Gia takes out someone else

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Gia takes out someone else

kimberly saint wrote:id hardly call gia a thug, wat happened to kosi was really unfortunate . 100 worst acts on footy field in my life, couple that spring to mind plugger destroying cavens head and that cracking hit on ling by powell in practice granny. Poor old kosi had no awareness and was riddled with bad luck :cry:
Wow. Just wow.

Plugger_87

dogs dont lose their bark

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
kimberly saint wrote:id hardly call gia a thug, wat happened to kosi was really unfortunate . 100 worst acts on footy field in my life, couple that spring to mind plugger destroying cavens head and that cracking hit on ling by powell in practice granny. Poor old kosi had no awareness and was riddled with bad luck :cry:
Wow. Just wow.
yep....the extent of the ignorance is actually mind blowing.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
#gosaintas
Club Player

That hit on Kosi was an unfortunate head clash that Kosi should have seen coming. He will go for this one though. Lined him up and took him high and late.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

#gosaintas wrote:That hit on Kosi was an unfortunate head clash that Kosi should have seen coming. He will go for this one though. Lined him up and took him high and late.
Some people really need go and watch this incident again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:That hit on Kosi was an unfortunate head clash that Kosi should have seen coming. He will go for this one though. Lined him up and took him high and late.

It was legal back then and now thankfully it isnt. Kosi still should have seen it coming but glad they stamped that stuff out.

lewdogs
Club Player

Why should he have seen it coming? Sorry but I just don't get that. Kosi wasn't even considering pressuring the man with the ball at the time.

Gia wanted to hurt someone that day for personal reasons, one of the most disgusting acts I have seen and ruined a career so good on him.

lewdogs
Club Player

He succeeded I mean

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote:Why should he have seen it coming? Sorry but I just don't get that. Kosi wasn't even considering pressuring the man with the ball at the time.

Gia wanted to hurt someone that day for personal reasons, one of the most disgusting acts I have seen and ruined a career so good on him.

Never saw Plugger, Big carl, Robbie Muir? I doubt Gis wanted to hurt someone for personal reasons unless of course you know that to be true.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Giansiracusa was cited for rough conduct after laying a high bump on Port Adelaide's Jared Polec at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday afternoon.

The bump was assessed as reckless, low impact and high contact.

Giansiracusa's carryover points pushed the initial penalty to 295.31 points, which is just shy of a three-match suspension.

Even if he accepts a discount for pleading guilty, he will still have to miss two matches.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:
I was twenty metres from that hit, sitting with two forums members, bigred, and b4e. Kosi didn't see it coming, but Giansircusa jumped and hit shoulder to shoulder.

The damage was done when their heads clashed. Giansircusa was down for about 30 seconds before heading for the interchange.

It was a clash of heads, but would nowdays get him weeks.

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
lewdogs wrote:Why should he have seen it coming? Sorry but I just don't get that. Kosi wasn't even considering pressuring the man with the ball at the time.

Never saw Plugger, Big carl, Robbie Muir? I doubt Gis wanted to hurt someone for personal reasons unless of course you know that to be true.
Agree, if he wanted to delibertely hurt someone, he wouldn't have used his head to do it :roll:

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Agree, if he wanted to delibertely hurt someone, he wouldn't have used his head to do it :roll:

And if he as gutless as people say then surely you dont go for the 6 foot 6 bloke when we had Milne playing. Im glad that stuff is out now but back then it was seen as ok for some strange reason. Should never have been ok and im sure many sainters have got away with what Gia did.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Will (should) be assessed as Reckless Conduct (2), Medium Impact (2), High Contact (2) for six activation points and a level 3 offence. This attracts 325 points on a rough conduct charge.
If he has a good record and takes the early plea this will result in a one week ban with 82.81 points carried over.

Low impact for sure.
Well...It seems that the dopey MRP agreed with your assessment.
If it had not been for a poor record and carry over points, he'd have got away with a one week penalty.
His charge was worthy of 225 (according to the MRP).

This is where why the majority that push punishment of the action rather than the outcome can't fathom it.
Gia's actions could have caused much greater damage than they did. It's only dumb luck that they didn't.

If the Port player had have been concussed and unable to return the impact would have been graded as high.

The acceleration and mass of Gia doesn't change so the force of the impact is the same but if Gia hits him in the temple and knocks him out then that, somehow, changes the impact from low to high.

It's just ludicrous.

Anyway...He gets two weeks and is lucky to be given that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Will (should) be assessed as Reckless Conduct (2), Medium Impact (2), High Contact (2) for six activation points and a level 3 offence. This attracts 325 points on a rough conduct charge.
If he has a good record and takes the early plea this will result in a one week ban with 82.81 points carried over.

Low impact for sure.
If it had not been for a poor record and carry over points, he'd have got away with a one week penalty.

This is where why the majority that push punishment of the action rather than the outcome can't fathom it.
Gia's actions could have caused much greater damage than they did. It's only dumb luck that they didn't.

If the Port player had have been concussed and unable to return the impact would have been graded as high.

The acceleration and mass of Gia doesn't change so the force of the impact is the same but if Gia hits him in the temple and knocks him out then that, somehow, changes the impact from low to high.

It's just ludicrous.

People say that but surely the outcome must count. If i whack a guy out on the town and he gets up and then whacks me and the cops see it then we may both be charged with a very minor offence. If I whack a guy and he doesnt get up and ends up dead then I will get a major charge against me. Yes its dumb luck but so is the bump when shepparding.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Low impact for sure.

It's just ludicrous.

People say that but surely the outcome must count. If i whack a guy out on the town and he gets up and then whacks me and the cops see it then we may both be charged with a very minor offence. If I whack a guy and he doesnt get up and ends up dead then I will get a major charge against me. Yes its dumb luck but so is the bump when shepparding.
Of course the result should count but at the moment it's the only thing that does.
The action should count more than the outcome.

Using your logic, if I pushed someone in a scuffle and they slipped over and cracked their head on the pavement and wound up in a coma and died then I'd be in more trouble than if I fired a gun at someone intending to kill them and only grazed their arm requiring a bandage.
One act was the result of an accident and the other act was designed to kill. But under your logic I'd be in more trouble for the first act.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Low impact for sure.

It's just ludicrous.

Of course the result should count but at the moment it's the only thing that does.
The action should count more than the outcome.

Using your logic, if I pushed someone in a scuffle and they slipped over and cracked their head on the pavement and wound up in a coma and died then I'd be in more trouble than if I fired a gun at someone intending to kill them and only grazed their arm requiring a bandage.
One act was the result of an accident and the other act was designed to kill. But under your logic I'd be in more trouble for the first act.

No it wouldnt because that would be classed as an accident as some things are on a footy field.

The MRP work on a points system and you have to have some guidelines. The other option is to back to the previous system that was even worse but it just happened to be before social media went over the top. He jumped up and didnt hurt the guy. Considering that 2 weeks certainly seems fair to me.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The problem with all of this is that the penalties don't really seem to promote deterrence. Which is, I assume, why we have these types of penalties in the first place. Trying to stop bad things from happening before they happen.

I appreciate that all of this happens in a split second on the field, and that players aren't likely to have "likely weeks rubbed out" at the forefront of their minds when deciding to jump and bump, or not jump and bump.

But f you take the risk of causing serious injury to someone, it seems to me that you ought to be penalised accordingly, even if you don't in fact cause serious injury. The fact that bloke X has a tougher skull than bloke Y seems to me to be irrelevant. Downgrading the degree of "impact" based on whether someone gets up or doesn't seems to me to have the potential to produce absurd results.

Putting the Gia incident to one side, I really feel like they need to take a closer look at the message they are sending when potentially dangerous head-high bumps are downgraded based on perceived degree of "impact". The base penalty should be higher. If you do cause serious injury, that might mean that the penalty is even higher, but we don't want to wait for that to happen before something is done.

Always loyal
arpstk
Club Player

Why should he have seen it coming? Sorry but I just don't get that. Kosi wasn't even considering pressuring the man with the ball at the time.

Footy is a dangerous game but even more so back then...There were coaches that would tear strips off players if you didn't line up someone when it was your turn...so I'm with the crew that say Gia is a bulldog but not a dog...2 weeks

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:
two matches...fair enough....mongrel dog ..imho

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Could have blocked, chose to hurt.

Could have stayed on his feet, chose to jump.

Could have hit the body, chose the head.

There is a reason why this isn't acceptable on a footy field anymore, because it's dangerous and against the spirit of the game. Giansiracusa chose to do something dangerous and against the spirit of the game. That is hardly accidental or unfortunate.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:

Could have blocked, chose to hurt.

Could have stayed on his feet, chose to jump.

Could have hit the body, chose the head.

There is a reason why this isn't acceptable on a footy field anymore, because it's dangerous and against the spirit of the game. Giansiracusa chose to do something dangerous and against the spirit of the game. That is hardly accidental or unfortunate.

It was accidental because im sure he wasnt trying to knock Kosi or himself out. As the commentator said great bump. Glad they changed the rules to make that a bad bump.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I still remember that day.....and the comment of the boss....."how the hell could he not know he was coming?"

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
parky
Club Player

Taking out the Gia dog/not dog argument the thing that's always astounded me is that the incident was used from
that day forward to whack Kosi about his coordination. Yet every time I've seen that vision (including looking straight
down that wing on the day) I see the end result of 2 players being knocked out. Forgetting everything else, Gia should have
been equally condemned for the execution of his "skill" and exposing himself to injury.

parky
Club Player

Taking out the Gia dog/not dog argument the thing that's always astounded me is that the incident was used from
that day forward to whack Kosi about his coordination. Yet every time I've seen that vision (including looking straight
down that wing on the day) I see the end result of 2 players being knocked out. Forgetting everything else, Gia should have
been equally condemned for the execution of his "skill" and exposing himself to injury.