned earlier that his kicking is the only question mark - coach McPhee referred to disposal efficiency and he was one i thought that can keep working on this aspect of his game.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Bardon Saint wrote:from Sandy twitter:
STATS: Seniors Round 3 Tom Curren - 27 disposals & 1 goal Adam Cockie - 18 disposals & 2 goals Arryn Siposs - 15 disposals & 1 goal
Think you'll find they are actually from True Zebras, not Sandringham.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Foz wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:For those that have seen him play this year, is it fair to say that Curren would be in our senior side this week if he was on our senior list, instead of the rookie list?
I wouldn't think Curran would be in our senior team just yet.

But what we know is he works hard on his game, he gets the footy regularly, he can play a variety of positions, fwd, mid, sweeper, his hard at it and gives 100%.

I mentioned earlier that his kicking is the only question mark - coach McPhee referred to disposal efficiency and he was one i thought that can keep working on this aspect of his game.
I guess i was mainly going on the fact he's racking up the disposals in the VFL and that he's probably been doing a lot more there than Newnes has, so I figured if Newnes is getting a run, maybe Curren would have come in first, had he also been on the senior list.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone tell me why the VFL just don't publish player statistics?

Surely it can be done. Would make it much more easier for fans to follow and understand the performances of players....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... D=18927641
I>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Itwas Beau Wilkes that got the Zebra fans cheering first, continuing his good form up forward by snapping truly in the opening minutes of the game. His effort was undone soon after by a sloppy kick-in by Jackson Ferguson, gifting Coburg an easy goal.

Zebra’s captain Beau Dowler had a tough time with his fellow backmen as Richmond-listed Jeromey Webberley consistently fed his forwards scoring opportunities that went unrewarded. Quarter-time scores had Coburg up by 2 points, but it could have been a lot more.

Tigers coach Adam Potter was happy with the link-and-run provided by his backmen, and the contested possessions around the ground, but wanted more centre breaks, considering Angus Graham looked to be winning the battle against Michael Sikora.

The Coburg backline held well in the second quarter, with Luke McGuane often playing the loose man in defence, filling the holes and forcing the Sandringham midfield to bomb it in long with no effect. Adam Cockie and Ahmed Saad played further up field for the Zebras, and were able to create scoring opportunities, but the margin was still four points at the main break.

The lead yo-yoed early in the third quarter with midfielders Damien Rayson and Webberley continuing to stamp their authority on the game. Arryn Siposs, who was also playing further u the ground, threw his body into contests with reckless abandonment, but it wasn’t enough to stem the tide of Coburg goals, and the Tigers went into the last quarter with an 18-point lead.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Finally it all clicked for Sandringham. Hamish Shepheard was winning the centre bounces, Wilkes kicked his fourth, Tom Curren broke free in the centre and launched one from 50. Siposs registered his first for the day, and then Wilkes kicked his fifth. When Dunnel marked and scored at the 30-minute mark, both Tigers and Zebra’s fans sat with baited breath.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107