Under 18 AA Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Re: Under 18 AA Team

plugger66 wrote:
lewdogs wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Spinner wrote:What's with this obsession of wanting to draft defenders.

We need midfielders. The game is won and lost by the quality of the midfield.
All I read was an obsession with drafting the best available kid. If the best available kid is Jacob Weitering - who as a 17 year old for the u18's Academy blitzed AFL listed players Majak Daw and Matthew Watson when they were playing VFL and some recruiters are on record as saying is the best key defender they've seen come through the u18 system and he could've played AFL senior football this year - so be it.

I still cant remember the last KP back that has gone so early in the draft. I reckon it is real risky to waste a very early pick on a player who may only play back. If he can play well elsewhere then that's different. I hope the good talls are gone before our pick so we aren't forced to choose.
I can understand that thinking with pick 1. But if we have pick 3/4 and Weitering is still there then it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Agreed. Grab the best mid. Anyway its not going to happen. The 2 talls should go one and two. Hopefully we get an inside outside mid with good pace and skills.
Agreed. Nearly every gun defender comes from a lower pick.

And look at Hawthorns defence... Lake, Gibson, Spangher, Frawley... all of them traded in or free agency.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Spinner wrote:What's with this obsession of wanting to draft defenders.

We need midfielders. The game is won and lost by the quality of the midfield.
All I read was an obsession with drafting the best available kid. If the best available kid is Jacob Weitering - who as a 17 year old for the u18's Academy blitzed AFL listed players Majak Daw and Matthew Watson when they were playing VFL and some recruiters are on record as saying is the best key defender they've seen come through the u18 system and he could've played AFL senior football this year - so be it.

I still cant remember the last KP back that has gone so early in the draft. I reckon it is real risky to waste a very early pick on a player who may only play back. If he can play well elsewhere then that's different. I hope the good talls are gone before our pick so we aren't forced to choose.
Weitering is about the lowest risk pick in the draft. He does most things to an extremely high level, has leadership written all over him and has exposed high level form against senior listed AFL players. The only knock is he's signed on with Liam Pickering.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Pick 4, 5 or 6 looks likely for us now. Won't be a top 3, that's for sure.

stjay
Club Player

Mathieson more likely than Parish at this stage.