Michael Barlow and our recruitment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Michael Barlow and our recruitment

Con Gorozidis wrote:To everyone who wants to sack the coach I want to punch you in the face.
If you are looking for a reason why we are third bottom look no further than Michael Barlow.
Did a pre season with us 5 years ago and we couldn't even Rookie him.
Wtf ???????
Our recruitment back then was f****** disgraceful.
We are now paying the piper.
We were under resourced under everything.
Disgrace.
Clubs make mistakes.

He was what, 22 when rookied?

Essentially he had 3/4 drafts to not get picked up until finally he was given a chance.

That being stated, it is the Saints fault he was not given a go by all other clubs prior.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:To rub salt into our wounds, Lyon now has the benefit of Nat Fyfe. Fyfe was picked up with the selection the he botched for Andrew Lovett. The footy gods never seem to reward us. Lyon must be laughing at his mistake now.
Pick 16 was Jasper Pittard. Fyfe was number 20.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I wonder why guys like Miles Sewell Brad Sewells brother who has won multiple VFL awards can't get a try out. His brother has deficiencies like Mitchell and barlow have but also some of their great qualities. They all look slow but just are natural footballers. J Pod was tarred with the same brush until he was given a go at 29. Goodes brother the same. Curren was good at VFL and hasn't struggles to lift up into AFL. I'm no recruiter but have a freakin look at them at least.
couple i would look at are 1, tippets brother ..fullback ..playing in sth aussie state league..and 2, mitch thorp....cutting it up in the tsl ...as captain coach of sth launceston....

but they won't look at them , will they...someone else will though... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:
SaintWodonga wrote:To rub salt into our wounds, Lyon now has the benefit of Nat Fyfe. Fyfe was picked up with the selection the he botched for Andrew Lovett. The footy gods never seem to reward us. Lyon must be laughing at his mistake now.
Pick 16 was Jasper Pittard. Fyfe was number 20.
The irony of that statement is that our recruiters at the time were mad keen of Jasper Pittard!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
lloyd21
Club Player

Jack Steven was a good pick

suss
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:Jack Steven was a good pick
We're trying to concentrate on our failures damn you!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I don't really care for the answers, just fishing?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
maverick wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:But do you know correct usage
of:
There, their and they're
Two, to and too
Could HAVE not of etc!
My favourite looser
As in our backline has been looser since we lost that loser Dawson?
:lol: :lol:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I always wonder how Sauntner would have managed in the AFL since Podsiadly has done well.

Kickit
Club Player

gringo wrote:I always wonder how Sauntner would have managed in the AFL since Podsiadly has done well.
Podsiadly isn't a shortarse ( 186cm ) stay at home forward though.
Sautner undoubtably a talent, but he would have needed to play a more aerobic role in the AFL I think.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
gringo wrote:I always wonder how Sauntner would have managed in the AFL since Podsiadly has done well.
Sautner undoubtably a talent, but he would have needed to play a more aerobic role in the AFL I think.

I imagine it's easier in an AFL environment though. Having training every day helps give you the base fitness to do that. We seemed to be searching for a mid sized forward under Ross but his age was already against him. Sauntner was a gun at VFL level.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Saunter would have made it as a FP alongside a big.

Bad timing for him, a great leading FF in the Heatley mould only disciplined with fitness. He may have further benefitted from the delivery at AFL level.

Kickit
Club Player

Brad Howard!
Everyone had done their phantom drafts and picked their top 20's.
Howard wasn't even in the list. No-one had heard of him. No-one!
Players we could have got with the Howard pick included:
Chris Dawes, Eric Mackenzie, Ricky Petterd, Kurt Tippett, Alwyn Davey, Todd Goldstein.

2008, a draft full of quality Mids. "Ohhh But I want forwards" says Ross. "The forwards in the draft are of poor quality Mr Lyon". "If I don't get forwards I'll hold my breath"

So we get Lynch ahead of Mitch Brown, Shoenmakers, Blease, Shuey, Ballentyne, Trengove, Zharakis, Suben, Redden, Beams , Hanneberry, Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones, Shiels.
While retrospective views are often misplaced, I maintain that it took a special talent to pick both Howard and Lynch ahead of the other players in these drafts. A chimpanzee armed with darts and Emma Quail's top 40 would have done better.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
spert wrote:I remember Geelong originally letting Greg Williams go for being a bit average and too slow- seemed to do well after that.
That was Carlton. They sent him back to Golden Square. He then made his way to Geelong, then to Sydney for more money, then to Carlton for even more money !!
Correct..and my Bendigo buddy has reminded me since. Williams didn't set the world on fire originally though went on to be a star. Just shows that you can't really guarantee anything recruiting-wise, but a club does need recruiters who look at the bigger picture and not just plugging gaps for the short term.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Kickit wrote:

I imagine it's easier in an AFL environment though. Having training every day helps give you the base fitness to do that. We seemed to be searching for a mid sized forward under Ross but his age was already against him. Sauntner was a gun at VFL level.

No way could Sauntner play AFL footy. To slow for his height to be an AFL player. Not good enough on the ground.

hayes66
Club Player

Kickit wrote:Brad Howard!
Everyone had done their phantom drafts and picked their top 20's.
Howard wasn't even in the list. No-one had heard of him. No-one!
Players we could have got with the Howard pick included:
Chris Dawes, Eric Mackenzie, Ricky Petterd, Kurt Tippett, Alwyn Davey, Todd Goldstein.

2008, a draft full of quality Mids. "Ohhh But I want forwards" says Ross. "The forwards in the draft are of poor quality Mr Lyon". "If I don't get forwards I'll hold my breath"

So we get Lynch ahead of Mitch Brown, Shoenmakers, Blease, Shuey, Ballentyne, Trengove, Zharakis, Suben, Redden, Beams , Hanneberry, Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones, Shiels.
While retrospective views are often misplaced, I maintain that it took a special talent to pick both Howard and Lynch ahead of the other players in these drafts. A chimpanzee armed with darts and Emma Quail's top 40 would have done better.
Interesting. You seem to have pretty strong opinions. Am I right to assume you believe, Mitch Brown, Ryan Shoemakers, Sam Blease ( who struggles to get a regular game with Melb), Liam Jones are definitely better players and or will have better careers than Tom Lynch?
I don't know if you followed Adelaide this year but I'm pretty sure they have extended Tom Lynch's contract and are very happy with him.
And if you follow the Brownlow tonight I am pretty sure Tom will receive more Brownlow votes than those players I have mentioned.

Kickit
Club Player

Well lets just say that Lynch was not right for StKilda and Ross Lyon's game plan.
My general point about that draft is that it was loaded with talent and you didn't need to be a drafting genius to get someone useful. Most teams came away from that draft with a couple of handy players.
We've just got Stanley and the jury is still out.

hayes66
Club Player

Kickit wrote:Well lets just say that Lynch was not right for StKilda and Ross Lyon's game plan.
My general point about that draft is that it was loaded with talent and you didn't need to be a drafting genius to get someone useful. Most teams came away from that draft with a couple of handy players.
We've just got Stanley and the jury is still out.
I must admit I don't understand and I don't get your point. Particularly when you add Simpkin and Dawson ( A potential premiership player) were picked up in the rookie draft. Not to mention Ray as a trade. By my calculations that's potentially five players.
As regards to Lynch not right for St Kilda. How did you come to that conclusion? If he ends up a good AFL player, which I happen to think he will, does that mean good AFL players don't suit St Kilda?
Maybe that's the reason The Saints have only won one flag.
And when you are making big statements like," A gorilla aiming at a dart board could of done better" or something to that effect, do you take into your expert analyses where The Saints picks were?
Lynch at 13 and then the Saints didn't have a pick till 47 which they got Stanley at.