LTI rookie upgrade for Wright

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: LTI rookie upgrade for Wright

Shenton got 7.5 out of 10 for his quietest game this year. He's been outstanding for a while and was even good in that role last year. We have a serious lack of rebound running backs with Gilbert, Wright and Roberton all missing. Gwilt, Dempster and JWeb are all more like midsized KPPs than runners who will carry the ball up into the midfield. GCS played Mav there last year and he wasn't outstanding as he is a little slow and probably more suited to a midfield rotation or tagging role both of which are covered by guys like Seb and Curren.

Shenton for me.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

When would a promotion off the rookie list have to be completed by in order for a rookie to be named in the team?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Megamaguire
Club Player

P A V S t i l l P l a y i n g

joffaboy wrote:Are we ever going to elevate Tommy Walsh off the rookie list.

I hear he will be a champion rivalling Carey.

Pavlich is still in the frame so Lyon will keep Walsh warming the pine.
:)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I'm not convinced by Shenton. Yes, he is once again an excellent VFL player (as he was before we recruited him and his form dropped off) but I don't see any weapons that would worry opposition sides. He's a reasonably well-rounded half back at VFL level but his pace, skill and strength won't stand out at AFL level. He's also an in-between size where he can't quite play on third tall marking options but you wouldn't man him up against a dangerous small either. So he would have to play on the least dangerous forward/resting midfielder and I'd much prefer to have a more talented, skilled rebounder who can set up goals from half back lining up on the least dangerous forward.

I just cant see how Shenton gets in the team on any regular basis ahead of Gilbert, Fisher, Dempster, Roberton, Geary, Webster, Wright, Gwilt, Ray, Newnes, Schneider, Murdoch, Siposs, Dunell and Acres who are all vying for a few spots playing a similar role to Shenton.

I believe Weller should be closer to promotion, though with Ross in excellent form he should get the nod this week for Armo.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I'm not convinced by Shenton. Yes, he is once again an excellent VFL player (as he was before we recruited him and his form dropped off) but I don't see any weapons that would worry opposition sides. He's a reasonably well-rounded half back at VFL level but his pace, skill and strength won't stand out at AFL level. He's also an in-between size where he can't quite play on third tall marking options but you wouldn't man him up against a dangerous small either. So he would have to play on the least dangerous forward/resting midfielder and I'd much prefer to have a more talented, skilled rebounder who can set up goals from half back lining up on the least dangerous forward.

I just cant see how Shenton gets in the team on any regular basis ahead of Gilbert, Fisher, Dempster, Roberton, Geary, Webster, Wright, Gwilt, Ray, Newnes, Schneider, Murdoch, Siposs, Dunell and Acres who are all vying for a few spots playing a similar role to Shenton.

I believe Weller should be closer to promotion, though with Ross in excellent form he should get the nod this week for Armo.

i remember posters on here calling for milne to be upgraded from the rookie list and a similar if not greater number arguing that he wasn't and never would be up to afl level...too small, too slow and lacking in skills.....they said....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I'm not convinced by Shenton. Yes, he is once again an excellent VFL player (as he was before we recruited him and his form dropped off) but I don't see any weapons that would worry opposition sides. He's a reasonably well-rounded half back at VFL level but his pace, skill and strength won't stand out at AFL level. He's also an in-between size where he can't quite play on third tall marking options but you wouldn't man him up against a dangerous small either. So he would have to play on the least dangerous forward/resting midfielder and I'd much prefer to have a more talented, skilled rebounder who can set up goals from half back lining up on the least dangerous forward.

i remember posters on here calling for milne to be upgraded from the rookie list and a similar if not greater number arguing that he wasn't and never would be up to afl level...too small, too slow and lacking in skills.....they said....

He played round 4 in his first year. I dont think people were argueing to long.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i remember posters on here calling for milne to be upgraded from the rookie list and a similar if not greater number arguing that he wasn't and never would be up to afl level...too small, too slow and lacking in skills.....they said....
I can't say I can see any relevance whatsoever Milne's situation has to Shenton. Milne was a once-in-a-generation (and perhaps the last of his kind) small forward who was supremely talented but was initially overlooked due to his size and lack of versatility. It took him three games on our list as a 20 year old before he was elevated and went on to become by far the best small forward in St Kilda's history.

This is Shenton's third year on our list, not third week and he even got an elevation last year, and he performed exactly as you'd expect a VFL quality half back to if given a game in the AFL. He had seven uncontested possessions in a comfortable win against the Suns before being subbed off with soreness.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

what i was hinting at ..if not actually suggesting...was that people's opinions on here about when, if and why a rookie should be upgraded mean jack sh!t

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:what i was hinting at ..if not actually suggesting...was that people's opinions on here about when, if and why a rookie should be upgraded mean jack sh!t
People's opinions on here about everything mean jack s***, but it'd be a boring forum if no-one stated them!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
stinger wrote:i remember posters on here calling for milne to be upgraded from the rookie list and a similar if not greater number arguing that he wasn't and never would be up to afl level...too small, too slow and lacking in skills.....they said....
I can't say I can see any relevance whatsoever Milne's situation has to Shenton. Milne was a once-in-a-generation (and perhaps the last of his kind) small forward who was supremely talented but was initially overlooked due to his size and lack of versatility. It took him three games on our list as a 20 year old before he was elevated and went on to become by far the best small forward in St Kilda's history.

This is Shenton's third year on our list, not third week and he even got an elevation last year, and he performed exactly as you'd expect a VFL quality half back to if given a game in the AFL. He had seven uncontested possessions in a comfortable win against the Suns before being subbed off with soreness.

What if Milne had played one quarter and never been given another chance? Right now there is a lack of guys who play his best position. He should be next in line IMO.

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

too long

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

too long

Thanks. However if you continue to correct all my spelling mistakes you will post more than me.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So..........it's not just English that is a weakness for p66

I get the gist of his witty retort but the maths doesn't add up 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:So..........it's not just English that is a weakness for p66

I get the gist of his witty retort but the maths doesn't add up 8-)

You do realise he posts on other topics as well.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Absolute rubbish. Do you ever actually go and watch Sandringham play?

Firstly he's lined up on and beaten a host of AFL players in the VFL. Secondly it's the only forum we've got to assess the progress of those on the list who aren't playing in the ones. He's flying and still improving. As Gringo remarks his role is as a running defender. You've identified a couple in your long list but strangely you have him also competing with Siposs- a forward, Schneider - a small forward, Fisher KPD etc, etc.
The club saw enough last year to retain him on the list. Open your eyes.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Lets go through these individually

Gilbert - 6-8 weeks away
Fisher - hardly played in 12 months? Semi-retired?
Dempster - plays every week
Roberton - injured/out of form
Geary - GOP
Webster - I love him & rate him but he had a stinker on the weekend.
Wright -LTI
Gwilt - controversial but plays every week pretty much
Ray - plays every week pretty much on a wing
Newnes - plays every week
Schneider - plays fwd line
Murdoch - long way back at this stage. Position unclear. Medium utility.
Siposs - see Murdoch
Dunell -see Siposs
Acres - Just a kid. Played his first senior adult match on the weekend. No need to rush him.

So to me there is a spot for Shenton - maybe not permanent. But I wouldn't mind giving him a 4-5 game trial period while Gilbo is out so we at least can make an informed decision on him before the year is out.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 17 Apr 2014 12:10am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:what i was hinting at ..if not actually suggesting...was that people's opinions on here about when, if and why a rookie should be upgraded mean jack sh!t
People's opinions on here about everything mean jack s***, but it'd be a boring forum if no-one stated them!
God summation

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Absolute rubbish. Do you ever actually go and watch Sandringham play?
Nope, rarely. Except when on ABC and I follow match reports closely.
Firstly he's lined up on and beaten a host of AFL players in the VFL. Secondly it's the only forum we've got to assess the progress of those on the list who aren't playing in the ones. He's flying and still improving. As Gringo remarks his role is as a running defender. You've identified a couple in your long list but strangely you have him also competing with Siposs- a forward, Schneider - a small forward, Fisher KPD etc, etc.

He's playing well in the VFL. Just like hundreds of VFL quality players have before him. Siposs has obviously been trialled as a half back and wingman. Schneider as well, and Fisher has played most of his career playing as a spare man in defence or loose off his opponent, just as Shenton needa to because he is not a good defender.
The club saw enough last year to retain him on the list. Open your eyes.

The club saw enough to appoint Watters, trade for Lovett, recruit TDL, move to Seaford, let Ball walk for nothing and trade pick 17 for Fergus Watts. You open your eyes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
God summation

Bergholt is good but not that good. Leave stuff for the Abletts.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Bergholt is good but not that good. Leave stuff for the Abletts.
God you are a card plugger.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Lets go through these individually

Gilbert - 6-8 weeks away
Fisher - hardly played in 12 months? Semi-retired?
Dempster - plays every week
Roberton - injured/out of form
Geary - GOP
Webster - I love him & rate him but he had a stinker on the weekend.
Wright -LTI
Gwilt - controversial but plays every week pretty much
Ray - plays every week pretty much on a wing
Newnes - plays every week
Schneider - plays fwd line
Murdoch - long way back at this stage. Position unclear. Medium utility.
Siposs - see Murdoch
Dunell -see Siposs
Acres - Just a kid. Played his first senior adult match on the weekend. No need to rush him.

So to me there is a spot for Shenton - maybe not permanent. But I wouldn't mind giving him a 4-5 game trial period while Gilbo is out so we at least can make an informed decision on him before the year is out.
I think we really can't have more than three or four of these guys playing off half back, and we've currently got Dempster, Gwilt, Webster, Geary, Newnes, and Ray in there (with the last three going through the middle). I really want to see Schneider used as a rebounder when he comes back into the team, hopefully this week. Then Fisher and Roberton will be very close to returning as well. I just don't see the point in trying to squeeze a rookie into the team when there are plenty of other options who are either clearly more talented or have more potential to become regular players.

Don't get me wrong, if Shenton is elevated and cements a spot in the seniors I'll be thrilled, I just can't see it happening. I don't see the attributes that make him anything more than just acceptable in a role where you really want to be immensely skilled and composed or brilliant defensively.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

you got me there.... :wink: :wink: :wink: ...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
God summation

why bring the lord into the argument...??? :roll:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Weller for mine. Simply because he has AFL experiance and can impact games straight away

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Still no sign of an upgrade. May not be happening this week.