Aaryn Siposs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Re: Aaryn Siposs

Sippa looks a promising talent and great kick but I'm not sure the BJ comparisons/venom are really needed.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
gringo wrote:I loved BJ but he was looking quite possibly the worst number 1 draft pick ever at the same stage of his career.
Do not agree with this at all... IMO he is one of the better no.1 picks... Roo is the top of that tree..
Sorry, may have misunderstood... Do you mean at the same stage Sip is at now??... Even still, thought he was tracking fine and unfairly criticized, much like Watts now...

might have been unfair but I thought there were plenty from his draft like Salopek who was a saints fan who looked ahead of him. He was a fairly ordinary player early days an to me didn't look that promising. Poor decision maker and soft were my memories and never looked like he had an obvious spot in the team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

Do not agree with this at all... IMO he is one of the better no.1 picks... Roo is the top of that tree..
Sorry, may have misunderstood... Do you mean at the same stage Sip is at now??... Even still, thought he was tracking fine and unfairly criticized, much like Watts now...

might have been unfair but I thought there were plenty from his draft like Salopek who was a saints fan who looked ahead of him. He was a fairly ordinary player early days an to me didn't look that promising. Poor decision maker and soft were my memories and never looked like he had an obvious spot in the team.

I reckon that is harsh. He played 83 out of a possible 93 in his first 4 years and i have no idea if he was injured in any of the games he missed. We were also a great side for most of those 4 years. His possession count wasnt fantastic in his first years but it was still pretty good.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BJ found it hard to nail down a position early....

His favoured
HB positions were with Aussie and Voss, later Gram...

Wings were covered... Heath Black and Dal/BJ/X/Ball, Peckett were rotated through there...

Midfield was packed with guns... Harvey, Baker, Ball, Hayes, Thompson, Dal all running through

Back line was complete as was fwd line

Tough to get a game, let alone make significant impact

From 2007 BJ basically has averaged 25 touches a season, with his disposal..... That's a dangerous player.

Arryn is nowhere near the player BJ was/is and if he gets 80% there, it'd be great. Having said that, Arryn has developed well.

I think there draft positions set their expectation somewhat.... Wrongly

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not saying Arryn is there yet but on what I have seen he is going to be at least a good player and potentially a great player to super star. Young Lenny had something about him despite the low possession count I didn't see it in BJ. He looked lost and lacked composure. I got it completely wrong because he became an excellent player...probably didn't get to champion yet but got close. Arryn has it all in his hands because he has played some very good games already and just needs to follow the lead the others have set.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Funnily enough at the time I thought BJ was the smartest rookie I had seen in the modern era. Wasn't around here in those days, so surprised to read now so many thought he was terrible when he started.

Angela Piposs will be a good player, can't see him getting near BJ levels however

Bring back the Lockett era
rexy
SS Life Member

The questioning of bj's early form has been popular with many on here throughout his career! All completely unjustified IMO. I remember him moving on to Koutain one of his very early games and nullifying him whilst attacking off HBat the same time, was always going to be class IMO.
Don't judge Sipposagainst another player, judge what he does. I like the look of him, like his kicking, second efforts and poise, needs to work on endurance, handball and consistency. I see some leadership potential too!

Maybe this year?
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Sippo can play no doubt about that. What I really love about the bloke is that he bleeds red, white and black, he's living every boy's dream playing for the team they grew up loving. Expect a stand out year from the man.

And gees he can kick a footy... 70m ball bursters... Going to love seeing him wheel around across half back and kick long penetrating bursters into space over the top for saady, tip rat, schneids, milera or dennis-lane to run onto pagan's paddock style.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Oh and as for BJ, he's a super footballer but I think I can count his really GREAT games..... the ones that he took over and grabbed by the pills on my fingers.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Let's watch with excitement at what sort of player Siposs develops into. He's not BJ. Not fair to keep comparing them.

sainter#4
Club Player

Besides Height and their booming kicks - I cant see much of a likeness between the two.

Goddard was more finesse in his actions and He only really turned a handful of games

Whilst its still very very VERY early. Sippo seems like a bull when he gets the ball - He loves side stepping one and then thumping the pill 60 meters.

He is exciting and seems like the type of player who can consistently alter games and there outcomes just out of his sheer thirst to take the game and opponent on.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see him kick it lower and out to a lead, rather than high on top of someone's head. I'm wondering whether the recent wonky skills is to do with his tank and fading out in quarters.
He'll still be a gun though.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Appears to be suffering from the exposure he received in the papers....................

believing in the story a bit much......................think he has made it

NOW COMES THE HARD PART AND REALLY HARD WORK

hope he works through it quickly

this period of an afl player determines those that make it

History says many don't

saint4life
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I felt he could be carrying an injury last night he went to roost the ball a couple of times and it dropped after about 30 meters both times to the opposition. Looked restricted. I saw Jack Steven, Dal and Joey this morning down in St Kilda and Joey particularly looked like his joints where frozen, footy takes it's toll on your body and Sippa might just be feeling the battering from a pretty rough preseason.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Sippa might just be feeling the battering from a pretty rough preseason.
...well in the hurly burly "full contact" of the H&A he will be gone then.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
felix
Club Player

Play him out of the forward pocket ..leading forward , he is a natural goal kicker not aback man at this stage . IMO

loris
Saintsational Legend

I noticed a couple of times he adopted that Brendon Goddard habit of kicking from a standing position to a player on his own some 25- 30 metres away Both times the kicked missed (fell short) and went to the opposition player who was a couple of metres in front of the Saint. Sippos was taken from the ground immediately after such a turnover.

So hope the lad isn't reading the press and think he will be the next BJ, because that was a very poor habit of Goddard's and occasionally brought him unstuck with a turnover or put the Saint player in a pressure situation he shouldn't have been in. Very lazy, arrrogant looking football. Aaryn would be better off concentrating on Goodard's better skills, not aping his poor ones IMHO.

Nevertheless I think the lad has tremendous skills and a lot of upside............. if comparing to Goddard as so many do.......... I think Sippa shows more promise at this satge of his career, than Goddard did at a similar stage............ and Goddard was a #1 draft pick............. so augers well for Siposs IMHO

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:I noticed a couple of times he adopted that Brendon Goddard habit of kicking from a standing position to a player on his own some 25- 30 metres away Both times the kicked missed (fell short) and went to the opposition player who was a couple of metres in front of the Saint. Sippos was taken from the ground immediately after such a turnover.

So hope the lad isn't reading the press and think he will be the next BJ, because that was a very poor habit of Goddard's and occasionally brought him unstuck with a turnover or put the Saint player in a pressure situation he shouldn't have been in. Very lazy, arrrogant looking football. Aaryn would be better off concentrating on Goodard's better skills, not aping his poor ones IMHO.

Nevertheless I think the lad has tremendous skills and a lot of upside............. if comparing to Goddard as so many do.......... I think Sippa shows more promise at this satge of his career, than Goddard did at a similar stage............ and Goddard was a #1 draft pick............. so augers well for Siposs IMHO
Exactly Loris. It took Goddard years to get to a decent standard. I rember the absolute flogging he copped on SS after games. People questioned his #1 draft selection on many an occasion. Lets hope Sippo is a keeper.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Sippo is sippo, this BJ comparison is silly imo press are bunch of F%^ks... he could end being our next HF who knows at this point.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Superboot
SS Life Member

felix wrote:Play him out of the forward pocket ..leading forward , he is a natural goal kicker not aback man at this stage . IMO
Agreed.

Doesn't look anything like being a defender. Not sure why they are trying to turn him into one.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He certainly looks to be a much more natural forward than defender. We've been searching for that medium marking HF since Hamill was out for 2 weeks, I'd be quite happy if they let Siposs develop into that role rather than forcing to play him down back.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Agree, must play forward.

A lot of promising signs, but I reckon he'd be disappointed with his first two games of 2013.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Sobraz
SS Life Member

As a defender, he is no good at defending... He is being used as the distributor from the back half, but has been getting a little lost and missing his targets... And in terms of stopping an opposition forward, he doesn't..

Perhaps there is a longer term view, get him to increase hisdefensive accountability and then use his obvious talent all over the park... I dont know... But to round 2, he is struggling, and IMO will struggle to hold his position this week...

I'm not concerned, I think he'll be our next superstar, and will explode after 50 odd games, but in between now and then he's going to tease and occasionally disappoint. The next 250 games after will be very enjoyable..

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wing....he can transition between back/fwd..,.

And allow a 20yo to have poor games.

His fitness and pace are the only concerns. If he had the tank (he doesn't) he could play midfield, wonderful off the deck.

I also think he's read the press a bit lately.

Quixote
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I also think he's read the press a bit lately.
Ego or getting down on himself you think?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo