Roo Bags Seaford

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo Bags Seaford

whiskers3614 wrote:
So being a true supporter involves total acceptance and worship of anything the players do and say?
I better give it a go and see if I can become as ideologically pure as the Fireman.

1)Milne is the greatest small forward ever and worthy of financial support to clear his name from the conspiracy created by Malthouse, the girl concerned the police and the MARTIANS!
2)Riewoldt is the greatest footballer and captain ever and we were lucky to get him for a mere $1 mill plus p/annum
his finger pointing and glaring at team-mates who don't pass it to him are really exercises recommended to him by physios to stretch his HAMSTRINGS.
of course he isn't a sook, after all it only took him one and a half years to get over his willie being photographed and photo put on the net, now that's true courage and leadership after all some Holocaust and child sex abuse survivors don't ever get over their trauma!
3)Steven Baker was an ornament to the game who was unfairly maligned by Farmer, DEmetriou the umpires, the media and opposition supporters.
He graciously interrupted his PH D studies in nuclear physics and curing cancer to play for Saints and should have won multiple Brownlows as well as a Nobel peace prize.

Is that enough penance for a start?
Please advise how I am going on my path to true enlightenment and appropriate supporterhood
Being a true supporter is someone who supports a club through thick and thin, no need to worship anybody simply acknowledge a players on field contribution to the club , off field you can judge as you see fit.
1. Milne is one of the greatest crumbing forwards of all time and a champion of our club.
2 Roo is a club champion and one of our best of all time.
3 Baker was a tough player who did what was needed to saty in the game as others from other clubs have done in the past...certainly no ornament ...not sure where you are going with that but all in all you show a deep disrespect to some our greatest players....who do you really support ? because you certainly don't deserve to be a Saint supporter and quite frankly supporters like you are a cancer to any club.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Unless you’re a big, rich, powerful, successful club then you’ve got to stand for something.

We are not one of those clubs.

If we are to avoid being the next Fitzroy then we have to stand for something.

The Bulldogs have only won 1 flag just like us. And they’ve travelled worse than us both on field and on field since that flag. They’ve been mooted for merger but they’re still here. And it’s because they represent the entire Western Suburbs of Melbourne, not just the suburb of Footscray, that they are able to gain the support of the AFL, Governments and Sponsors.

If we were just a suburban club playing out of St Kilda, or Moorabbin, we would be at great risk, particular during these periods of rebuilding, low membership, financial woes etc.

We may not love the way our sport has gone but if we really want to see our team remain as a viable entity in Melbourne, we must accept reality and embrace these changes.

Forget the fixation on particular suburbs.

We must be prepared to accept that we aiming to be a club for all the Southern and Bayside areas.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Wondering around the Seaford complex, it just looks and feels to me like a nice neat big country sports facility in the scrub next to a freeway, and not a home for a high-profile AFL team in a major city. The Moorabbin facility is a decaying leftover from the past, and if were up to me, I would probably get together with the St Kilda cricket club, the state government, Port Phillip council etc., and look to develop the Junction Oval as a home for the club. The location is great, it would be a good marketing move, trams run past and it is close to a lot of younger cashed-up population who I think would embrace an AFL club in their midst. Of course cash is the major player in what happens next to the club, but I would really like to see some big-picture stuff from the board regarding our future.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Wondering around the Seaford complex, it just looks and feels to me like a nice neat big country sports facility in the scrub next to a freeway, and not a home for a high-profile AFL team in a major city. The Moorabbin facility is a decaying leftover from the past, and if were up to me, I would probably get together with the St Kilda cricket club, the state government, Port Phillip council etc., and look to develop the Junction Oval as a home for the club. The location is great, it would be a good marketing move, trams run past and it is close to a lot of younger cashed-up population who I think would embrace an AFL club in their midst. Of course cash is the major player in what happens next to the club, but I would really like to see some big-picture stuff from the board regarding our future.

I really think we need to forget the Junction Oval. It will be Seaford or maybe eventually back at Moorabbin. And I still havent seen anyone tell me why it matters where we train. Lets just say we train at the Junction. We still only have 100 people going to watch and half the population who live around that area move after a few years anyway. I doubt anyone changes clubs because a side trains near them so it would take 10 to 20 years to get the kids from that area to follow us and im thinking there are many more families down Seaford way than St Kilda way based on the people I know in the area. yes there maybe young 20 somethings there but they have their club and when they have families a hell of a lot move to the outer suburbs like down Seaford way.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

your right Plug , it doesn't matter where we train but I think we need a stable home...a good one like the Lexus centre or the new one being built near the airport by the druggies. I like the idea of the Junction Oval ...back to our roots and a high profile area. But it must be a state of the Art complex that will benefit many which will invite Govt funding aside from AFL funding. A complex that stands out as a top class advertisement for the club.

The Junction Oval ticks a lot of boxes.

PS and lined with statues of our greats. Like Milney etc... :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:your right Plug , it doesn't matter where we train but I think we need a stable home...a good one like the Lexus centre or the new one being built near the airport by the druggies. I like the idea of the Junction Oval ...back to our roots and a high profile area. But it must be a state of the Art complex that will benefit many which will invite Govt funding aside from AFL funding. A complex that stands out as a top class advertisement for the club.

What boxes? I dont see any benefit at all in the Junction oval just negatives. We do need a stable home though. I reckon the junction oval would be about the 20th ground picked if we had a choice. The ground size isnt even big enough and there is no room to make it bigger. Its a small site. Have a look how big Essendon have built their site. If we were at the Junction I reckon the way footy moves we would outgrow it in 5 years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Be nice to get some toilets at seaford

Toilets, and a bench around the perimeter.

If funding is an issue, approach caroma or Reece plumbing to fund it, plaster their name all over it and it can be the "brand name" toilet block. It can be seen from the peninsula link after all.

Seating, again ask a potential sponsor, take a seat thanks to "brand name"

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:your right Plug , it doesn't matter where we train but I think we need a stable home...a good one like the Lexus centre or the new one being built near the airport by the druggies. I like the idea of the Junction Oval ...back to our roots and a high profile area. But it must be a state of the Art complex that will benefit many which will invite Govt funding aside from AFL funding. A complex that stands out as a top class advertisement for the club.

What boxes? I dont see any benefit at all in the Junction oval just negatives. We do need a stable home though. I reckon the junction oval would be about the 20th ground picked if we had a choice. The ground size isnt even big enough and there is no room to make it bigger. Its a small site. Have a look how big Essendon have built their site. If we were at the Junction I reckon the way footy moves we would outgrow it in 5 years.
Profile is a big tick......more accessible ...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps that building is a little too phallic, Fiery. But I do like the idea of moving back to the Junction Oval.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Perhaps that building is a little too phallic, Fiery. But I do like the idea of moving back to the Junction Oval.
You can be "too" Phallic ??? :wink:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Perhaps that building is a little too phallic, Fiery. But I do like the idea of moving back to the Junction Oval.
No, just you. It would give "Jeff's Erection" a run for it's money.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
No, just you. It would give "Jeff's Erection" a run for it's money.
maybe it's just your mind...lol...the building represents sails..... Jeff's erection..the cheese stick ?

anyway if we do the joint up to play home games I'd be able to get to the game by helicopter :)

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Unless you’re a big, rich, powerful, successful club then you’ve got to stand for something.

We are not one of those clubs.

If we are to avoid being the next Fitzroy then we have to stand for something.

The Bulldogs have only won 1 flag just like us. And they’ve travelled worse than us both on field and on field since that flag. They’ve been mooted for merger but they’re still here. And it’s because they represent the entire Western Suburbs of Melbourne, not just the suburb of Footscray, that they are able to gain the support of the AFL, Governments and Sponsors.

If we were just a suburban club playing out of St Kilda, or Moorabbin, we would be at great risk, particular during these periods of rebuilding, low membership, financial woes etc.

We may not love the way our sport has gone but if we really want to see our team remain as a viable entity in Melbourne, we must accept reality and embrace these changes.

Forget the fixation on particular suburbs.

We must be prepared to accept that we aiming to be a club for all the Southern and Bayside areas.
Disagree re: the Bulldogs. They haven't had the high 'highs' we've had in the last twenty years (Grand Final appearances, finishing on top of the ladder, brownlows), but have had less low 'lows' than us. They haven't been the real doormat that we have been at times either. They're very different from us in terms of history too. They haven't had long consecutive finals appearances during eras that we have had either.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No two clubs can be the same but we are not that different to the Bulldogs. Both battling clubs and up against it. Both underdogs and still one flag each after a period of quite relative success.

Given we have had the wood over them in recent times though, we should beat the comfortably though because that's just the way it works.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Profile is a big tick......more accessible ...
Geez I hope the coffee shops are located on the ground floor, imagine the outcry if you had to get in an elevator and travel all the way to the upper floors for a coffee...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pleasing, you've named it IMO.

It's about accepting & extracting as many positives as possible.

Since we've moved there, it's like the NZL thing put the peninsula on the back burner.

I've said it heaps of times, but pies give membership stuff to New citizens of Australia, we should do that with new babies born in frankston and peninsula hospitals.

Little things like that...

Surely you jest! Their Pies supporting parents would disown them.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think you misunderstood, new citizens into Australia get pies stuff...we should put a twist on that and try and brainwash the babies. Teddy bear perhaps...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I think you misunderstood, new citizens into Australia get pies stuff...we should put a twist on that and try and brainwash the babies. Teddy bear perhaps...
Um, babies are just a tad too young to brainwash and we won't be changing any parents already established allegiances.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
spert
Saintsational Legend

Getting warm and fuzzy about the Junction Oval- and the prospect of a large Saints skyscraper next door, containing a disco of course!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Pleasing, you've named it IMO.

It's about accepting & extracting as many positives as possible.

Since we've moved there, it's like the NZL thing put the peninsula on the back burner.

I've said it heaps of times, but pies give membership stuff to New citizens of Australia, we should do that with new babies born in frankston and peninsula hospitals.

Little things like that...

That's a 20 year strategy!

We can't even nail a 5 year one...

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote: We do need a stable home though.
Flemington or Caufield :wink:

Before Im 85
onlooker2
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:
plugger66 wrote: We do need a stable home though.
Flemington or Caufield :wink:
Elsternwick Park??? T5he Cub's original choice after Junction Oval

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

onlooker2 wrote: Elsternwick Park??? T5he Cub's original choice after Junction Oval
There was a fair amount of talent at the Elwood RSL at the time.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:Image
Quick call 000 ...she is about to have 20 kids.