Four second round picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Four second round picks

Hemi Baxter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Raph and Blake are in trouble and they could downgrade Winmar. Does that give us enough if we promote one rookie?
How exactly does this happen? Winmar is a contracted senior list player for next year.
We have to delist him and pick him back up in the rookie draft, I think - if no-one else picks him up first.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:We only had 38 players on the senior list last year - but we could have had 40. There's your other two picks.
Is that really true? I've read that somewhere but nowhere official. If so that makes it a lot easier.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Hemi Baxter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Raph and Blake are in trouble and they could downgrade Winmar. Does that give us enough if we promote one rookie?
How exactly does this happen? Winmar is a contracted senior list player for next year.
We have to delist him and pick him back up in the rookie draft, I think - if no-one else picks him up first.
...and if they do we have to continue to pay all his salary above the minimum

Richter
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Richter wrote:We only had 38 players on the senior list last year - but we could have had 40. There's your other two picks.
Is that really true? I've read that somewhere but nowhere official. If so that makes it a lot easier.
I'm not 100% sure. Not entirely sure how things are changing with the Vets list too.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Hemi Baxter wrote:
...and if they do we have to continue to pay all his salary above the minimum

Yep so whats your point? the point is we can do it.

Richter
SS Life Member

Will be interesting to se what happens with the Tippett thing.

Will Adelaide lose their first round pick this year (#20)?

Will Tippett nominate for the draft and be picked up in the first round?

If so, then suddenly we're looking at picks that are effectively:

23, 24, 39, 42

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

My point is that it is too much trouble, it risks further cost and our list is not so wonderful that we would view it as an option when we can discard out of contract players we don't or shouldn't want.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:My point is that it is too much trouble, it risks further cost and our list is not so wonderful that we would view it as an option when we can discard out of contract players we don't or shouldn't want.

There maybe not enough to discard though to use all our picks.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Hemi Baxter wrote:My point is that it is too much trouble, it risks further cost and our list is not so wonderful that we would view it as an option when we can discard out of contract players we don't or shouldn't want.

There maybe not enough to discard though to use all our picks.
On a quick calculation that would appear to be the case if we either promote another rookie as well as Dunell or use 5 selections in the draft

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

My guess is they will be using our first four picks - can't see why they would have bothered negotiating the upgrade of 2 spots on a mid forties pick if they weren't going to use it.

That would mean Raph is a goner. May also mean Dunnell's rookie promotion may not be permanent (still shown on the senior list).

More senior list trimming to come methinks.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

So the trade period got us the ruckman we wanted, the future tall forward we wanted and instead of the backman we wanted, we got another small forward.

In the draft I think we should take a KPP and a midfielder with the first two picks, then the best available kid and the best tall defender of the state leagues with the next two. Cut a couple of rookies and replace them with a backup ruckman and any other talent that slipped through.

Something along the lines of

Pick 25 - Tanner Smith (194cm Key defender)
Pick 26 - Nathan Hrovrat (174cm midfielder)
Pick 41 - Mason Wood (190cm utility)
Pick 44 - Kyle Hartigan (194cm key defender)

savatage
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
bergholt wrote:
I'm not 100% sure. Not entirely sure how things are changing with the Vets list too.
No you're right. It's 40 including your veteran list players. Only problem is rookie list is shrinking to 4 category A rookies, so it makes it a little harder to juggle the rookie list if we intended to pick up a fresh rookie or two.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Two places on the seniors / veteran list were left vacant for 2012 - only 38 out of 40 places filled.
That means that at present there are 36 places filled.
Using all four second round picks would fill the list.

Any promotion of rookies would require the delisting of senior players.
Candidates for promotion would be Sam Dunnell, Tom Curren and Jackson Ferguson.

The failure to trade in a tall defender may result in Blake getting to go another year.
Koschitzke is believed to be already contracted for next year.
Raph Clarke, Nicholas Winmar have to be in real danger of delisting.

First year recruits are normally given a second year, so the least advanced of the second years could be in danger - that would be Tom Ledger but I would hate for him to go.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
vacuous space
SS Life Member

We used to get two extra rookie spots for playing two senior players short. That also gave us extra cap room. With the rookie lists being trimmed back a couple of spots anyway, how many rookies could we have if we play with 40 senior players? Does Ferguson still count outside rookies if he plays for a third year? Don't we also risk losing a rookie if we nominate them for a third year? I'm assuming thanks to BJ we won't have any trouble fitting everyone into the cap.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Blake has been informed he will be contracted for next year .....Watters SEN

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:Blake has been informed he will be contracted for next year .....Watters SEN
This means Raph is pretty much gone and CJ and Winmar are in strife. I know Winmar has a contract.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This means Raph is pretty much gone and CJ and Winmar are in strife. I know Winmar has a contract.
Sounds like Raph is definitely gone, CJ maybe. Winmar's contract could be paid out if there was a little bit of salary cap space this year? He couldn't be on much. But maybe they still see a future for him.

It's funny how many of these famous name kids are less than great. Anthony Long. Darcy Daniher. Travis Tuck. Two out of three Clokes. You could even make the argument about guys like Luke Ablett and Stevie Lawrence. Seems like a lot of them might be over-rated because of the name.

older saint
SS Life Member

sax wrote:How does the veteran list rule work? How many veterans, under the new rule, can be "outside" the list?

57 went to Gold Coast as part of the Hickey deal.
Veterans list rules changed where now the first $112000 of the contract does not count , therefore the decision now between a veteran and a pick 70+ player will most likley see the vet stay unless on around $180,000, which if is probably not considering delisting anyway.