How would we feel if Roo missed a GF to be at birth of child

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: How would we feel if Roo missed a GF to be at birth of c

SainterK wrote:Lots of babies don't make it, lots of wifes don't....

Childbirth is not always textbook, no point pretending that it is.
Dunno about lots! In Australia, it's 1 in 200 babies who don't make it, and 1 in 12,500 mums. Certainly bad things do happen, but I don't think 1 in 12,500 is something you can reasonably factor into decision making.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

Dunno about lots! In Australia, it's 1 in 200 babies who don't make it, and 1 in 12,500 mums. Certainly bad things do happen, but I don't think 1 in 12,500 is something you can reasonably factor into decision making.
That was the extreme part of my view though bergholt, there are also plenty of couples that face huge decisions, life changing decisions and it isn't always a breeze.

I think I've been pretty clear in my view, that the decision isn't just about if they will 'experience' the birth of their child, much more to it.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bergholt wrote:

Disclaimer: I reckon I'm pretty unlikely to be in either the GF or baby situation...

I can certainly appreciate the arguments so well put re the incredible significance of an AFL GF, and even more so again for a club like ours...

But geez...,
I know I couldn't live with it...
what if 'she'...
was that 1 in 12500 and I wasn't there with her??? :cry:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Yes but tragic things can happen all the time should a player not play the week after the baby is born ? Just in case or should a player not play while the mother is preg just in case ? Fact is if something bad was to happen regardless of the situation any person would feel terrible about the loss be it them playing the game or sitting next to it

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Can Riewoldts kid kick straight?

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i'd be ok with it

stevie
Saintsational Legend

:shock:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a crock. game only goes for a few hours.
they can always induce it on thursday or better still - keep it at bay until next week!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Sounds like a crock. game only goes for a few hours.
they can always induce it on thursday or better still - keep it at bay until next week!
Keep it at bay?
I'm guessing you haven't gone thought it yet con... Not much stopping a baby that wants to be born.

Saints43
Club Player

I remember being disgusted that Steven Sziller missed a home & away match out at Waverley.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Get all your kids outta the way early, before you become an estabished player. Then the problem disappears (plus we don't have to wait so long for the father/sons :wink: )

We may however need to build a creche at the Academy 8-)

St Lenny
Club Player

If I was married to Nick and pregnant, I would make dam sure it wasnt due around GF day. And if it was, I would tell him to get out there and win us a bloody premiership.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:If I was married to Nick and pregnant, I would make dam sure it wasnt due around GF day. And if it was, I would tell him to get out there and win us a bloody premiership.
And if I was married to Nick and pregnant.....

......I'd be making a fortune on the US Talk Show circuit :P

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Keep it at bay?
I'm guessing you haven't gone thought it yet con... Not much stopping a baby that wants to be born.
nope. i havent.
but my girlfriend is a doctor. im sure they can do something ! :D :D
i hope noone takes offence - i know its the modern thing to do but is there really any use in the dude being there?
dont they just faint and get in the way?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Keep it at bay?
nope. i havent.
i hope noone takes offence - i know its the modern thing to do but is there really any use in the dude being there?

AND get sworn at and abused!
Twice the fun of playing in a GF!

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:If I was married to Nick and pregnant, I would make dam sure it wasnt due around GF day. And if it was, I would tell him to get out there and win us a bloody premiership.
What if he was a bit frisky around new years eve and you had had a few spritzers? :shock:

markp wrote:It's not just a game, it's a cut-throat multi-million dollar business, and a gf is the ultimate.

In any other field, if you were paying someone that sort of coin and they decided not to front for such a vital and non-replicatable deal or moment for such a reason then you'd sack them.
Really?? Which fields?

St Lenny
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
What if he was a bit frisky around new years eve and you had had a few spritzers? :shock:
Contraception...................... :wink:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure i've read on here Nick was missing on Grand Final day anyway, nothing to do with a baby... :shock: :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well if he is told he has to miss by the misses to be at the birth then its half his fault
he's the one getting her up the duff and then being due around finals time

christ have a think about it

you dont get married and you dont have kids around finals footy time
its not hard

pardon the pun

Moods
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:well if he is told he has to miss by the misses to be at the birth then its half his fault
he's the one getting her up the duff and then being due around finals time

christ have a think about it

you dont get married and you dont have kids around finals footy time
its not hard

pardon the pun
I just reckon in a marriage, certain things would be accepted. Gee whiz, not as if the missus thought that her hubby had just taken up this new sport called footy. She would know that he had been playing it virtually his entire life, and this weekend was the absolute pinnacle of everything he has worked for.

Getting married, yes completely understand. Should NEVER happen in September - for anyone :lol:

Births of kids isn't always exact planning though. I reckon a few hours off to play in the most important game of your life, and then back to the hospital is acceptable. And should be acceptable to women. I mean afterall, all the hubby can do is watch anyway. Very little practical assistance is needed. A best friend, mother, favourite Aunt can usually step in if a crisis such as these prop up

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Bit suprised on the comments by some on here.

I personally feel the partner should be at the birth. However, as a supporter, I feel they should be at the grand final as I have no emotional investment in the birth of the child and want the player on the field on GF day.

It is easy to mount an argument and use money as a reason why they should play in the GF, but at the end of the day, the birth of a child is a pretty amazing experience. Why should he not be by his partners side? I would not demand my partner be at the birth, I would automatically expect them to be. There should not be a decision to make. Perhaps some of the men on here should try pushing a watermelon out of hole the size of a pea and see how they feel? These partners are pretty supportive of their husbands throughout the football season and give up a lot (although most are adequately financially compensated granted). Surely it would not be too much to expect them to be there for such a life changing event..??

I think it comes down to planning, as some have already mentioned on here. Hawthorn have been premiership favourites since the end of 2008 and have been expected to make the finals and the GF for the past 4 years so surely a little thought and caution should have been excercised 9 months ago by this couple..??

Fortius Quo Fidelius
oh when the
Club Player

So no Christmas presents for Rooey

Richter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:
Keep it at bay?
nope. i havent.
Lol Con. I know that you're only pulling our legs...

The answer is yes, the dude does a lot... my wife gave birth to our first earlier this year (handily planned for just before the season started :wink: )... and in the lead up to it she was bricking it. It is the most painful thing. Imagine the worst pain you've ever been in and then multiply it by 100. And then there's the fear that you're going to need an episiotomy... of course there is pain relief, but what if it takes ages to come. You and your missus, no matter how rational you might usually be, are a mess of worry, expectancy, excitement, fear... your presence makes a vital difference in terms of the emotional support that you offer... it isn't just the risk of maternal or neonatal death or illness, but of being present to assist in things after the birth like , skin to skin time, breastfeeding, mother-infant bonding.

Due to being a health professional myself I have been a witness to a fair number of traumatic situations, but nothing prepares your for seeing your loved one in such a situation.

Could someone else, like a m-in-law, or sister be there instead of the Dad... yes, of course the physical process of handholding could be done by someone else... but your wife/partner chose to have the child with you not her mother or her sister, and if you want to be an equal partner in raising this new addition then it means not squelching out at the 'icky bits'.

Imagine playing for the Saints, your boyhood club, winning the flag this year, and for the next ten years in a row. Think how excited you'd be. It still doesn't come close to how wonderful it is to become a father and to be witness to that event.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The moment they placed my little man on me was the best moment of my entire life....when he just looked up at me with the most beautiful little face and eyes wide open.

Feeling those little elbows and knees that I had sometimes felt push against my stomach, they were oh so familiar.

Looking at the pride in my husband eyes as he looked both of us.

I am tearing up just typing it to be honest...

Who'd want to miss that?

(oh and nice post Richter)