Afl in Tassie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Afl in Tassie

So you keep saying.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Tasmanian Love StK.. Like people around Moorabbin do, Like people on the peninsula do... And why do you reckon that is?!

I'd think Collingwood aside, StK would be the most supported club fromMoorabbin to Portsea...

Tasmanians are proud and parochial people... One thing they love more than players at the club they support, is Tasmanian players at their clubs... And one thing they love more than their team, is their state.

We are proud of our history, which boasts a history of players that would rival any state... In fact our greatest players stand above many.
Stewart... Arguably the greatest Centreman
Hudson... Arguably the greatest FF
Hart... Arguably the greatest CHF
Baldock... Arguably the greatest player
Nash.... A freak

Throw in Croswell, Lawrence, Greening, Howell, Lynch, Richardson, Roach, Williams, Pritchard... The list goes on and on
Don't forget Jodie Arnol and Barry Brooks (I know he was from King Island but it's close enough).

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:.. Like asking me if I'd dump my wife for plugger66..
edited for accuracy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Why do you think that the AFL has just pumped millions into Melbourne if they don't want 10 vic sides? Surely it would have been the perfect opportunity to relocate or fold them?
I think they'd prefer controlled destruction. No clubs can fold in the middle of a TV rights deal, and a relocation would be expensive for the AFL so it doesn't make sense when they're already pouring money into GCS and GWS. But assuming those two clubs start to stand on their own two feet in five years or so, the AFL will have a bunch of cash flow freed up to make its next set of changes. They're long term thinkers over there, so I'm sure they're already writing papers on the options to keep the competition growing.

kell
Club Player

Tasmanians are getting tired of being drip fed games from Hawthorn and North and promises from the AFL that eventually we will definitely, maybe, in all likelihood, absolutely most probably get a license and our own team in the AFL......at some time in the future. We are sick of engagement rings...its time to walk down the aisle !!!! The Saints are a perfect fit in terms of history and would have a ready made supporter base. Lets do it!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote:Tasmanians are getting tired of being drip fed games from Hawthorn and North and promises from the AFL that eventually we will definitely, maybe, in all likelihood, absolutely most probably get a license and our own :D team in the AFL......at some time in the future. We are sick of engagement rings...its time to walk down the aisle !!!! The Saints are a perfect fit in terms of history and would have a ready made supporter base. Lets do it!
Welcome kell...

however you can stick that idea :D

I hope you get a team, you guys deserve it, but hopefully it doesn't mean losing my team...

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Does Tassie still produce the real quality footballers like it did in yesteryear

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just beat NT by 100 odd points in the kids and will win another Div 2 title. The seniors pumped the NEAFL also....

Quality in the AFL ATM
J.Riewoldt, G. Birchall, J.Howe, T.Bellchambers

Plenty of Solid players.... Hopefully Jimmy W turns out a goodn'

kell
Club Player

Dragit, I would be interested in your thoughts as to why you consider a relocation as losing your team.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

kell wrote:Dragit, I would be interested in your thoughts as to why you consider a relocation as losing your team.
If they were relocated to another state or country, then they wouldn't be my team anymore…

Fitzroy & South Melbourne are enough proof for me… they may have the same colours, but they're not the same teams…

I like going to see "my team" play "home games" in melbourne, where they have been for 140 years…

A relocation is akin to a new franchise to me, and I might as well start going for Gold Coast if we moved to Tassie… at least I could have a nice tropical holiday if I went up there to see a game…

Nothing against Tassie btw, beautiful place… But I didn't give my pocket money into a donation tin as a small child to see them move to another state.