c'mon guys closest to the pin.....pick 9.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Without shadow of a doubt. whoever we pick will be, according to some on here, the WORST piece of drafting in the history of the draft :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Without shadow of a doubt. whoever we pick will be, according to some on here, the WORST piece of drafting in the history of the draft :roll:
after our trade week i reckon we are in fairly safe hands

as long as john peake makes the calls (especially with our first pick) instead of JB then im sure we will have a more than decent player

let JB have a lot more input with the last pick and rookie stuff

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:Masten
Rioli
Ebert

I'd say it is out of those three. Masten sounds very good, but the descriptions of him remind me a lot of McQualter.
I don't think Mini was ever spoken of in similar terms to Masten. His height is about the only similarity.

You never know though... Mini might have a watershed year & become a gun mid. John Howard might stop being a dodgy little weasel too.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Riolli
Masten
Rance

I would be happy with any one of them.
Just a side issue on Riolli. A few of the indigenous boys have apparently suffered an attitude problem, Proud as mentioned previously, Collard being dropped by Fremantle a year early. Riolli attends a private school in Melbourne, plays for the Clarke brothers home side, St.Marys in N.T. I dont believe he would have an attitude problem and I think he would fit in nicely. The recruiters consider more things today than the boys football ability.
There is another indigenous boy, from N.S.W., that states only boy at the draft camp, Tony Anderson, who attends Assumption College at Kilmore, the school of numerous champion AFL players other the years. He might be worth a look with a later pick. He is 185cm, and played a couple of games with Calder Cannons this year. I dont know much about his ability etc though.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Masten
Rioli
Ebert

I'd say it is out of those three. Masten sounds very good, but the descriptions of him remind me a lot of McQualter.
I don't think Mini was ever spoken of in similar terms to Masten. His height is about the only similarity.

You never know though... Mini might have a watershed year & become a gun mid. John Howard might stop being a dodgy little weasel too.
Mini was Captain of all the Junior sides he was part of. U18 AA selection, state rep, captain etc etc...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mini should still make it...if given half a chance and not delisted......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

mini was only selected as insurance, being BJ's best mate, to make sure BJ stays a saint.. Sacrificed pick to keep goddard.. Bj's worth it...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

1. Carlton - Matt Kreuzer
2. Richmond - Trent Cotchin
3. West Coast - Rhys Palmer
4. Melbourne - Cale Morton
5. Bulldogs - Lachlan Henderson
6. Essendon - Chris Masten
7. Fremantle - Brad Ebert
8. Brisbane - Cyril Rioli
9. St. Kilda - Ben McEvoy

That's the way I think it'll play out, not the way I hope it'll play out. I'm hoping we take Rance.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:1. Carlton - Matt Kreuzer
9. St. Kilda - Ben McEvoy

That's the way I think it'll play out, not the way I hope it'll play out. I'm hoping we take Rance.
I believe Rioli was the most interviewed player at draft camp. Only two clubs didnt interview him: Fremantle and Brisbane. A clever ploy? Unlikely.

elphie
Club Player

rossie and the recruiting committee will choose a mid-fielder as pick #9 regardless of best available, mark his words.
hence, you can ignore any of these previous posts suggesting RANCE & MCEVOY.
lyon's been exactly true to what he said pre-draft thus far, if i can para-phrase, "we are avidly chasing a mid-fielder (for rotation purposes), a medium goal-kicking option and a back-up ruckman."
2 down and 1 to go.

ps: can anyone dig up that conversation written in major newspapers please????

vacuous space
SS Life Member

elphie wrote:rossie and the recruiting committee will choose a mid-fielder as pick #9 regardless of best available, mark his words.
Ross hasn't said anything locking us into a midfielder. He has said, however, that it's about time St. Kilda developed their own ruckman. The quote you paraphrased was from trade week, where we were looking for players who can make a contribution now. Pick nine is unlikely to do much in 08, so it's best to take a player who can have the biggest impact over the long term. If someone like Masten falls to our pick, great. But if Cotchin, Ebert, Masten, Morton, Palmer and Rioli are all gone by pick nine, which midfielder do you think they'll take?

Lynch Beast
Club Player

I have David Myers going to the Saints at #9 in my phantom draft

when you think of Masten just picture Marc Murphy, if he was Victorian he would have a much bigger profile. I highly doubt he would go later than 6 or 7 at worst.

Jack Grimes is another I wouldn't be surprised to hear called on draft day for the saints, I see him as a Stenglein/Lenny Hayes type. Not break the lines quick but super committed to the team and AWESOME ENDURANCE.

187cm & strong in the air, would have set a new record in the beep test at draft camp but stress fractures in his back kept him out of the physical stuff (should be fine by pre season)

chook23
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
elphie wrote:rossie and the recruiting committee will choose a mid-fielder as pick #9 regardless of best available, mark his words.
Ross hasn't said anything locking us into a midfielder. He has said, however, that it's about time St. Kilda developed their own ruckman. The quote you paraphrased was from trade week, where we were looking for players who can make a contribution now. Pick nine is unlikely to do much in 08, so it's best to take a player who can have the biggest impact over the long term. If someone like Masten falls to our pick, great. But if Cotchin, Ebert, Masten, Morton, Palmer and Rioli are all gone by pick nine, which midfielder do you think they'll take?
If he is still available McEvoy will be very much considered

saint4life
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My understanding is that McEvoy is more likely to develop into a KPP than a ruckman. We just got rid of one of those. We need a true dinkie die ruckman type.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:mini was only selected as insurance, being BJ's best mate, to make sure BJ stays a saint.. Sacrificed pick to keep goddard.. Bj's worth it...
You're joking right? :roll:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Lynch Beast wrote:I have David Myers going to the Saints at #9 in my phantom draft
Out of curiosity, where do you have the defenders in your phantom draft? Is Rance off the board before our pick? Where do you have Collier, Gaertner and Pears? I don't really see us going for Myers just because he seems best suited to the third tall/loose man role where we have Fisher, who should be there for quite a while. Pears or Rance are much more interesting to me.
when you think of Masten just picture Marc Murphy, if he was Victorian he would have a much bigger profile. I highly doubt he would go later than 6 or 7 at worst.
He could go anywhere between 3 and 7. Can't see him getting past Fremantle's pick. If he slipped to nine I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Jack Grimes is another I wouldn't be surprised to hear called on draft day for the saints, I see him as a Stenglein/Lenny Hayes type. Not break the lines quick but super committed to the team and AWESOME ENDURANCE.

187cm & strong in the air, would have set a new record in the beep test at draft camp but stress fractures in his back kept him out of the physical stuff (should be fine by pre season)
Grimes will definately be a handy player for whoever gets him. He doesn't have the footskills of Lenny Hayes, but he's supposed to very good without the ball. He's a possibility at pick nine, but I think he'll go a little later than that - somewhere in the 11-20 range.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:I don't think Mini was ever spoken of in similar terms to Masten. His height is about the only similarity.
Small, old-fashioned rover, average pace, good endurance, pure footballer, smart but not hugely damaging disposal, gun junior player.

Sound very similar to me. Although Joel Selwood also had a similar description.

Lynch Beast
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Lynch Beast wrote:I have David Myers going to the Saints at #9 in my phantom draft
Out of curiosity, where do you have the defenders in your phantom draft? Is Rance off the board before our pick? Where do you have Collier, Gaertner and Pears? I don't really see us going for Myers just because he seems best suited to the third tall/loose man role where we have Fisher, who should be there for quite a while. Pears or Rance are much more interesting to me.
Defemders (in order of draft)

Myers is possible from 6-9

Rance is first round but will depend on who wants him otherwise west coast will take him at 20

Collier first round, either 10, 11 or 12

pears around the same as collier, depends on who wants them on the day

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

From my reading of the defenders, I would expect Rance to go well before Pears. And would Collier who also can play as a Ruck/Rover be of more use to the Saints?

sainterjo
Club Player

Draftees thread from BF, with a good collection of player pics: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389611

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:From my reading of the defenders, I would expect Rance to go well before Pears. And would Collier who also can play as a Ruck/Rover be of more use to the Saints?
Most people expect Rance to go before Pears, but it all depends on what the scouts have seen from them. Pears is younger and faster and probably has more improvement left in him. He won't be 18 until March. With Rance I think you've got the safer pick. He'll probably be a FB at AFL level someday - potentially a very good one.

I think the projections of Collier as a ruck/rover are overly optimistic. He's a big guy, and there's a huge difference between playing in the centre for Tassie at the championships and doing it at AFL level. I would think he'll start his career as a flanker and shift to key defence as he gains experience and confidence. If he shows himself capable in traffic and at ground level, then he might get some time in the centre.

goodie
Club Player

1. Carlton - Kreuzer
2. Richmond - Morton
3. West Coast - Cotchin
4. Melbourne - Henderson
5. Footscray - Grant
6. Essendon - Ebert
7. Fremantle - Masten
8. Brisbane - Palmer
9. St Kilda - Rance

Couple of controversial picks, I know. I think Melbourne and Footscray will look to the future and take key forwards Melbourne taking Henderson and pissing the Doggies off. They'll then take the first bolter of the meet, Jarrod Grant, a 192cm key forward.

Palmer I think will slide a little, with the Demons and Dogs taking KPPs, and Essendon going for the bigger bodied Ebert. Freo will toss up between Masten and Palmer, but go for Masten.

As for the Saints, I'm hoping we'll look long term and go with Rance. Max sadly doesn't have long left, and Rance is just what we need. McEvoy would also be a great pick-up, and Rioli may have a more immediate impact, but Rance I think is the right call.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

If Cotchin and Morton are gone, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Melbourne go for Henderson. Grant would be a bit of a surprise. There's a chance he might still be there at 19. But if the Doggies rate him that highly, then there's no reason not to take him.

As for Palmer, I wouldn't be surprised to see any and all of the smaller bodied mids slip, just the same as we might see some of the bigger bodied mids go earlier than expected. Ebert might go before Masten and Palmer. Rioli could slip out of the top ten. Grimes could sneak in. Supporters always want the quick little guys who are ready-made AFLers. Recruiters are usually more patient and more drawn to players with AFL-sized bodies to grow into.

nick_nexus
Club Player

1. Carlton - Matt Kreuzer
9. St. Kilda - Barry Brooks

Grant Thomas was the best coach St.kilda ever had.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

:lol:

You've got a better sense of humour than I gave you credit for nick_nexus

St Kilda I know spoke to at least 2 ruckman who are tipped to go in the 3rd/4th rounds of the draft. So I reckon our selection of a ruckman, unless Kreuzer somehow slipped to #9, will be with pick #42 or #58.

IMO we will take a genuine midfielder or a tall back with pick #9, and of those two options, I would be putting my $ on a midfielder.

But Peake and Beveridge are both paid to spend 12 months studying this stuff intimately, so I'm prepared to let them decide :P
Sobraz wrote: mini was only selected as insurance, being BJ's best mate, to make sure BJ stays a saint.. Sacrificed pick to keep goddard.. Bj's worth it...
Yep ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.