Time To Take Concussion Seriously

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: Time To Take Concussion Seriously

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 4:10pm
damienc wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 4:05pm
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 3:48pm Surprisingly, Gary Lyon who has very close family connections to Paddy stated that hopefully Paddy will be back playing in a couple of weeks.

Both Brown and he also stated that there was a lot of misinformed hysteria over concussion in general and Paddy in particular
Didn’t realise they both had medical qualifications as well. Wow.
An extremely dangerous opinion to project onto others. I hope paddy isn’t listening to a word coming from Lyon’s mouth.
Yep.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 3:48pm Surprisingly, Gary Lyon who has very close family connections to Paddy stated that hopefully Paddy will be back playing in a couple of weeks.

Both Brown and he also stated that there was a lot of misinformed hysteria over concussion in general and Paddy in particular
This is what I have suspected, although I obviously don't know the facts.

When an AFL player gets a head knock, they are taken from the ground and given a concussion test. What is that test? Is that test a proper diagnosis of concussion or just indicative? How is concussion precisely diagnosed?

In some of those concussion incidents, his head was barely touched, although it did cop a big thump as hit the ground in Ballarat.

Given that this is a huge part of Paddy's life, given the Club's investment in him, has he seen the most pre-eminent expert in concussion/diabetes?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 4:05pm “Misinformed hysteria over concussions in general”

Wow. Please cease listening to Lyon & Brown & conduct your own research. That statement couldn’t be further from the truth.
No and no.

I have already made my thoughts on Paddy well known. I am just posting what those two said last night on on the couch.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I actually agree with you but I thought that the forum should know what those close to Paddy are saying.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:06pm

I actually agree with you but I thought that the forum should know what those close to Paddy are saying.
Then they are giving him very bad advice. There would not be one single person on this forum who doesn’t want what is best for Paddy. I feel for the guy. I wish he could continue and fulfil his potential but it just isn’t going to happen.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:24pm

Then they are giving him very bad advice. There would not be one single person on this forum who doesn’t want what is best for Paddy. I feel for the guy. I wish he could continue and fulfil his potential but it just isn’t going to happen.
I again agree with you but I'm not so sure the club does.You need to read this.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-19/ ... on-ri-spot

McCartin was at the club on Tuesday morning but faces more tests.

"He's certainly getting much, much better but he's just not quite right in terms of being able to get out. He's back at the footy club now so he's getting close but we'll be guided by the doctors," Richardson said.

His time on the sidelines is indefinite but Richardson said retirement hadn't been discussed for the first overall draftee in 2014.

"It's not that serious (as considering retirement), although it's serious. Those sorts of conversations haven't been had," Richardson said.

"It's just 'Let's see how Paddy pulls up, how does he go when he starts training with the group'.

"That's probably a little bit different to where it's been before but we're confident that Paddy will be right. It might take a little bit longer. We might have to, as a club, be a little bit more patient, but we just get guided by the experts and the doctors."

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:28pm

This is the precise reason why I wrote the post in the first place. I am very disappointed in Richo’s remarks to say the least. To even think of playing a sportsman who’s suffered 8 concussions is reckless and highly irresponsible. Any medico who clears Paddy similarly. He is highly susceptible to concussion. And it will only get worse for him. I seriously fear for his welfare if he keeps playing but it just goes to show the attitude of the AFL and the clubs to this type of injury. Richo’s approach seems to be the norm and shared by coaches and clubs. If Paddy wants to keep playing they will support him. Richo should know better. They are just so wrong.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:43pm

This is the precise reason why I wrote the post in the first place. I am very disappointed in Richo’s remarks to say the least. To even think of playing a sportsman who’s suffered 8 concussions is reckless and highly irresponsible. Any medico who clears Paddy similarly. He is highly susceptible to concussion. And it will only get worse for him. I seriously fear for his welfare if he keeps playing but it just goes to show the attitude of the AFL and the clubs to this type of injury. Richo’s approach seems to be the norm and shared by coaches and clubs. If Paddy wants to keep playing they will support him. Richo should know better. They are just so wrong.
I have posted similar views to you on this forum but then, I'm not a Doctor.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:56pm

I’m not a Doctor but this guy is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43802462

He’s talking about rugby but it the same for our game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:06pm
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:56pm

I’m not a Doctor but this guy is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43802462

He’s talking about rugby but it the same for our game.
No it's not. Nothing like it mate. That's a thug game supposedly played by gentlemen but they are all thick necked thugs imhfo and most of the guys in the scums wear helmets. They run headlong at each other and they are built like the proverbial brick shithouse. They smash one another. It is a real contact sport whereas the AFL is going the other way.

I actually am a Brumbies fan and have watched a lot of Union football. These days dozens of Islanders play the game in this country at the top level and you wouldn't want to tackle any of them.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

At least in rugby league they know where the opposition is coming from so they can brace themselves. AFL is a 360 degree sport where they often get caught/hit unawares from any direction on the field. In addition AFL is a much faster paced game where collisions are often similar to a car crash. League is a much slower paced sport where the collisions are largely more calculated & anticipated.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:25pm At least in rugby league they know where the opposition is coming from so they can brace themselves. AFL is a 360 degree sport where they often get caught/hit unawares from any direction on the field. In addition AFL is a much faster paced game where collisions are often similar to a car crash. League is a much slower paced sport where the collisions are largely more calculated & anticipated.
No one even mentioned League. We were talking about union. A much different game.

They are twice as big as AFL players and their backs would leave most of our guys for dead in a foot race.

And they can still be hit from behind or the side.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:45pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:25pm At least in rugby league they know where the opposition is coming from so they can brace themselves. AFL is a 360 degree sport where they often get caught/hit unawares from any direction on the field. In addition AFL is a much faster paced game where collisions are often similar to a car crash. League is a much slower paced sport where the collisions are largely more calculated & anticipated.
No one even mentioned League. We were talking about union. A much different game.

They are twice as big as AFL players and their backs would leave most of our guys for dead in a foot race.

League/Union same thing

thefatdork
Club Player

Hi Sainters,
I mentioned this in the injury report thread but thought I’d also post it here....

Just looked at the injury report video - when it gets to Paddy, we’re informed that he’s still symptomatic and can’t be fully assessed at present and then our physio says that they’ll have “an update for you (I.e. us) probably in a FEW WEEKS” -yep, that’s what Wallis said, a FEW WEEKS!
I really can’t see how he can continue to play after what looked like a run-of-the-mill knock in a marking contest.
I really feel for the young guy but I guess we’ll see where he’s at in a few weeks.

Go Saints!
TFD

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:51pm

League/Union same thing
Rubbish. The games are nothing alike. You would upset a lot of Banana Benders and New South Welshmen if you stated that in either of those states. :roll:

Myron Gaines
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 7:03pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:51pm

League/Union same thing
Rubbish. The games are nothing alike. You would upset a lot of Banana Benders and New South Welshmen if you stated that in either of those states. :roll:
Same field. Same goal posts. Same scoring methods. No two sports are as similar as League & Union.

takeaway
Club Player

8 Concussions. Were they all level 3? Or a mixture of Levels 1-3? No-one here knows. Different for each individual - I am happy to leave it to the medicos assessing Paddy, including the independent assessments. They have all the facts, and would obviously be qualified to assess Paddy. The club has said they will be guided by the medical advice. I am buoyed by Richo's comments, sounds like Paddy may be back, which is good news. May not be the case of course. But here's hoping.

damienc
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 7:14pm

8 Concussions. Were they all level 3? Or a mixture of Levels 1-3? No-one here knows. Different for each individual - I am happy to leave it to the medicos assessing Paddy, including the independent assessments. They have all the facts, and would obviously be qualified to assess Paddy. The club has said they will be guided by the medical advice. I am buoyed by Richo's comments, sounds like Paddy may be back, which is good news. May not be the case of course. But here's hoping.
You must be kidding. 8 concussions and you think it’s good news if he plays again? Pleased to know you have his best interests front and centre.

guitars4
Club Player

I'm hoping too but it looks bleak . I think 8 concussions in 5 years say's it all . Weather there level 1 or level 3 it's obvious he is very susceptible to being concussed . Most of his concussion's have been very minor incidents but there lies the biggest problem it only takes a slight knock to his head to cause him to be concussed. AFL football is a fast tough game & if he gets a really serious hit who know's what the consequences might be .

takeaway
Club Player

damienc wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 7:28pm

You must be kidding. 8 concussions and you think it’s good news if he plays again? Pleased to know you have his best interests front and centre.
Not kidding. What sort of concussions? We have no idea of the actual details, even if we were neurosurgeons we still couldn't assess the situation without details. I will await the official results, hoping he is cleared to play again. If they say no, fair enough. No point coming to conclusions when we know nothing.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 2:52pm

In the latest incident he, Membrey and Bruce all attacked a kick out from deep defence. Bruce took the mark on the half back flank.
Paddy and Membrey spread and Paddy retreated to high half forward. His vague attempt at a lead was ignored and he followed the ball backwards, in a completely uncoordinated attempt to be a part of the play. It wasnt good.
He was nowhere near the forward 50 when he began his run. If he had of been it would never have happened.
No matter how we cook it, he seems highly susceptible to concussion. There is a medical rationale relating to diabetes that supports this. Everybody will come to accept this. Hopefully, before he does irreparable damage to his brain and the development of our forward structures and our player development.

Either way, he went (backwards) into the F50 - it's irrelevant where he began his run, and he was concussed (well) inside the F50.
There were enough St Kilda players there (around that spot inside F50) to compete for the mark (Membrey, Long, etc..) - so he wasn't really required there and they all spoilt each other, as it turned out. So his presence there was counterproductive. He inserted himself where he was not needed.
If he had stayed outside the F50, he wouldn't have been concussed - and Membrey may have taken the mark?
Take home message for Paddy could be ... keep out of the F50!
Last edited by samoht on Wed 20 Mar 2019 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is cooked that’s obvious to all the sundry.

Just now a legal and liability issue re how it’s handled and when and by whom.

Very messy and may take a while to sort out.

I won’t be happy if he plays again due to the impact it may have on our club in the future.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Myron Gaines
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 8:55am Paddy is cooked that’s obvious to all the sundry.

Just now a legal and liability issue re how it’s handled and when and by whom.

Very messy and may take a while to sort out.

I won’t be happy if he plays again due to the impact it may have on our club in the future.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to Geelong for pick 100 at the end of the year. Geelong take on his one year contract & see what they can do with him.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 8:46am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 2:52pm

In the latest incident he, Membrey and Bruce all attacked a kick out from deep defence. Bruce took the mark on the half back flank.
Paddy and Membrey spread and Paddy retreated to high half forward. His vague attempt at a lead was ignored and he followed the ball backwards, in a completely uncoordinated attempt to be a part of the play. It wasnt good.
He was nowhere near the forward 50 when he began his run. If he had of been it would never have happened.
No matter how we cook it, he seems highly susceptible to concussion. There is a medical rationale relating to diabetes that supports this. Everybody will come to accept this. Hopefully, before he does irreparable damage to his brain and the development of our forward structures and our player development.

Either way, he went (backwards) into the F50 - it's irrelevant where he began his run, and he was concussed (well) inside the F50.
There were enough St Kilda players there (around that spot inside F50) to compete for the mark (Membrey, Long, etc..) - so he wasn't really required there and they all spoilt each other, as it turned out. So his presence there was counterproductive. He inserted himself where he was not needed.
If he had stayed outside the F50, he wouldn't have been concussed - and Membrey may have taken the mark?
Take home message for Paddy could be ... keep out of the F50!
He was 70 metres from goal and Membrey was no where near the play. Long came across from the other flank and Steele was 3 players deep from the drop of the ball. Dont let fact get in the way of a good argument.
It was a crap decision from Bruce and it is a regular feature of our forward half entries. It was a bomb to no one.
Both Paddy and Membrey had spread to positions that could have been honored.
Im sure that is probably the plan rather than have our 3 marking forwards all present on the half back flank and then bomb it to half forward.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Yes, you're right, CQ Saint.
I just looked at the incident ... it happened around the 70 metre mark as you say.
Paddy backed into the pack - Long got him with his hip, and Steele was the third Saint player as you pointed out (not Membrey).
I wasn't looking to change the facts to support a good/false argument (as you mentioned) - I'm just looking to see if my theory holds any water - and I'm looking for evidence either way.
In fact, I posed a question earlier - I was wondering how many of the concussions happened inside the F50 vs outside the F50 (obviously weighting would need to to be applied for time spent inside the F50 vs outside the F50, if you want to reach a meaningful conclusion).

I was wrong in this instance ... my memory didn't serve me right, and maybe I got it wrong in past instances too, and I shouldn't even be propounding this theory. It seemed to me that the concussions were happening this way.