Some Targets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Some Targets

jonesy wrote:
bergholt wrote:
jonesy wrote:My motto in the modern game is draft as many young gun midfielders as you can. You can't have enough of them. Show me a side who hasn't been in contention because they are top heavy with midfielders?
Western Bulldogs 2004 to 2010? Never going all the way because they lacked key position talent.
Yeah they had zilch,but I don't think they had an overload of gun midfielders either. Just lots of those ok half back/half forward run and carry types. Having said all this, they were still top 4 on several occasions in this era,and in 'contention' a lot .
Scott West, Matty Boyd, Adam Cooney, Daniel Cross, Rohan Smith, Brad Johnson, Bob Murphy, Ryan Griffen, Lindsay Gilbee, Shaun Higgins. I agree they were weighted towards free runners but at their peak some of those guys finished well up in Brownlow Medals: Cooney 1st, West 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Boyd 4th and 5th, Johnson 5th. If they'd ended up with Mitch Clark instead of Higgins from the 05 draft then I reckon they could have gone a lot further.

Rosco
Club Player

And half back / half fwd is where your extra mids end up when they can't fit in the midfield

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

jonesy wrote:
bergholt wrote:
jonesy wrote:My motto in the modern game is draft as many young gun midfielders as you can. You can't have enough of them. Show me a side who hasn't been in contention because they are top heavy with midfielders?
Western Bulldogs 2004 to 2010? Never going all the way because they lacked key position talent.
Yeah they had zilch,but I don't think they had an overload of gun midfielders either. Just lots of those ok half back/half forward run and carry types. Having said all this, they were still top 4 on several occasions in this era,and in 'contention' a lot .
Despite winning a bunch of games, they were never even remotely close to winning the comp.

Too many softy outside flankers and their mids were not quality users of the ball.

If Barry Hall came in 2008 it would have been a different story, alas, it was not.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I reckon 10 clubs would give their first pick up for Carlisle so the bombers would have a choice. 37 & Ross is not going to get near it, he'd be a great get for any side though.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Did WCE win without key position forwards. Hansen was nothing special, and they had a plethora of great midfielders

FQF
SS Life Member

Geelong won their first flag of this era with a good forward in Mooney but he was far from a superstar, and a very effective floating ruck man (Ottens).

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

bergholt wrote:
Scott West, Matty Boyd, Adam Cooney, Daniel Cross, Rohan Smith, Brad Johnson, Bob Murphy, Ryan Griffen, Lindsay Gilbee, Shaun Higgins. I agree they were weighted towards free runners but at their peak some of those guys finished well up in Brownlow Medals: Cooney 1st, West 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Boyd 4th and 5th, Johnson 5th. If they'd ended up with Mitch Clark instead of Higgins from the 05 draft then I reckon they could have gone a lot further.
I agree - they had some great ball winners - they also had one the leagues best backmen in Lake,
but were never able to "groom" a top five forward - (not for lack of trying Im sure) instead they were left in the situation of buying the over-due end of career players - Ackermanis, Hall etc

I hear Fyfe will be up for grabs...

Seeya
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bulldogs
Cross, Boyd, Cooney

gun Mids

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would give my right testicle for Fyfe but I would be shocked if he left the Dockers.

Unless he has a phobia for flying - then we might be able to get him to Melbourne as he would only have a fly a few times per year.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I would give my right testicle for Fyfe but I would be shocked if he left the Dockers.

Unless he has a phobia for flying - then we might be able to get him to Melbourne as he would only have a fly a few times per year.
What would you give for Pendlebury then?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bulldogs
Cross, Boyd, Cooney

gun Mids
No way Cross a gun mid.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not now...

200 games
Runner Up B&F 4 times and twice in a side that finished top 4

He was certainly a great contested ball Centreman and inside mid.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not now...

200 games
Runner Up B&F 4 times and twice in a side that finished top 4

He was certainly a great contested ball Centreman and inside mid.

I rated Cross in his day. He suited that era. Now the clean users are currency he isn't rated but he was a very high output player. Bulldogs nearly beat us in the 09 prelim and then no one would be talking them down. They could never get Higgins right and then lost Harbrow and Ward. They were pretty unlucky.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I would give my right testicle for Fyfe but I would be shocked if he left the Dockers.

What would you give for Pendlebury then?
Well for Pendles at 22yo - Could be a two testes jobs :D :D

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Cross, good player, excellent career, not a gun for mine though.
Definition of a gun probably does differ I suppose...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would give nothing away (as in DPs)

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I would give nothing away (as in DPs)
Are we still talking about Daniel Cross?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

There are a number of others at GWS not getting a game! The FF they took with pick 12 last draft, from W.A. Mcsomething. Jon Rourke, a top 10 pick the previous draft. A very highly thought of mid.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:There are a number of others at GWS not getting a game! The FF they took with pick 12 last draft, from W.A. Mcsomething. Jon Rourke, a top 10 pick the previous draft. A very highly thought of mid.

Mc Carthy the great mc carthy has a ring to it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do ten clubs have SC room...

If we aren't in. The best SC position of any team in the AFL I'll go hee?...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do ten clubs have SC room...

But how do we get players even if we had room? You said you wouldnt trade DP and we have no tradable players bar Steven.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

But how do we get players even if we had room? You said you wouldnt trade DP and we have no tradable players bar Steven.
I think the idea is to get them via free agency. Personally though I think we're still a couple of years away from targeting a free agent. Also don't think many of them would want to come to the Saints at the moment anyway.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Freo, Port, WBD, Coll, Haw, Geel, Carl, Melb, GWS & Bris could probably all squeeze Carlisle in if he were available.

70s sainter
Club Player

The thing is free agents are all at least 26 years old.
So if youre talking a young gun who wants out for some reason you either trade picks or players to get them (try to screw their club of course)
otherwise, the only other way is they walk from their club and nominate the team they wish to go to with a certain price on their head and get picked up in the draft or pre season draft (ie luke ball - prick- nominating coll only as the club he would go to or he would step away from footy - yeh right- still wish melbourne picked him anyway -f@#k him)
We have a good position in the pre season draft as we have cash and will likely be the first melbourne based team.

Correct me if im wrong on any of this.

FQF
SS Life Member

Maybe Savage will have some residual trade value from being an emergency at Hawthorn...