Number 1 pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Number 1 pick

Petracca

Watching our midfield the past two weeks is very concerning.

I figure we will have 3 picks in the top 40 without any dealing. Petracca is gold in this group.

We will also have the number one or two pick next year and 2016 most likely. I liked our drafting, trading and recruiting this year and believe that another two or three years of similar strategies will see us as the best placed Victorian team to have a tilt by 2018 onwards.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:Petracca

I figure we will have 3 picks in the top 40 without any dealing. Petracca is gold in this group.

We will also have the number one or two pick next year and 2016 most likely. I liked our drafting, trading and recruiting this year and believe that another two or three years of similar strategies will see us as the best placed Victorian team to have a tilt by 2018 onwards.
Also No.1 in the PSD if we want to pick up a disgruntled out of contract player

You are garbage - Enough said
older saint
SS Life Member

Meblourne will be looking mid field as have Hogan in the wings to come in and Roos loved mid field depth - something Melbourne don't have. Curve ball here is they may well try and do a trade like last year for Dom Tyson and Salem for Kelly to get 2 new guys in . I think there could be some creative trading. My thinking now is BEST Available Player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Meblourne will be looking mid field as have Hogan in the wings to come in and Roos loved mid field depth - something Melbourne don't have. Curve ball here is they may well try and do a trade like last year for Dom Tyson and Salem for Kelly to get 2 new guys in . I think there could be some creative trading. My thinking now is BEST Available Player.

Which is the problem. No one seems to know who that is.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Hutchy confirmed on twitter just now Patton ACL. May change a few things.

Club Player

anyone else watch demons gws today? Boyd looked a bit lost didn't do much from what i saw and he had a heap of space in the 50 one of the rare ones his year the F50 was one on one most of the game.

I know he's young 1st year but with melb i though he would have done a little more

Fortius Quo Fidelius
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Petracca

Agreed about our picks in the next few years. We will be in the bottom two or three for the next couple of seasons after thos one, as when our ypunger players start to improve, this is when the last of our grand final heroes will be hanging up their boots. Even 2018 will be a stretch. Reckon 2019 may be the year we return to finals action.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
falka
Club Player

Would anyone swap pick 1 for pick 4 and 20 from GWS? (assuming Frawley leaves and Melb get compo (pick 2+3)

Would you swap pick 1 (or hove mentioned pick 4) for Gold Coast Pick 7 and 15?

Leaving us Pick 4, 20 and 21 (approx)

or

Pick 7, 15, 20, 21.

Just a random thought

Instead of 1 and 21

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Out of interest McCartin kicked 5 on the weekend and Ryan McKenzie kicked 6.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:Would anyone swap pick 1 for pick 4 and 20 from GWS? (assuming Frawley leaves and Melb get compo (pick 2+3)

or

Pick 7, 15, 20, 21.

Just a random thought

Instead of 1 and 21

What?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
falka wrote:Would anyone swap pick 1 for pick 4 and 20 from GWS? (assuming Frawley leaves and Melb get compo (pick 2+3)

or

Pick 7, 15, 20, 21.

Just a random thought

Instead of 1 and 21
What?
I think he's saying we start with 1 and 21.

Then we give 1 to GWS for 4 and 20, leaving us with 4, 20 and 21.

Then we give 4 to GC for 7 and 15, leaving us with 7, 15, 20 and 21.

So we turn pick 1 into 7, 15 and 20.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Which would have been a great deal last year because I reckon that last draft will go down as one the strongest of all time. Any draft where a kid like Aish who played in 2 senior SANFL grand finals can slip to pick 7 has to be considered strong. I don't see that same talent pool this year.

This year lots of focus on tall forwards, and lots of focus on tall defenders means the value picks of the draft will be the short midfielders. We need to be bold with our 3rd and 4th rounders and look for talent such as Caleb Daniel and Jake Johansen who don't necessarily fit the height profile but tick all the boxes as skilful hard running speedy midfielders.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

No I wouldn't do those trades.

Keep pick one & trade for another top 15 pick. I have no doubt that we will be moving players on in order to get more picks.

Unless something extraordinary is offered, pick 1 should be kept & should be used on Petracca.

Rocket
Club Player

Is Armitage worth a 1st rounder? If so, trade him and we get 1 & 2. Take Petracca and McCartin. Job done, I guarantee the Pelican will be looking for a way to get 1 & 2.

Tough call I know, but we need to take advantage of ladder position. This post will get beaten down I'm sure, Armitage a good honest footballer and no star.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote:Is Armitage worth a 1st rounder? If so, trade him and we get 1 & 2. Take Petracca and McCartin. Job done, I guarantee the Pelican will be looking for a way to get 1 & 2.

Tough call I know, but we need to take advantage of ladder position. This post will get beaten down I'm sure, Armitage a good honest footballer and no star.

Tough call. Its the easiest call ever if we were offered pick 2 for Armo but unfortunately he is at best a second rounder. Still more value to us than trading him. With Lenny going we need Armo.

older saint
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
older saint wrote:Meblourne will be looking mid field as have Hogan in the wings to come in and Roos loved mid field depth - something Melbourne don't have. Curve ball here is they may well try and do a trade like last year for Dom Tyson and Salem for Kelly to get 2 new guys in . I think there could be some creative trading. My thinking now is BEST Available Player.

Which is the problem. No one seems to know who that is.
If that is the case then, and hopefully those with more insight then us it is not, I would go with McCartin then at 1 as Jack Watts has shown a big 1 who fails still has more future value than a mid 1 that fails.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Which would have been a great deal last year because I reckon that last draft will go down as one the strongest of all time. Any draft where a kid like Aish who played in 2 senior SANFL grand finals can slip to pick 7 has to be considered strong. I don't see that same talent pool this year.

This year lots of focus on tall forwards, and lots of focus on tall defenders means the value picks of the draft will be the short midfielders. We need to be bold with our 3rd and 4th rounders and look for talent such as Caleb Daniel and Jake Johansen who don't necessarily fit the height profile but tick all the boxes as skilful hard running speedy midfielders.

Pretty good point to make. Last year was a very strong top 10 I reckon. Aish played in a senior SANFL premiership and slipped to 7th.

Nothing close to that this year.

noob
Club Player

Aish going to pick 7 didn't have anything to do with thinking he'd go back to Adelaide? For a while it was thought he was coming to St.Kilda.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:Aish going to pick 7 didn't have anything to do with thinking he'd go back to Adelaide? For a while it was thought he was coming to St.Kilda.
You might be right but if recruiters are seriously second guessing what a bloke may or may not want to do in 7 years time then they really are getting ahead of themselves.

Brisbane did ok out of Simon Black from Perth or J Brown from Warrnambool.
Make a good club and players will usually stay.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 21 Aug 2014 1:03am, edited 1 time in total.

Die Hard 7
Club Player

I think there are a few draft steals later in the draft and we should be focusing on gaining picks around the 20-40 range. People like Peter Bampton, Dean Gore, Lukas Webb all very good footballers with the first two having played league SANFL with Norwood and Sturt respectively. Webb also viewed as a similar type to billings left footer, good skills. Would like more depth for the midfield and feel that we could even snag Hugh Goddard who seems to be slipping to the end of the first round, with later picks in the first round and early second.

PvBeetle

Wouldn't say he's a # 1 pick, but we also need to do whatever it takes to get back OUR Ahmed Saad!! Make sure those other looting, thieving, pillaging swines of Clubs keep their dirty rotten grubby hands off him!!! :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

PvBeetle wrote:Wouldn't say he's a # 1 pick, but we also need to do whatever it takes to get back OUR Ahmed Saad!! Make sure those other looting, thieving, pillaging swines of Clubs keep their dirty rotten grubby hands off him!!! :D
Pick 100 sounds about right. Just two decimal places.

I have nfi but Die Hard sounds like he knows what hes on about.

I agree it would be good to have 3 picks in the top 30 if possible.