Is Jones Stiff?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Peanut
Club Player

Fizz told me at training a few weeks back that he is well aware of the competition for a spot so he will give it best shot and won't be too dissappointed when he isn't picked -
There is game-time endurance in those legs of his and he has other skills -

Huzzad
Club Player

Re: Is Jones Stiff?

The Fireman wrote:not getting a berth?
I would have him in the side before Fiora or Raph, but hey...it's really starting to look as we have some depth :D
I'd definatly put him ahead of Raph too, only problem is we are missing key defenders so I guess we are forced to go with Raph. Though, I'd put Blake in Raph's spot and keep Jones on the bench. Fiora was much better last week, although still below what he can do, he was very prominent in some plays. Dissapointed to see Jonesy on the emerg list, but then again we saw Leigh Fisher in the same spot last week and he proved to be our ace-in-the-hole against Goodes earning alot of respect from the media (even a poll to suggest he was one of the players of the round). I guess we will have to wait and see.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
The Fireman wrote:not getting a berth?
I would have him in the side before Fiora or Raph, but hey...it's really starting to look as we have some depth :D
I'd definatly put him ahead of Raph too, only problem is we are missing key defenders so I guess we are forced to go with Raph. Though, I'd put Blake in Raph's spot and keep Jones on the bench. Fiora was much better last week, although still below what he can do, he was very prominent in some plays. Dissapointed to see Jonesy on the emerg list, but then again we saw Leigh Fisher in the same spot last week and he proved to be our ace-in-the-hole against Goodes earning alot of respect from the media (even a poll to suggest he was one of the players of the round). I guess we will have to wait and see.
as i said it's all about balance , Lyon now has a deep pool to select his players from, something previous coaches didn't have.
Therefore I will cop Jones's omission with a grain of salt.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Fizz won't be too dissappointed when he isn't picked -
im dissappointed to hear that

every player should make it their aim to be in the side each week and if they miss out they should be filthy - and then in reserves try and dominate to force themselves back into the side

this is how "inconsistent" players such as milney stay in the side as long as long as he does

if he is dropped he makes sure the selection commitee know theyve made a mistake not including him

yeah, so not happy to hear that from aaron

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:

every player should make it their aim to be in the side each week and if they miss out they should be filthy - and then in reserves try and dominate to force themselves back into the side

this is how "inconsistent" players such as milney stay in the side as long as long as he does

if he is dropped he makes sure the selection commitee know theyve made a mistake not including him

I would be willing to give Milne a go simply because the guy still has something to offer. Milne is a very good footballer

The Peanut
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:

I got the impression that he inferred that he won't be too dissappointed in reference to 'whatever is best for the team', not that he won't do everything he can to get in

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

I would be willing to give Milne a go simply because the guy still has something to offer. Milne is a very good footballer
yes i agree, i just remember a few years back milney was dropped and he was loathable

peanut, that sounds fair enough - he sounds a little down on self confidence though if thats the case

he should imagine that the best team st kilda could pick would include him

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:
Fiora.. borrowed time. Did look a bit more confident as the game wore on though.
Agree with you Thomas. Has been on borrowed time for years now IMO. There are others on here who will defend Fiora stoutly, but for mine, he's on very thin ice. Front runner, poor in one on one situations, and his reputation for being soft precedes him for good reason. Lucky to be on the list, let alone in the senior 22.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

injuries being what they are jones will be back before too long.

i like him as a player but then again i also like blake and even fiora. unfortunately you can't play them all.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 27 Mar 2008 9:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

A bit stiff, but the right call for mine, not one I thought they would make though....

I think Fizz had a better game last week, and I agree with others on this thread, CJ needs to keep working hard at the level below so when he steps up to the big time, he accumulates 15+ possies a game to become consistent....

jill
Club Player

Would rather see a gutsy performance than a half-hearted one! Clint put his body on the line & it won us the game! - Raph made 1 huge clanger but also contributed/set up some great forward thrusts as well as defending well - Fiora VERY quiet again - Very lucky to hold his place!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Unlike many fans, coaches don't tend to rate players on one single incident during a game. They look at their entire performance during a game. Hence they don't get as carried away at the odd clanger by a Raph or a Fiora or a Blake or likewise at the occasional super play by a Jones (or a TS40 for that matter).

Jones did one brave and impressive thing last weekend. And he has undoubtedly had a good start to the season and will remain in contention for the top 22 most weeks. But I can't see him getting a game ahead of Blake or Fiora or, most likely, Raph. If you are looking for a relatively low skilled player who always gives 150%, Jones fits the bill, but so does Blake who is more experienced and more versatile. If it comes down to a choice between the two, Blake will always get picked first.

As a player coming off the bench, Fiora has the skills to make a lot more impact than a Jones. And Raph is an entirely different sort of player to Jones.

Finally, those posters who describe Jones as a "kid" need to remember that he is older than Dal, Fish, Gram, Schneider, Ball, Goose, BJ and a good 2 years older than Raph and Attard and 3 years older than Gilbert.

He's growing on me, but it takes more than a single mark to convince me that he deserves a permanent spot in our top 22.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Gilbert=Legend

He is very stiff

supersaints
Club Player

IMO Jones is beeng rested after that huge bump, suspect slight concussion
or general bruising around the head. I think he will be back in next week.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Huzzad
Club Player

If his weaknesses were ironed out, we have one hell of a good player on our hands. I love his hunger for the footy and his courage. Just need to fix up a couple of things, but I am already a big fan and think he will continue to impress.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Unlike many fans, coaches don't tend to rate players on one single incident during a game. They look at their entire performance during a game. Hence they don't get as carried away at the odd clanger by a Raph or a Fiora or a Blake or likewise at the occasional super play by a Jones (or a TS40 for that matter).

well luckily for me I'm not like any other fan, I made my assumption over the complete pre season as well, and I would hate to think that someone perceived that I could be carried away by any one particular instance . I agree he is a diff player than Fiora , hence my balance comment but maintain he would be more valuable. ( my opinion)
PS they are all kids to me. :wink:

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if CJ hurt his jaw in that marking contest. Maybe a precaution?

I was also surprised how much better his kicking is at training.

As far as getting dropped goes.....He'll be fine.

tezza1
Club Player

Im disappointed........Jones did enough to stay in . Fiora did not......

One is hard when he needs to be ...........the other is rarely hard at it....

Witness the soft push in the back near the members wing when he needed to contest.....Fiora continually lets you down...........

He must be dating RL's daughter or something...............

Go Sainters !!!!!
Huzzad
Club Player

tezza1 wrote:Im disappointed........Jones did enough to stay in . Fiora did not......

One is hard when he needs to be ...........the other is rarely hard at it....

Witness the soft push in the back near the members wing when he needed to contest.....Fiora continually lets you down...........

He must be dating RL's daughter or something...............
Speaking of which, is Bakes still dating GT's daughter? If so, that must be really awkward....

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:IMO Jones is beeng rested after that huge bump, suspect slight concussion
or general bruising around the head. I think he will be back in next week.
IMO

Jones was DROPPED...... and get over it...

he had 9 disposals the same as Fiora but Jones's were least effective ...

I also believe that Jones had more game time than Fiora...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:If his weaknesses were ironed out, we have one hell of a good player on our hands.
Can't that be said for every single player in the competition? If Michael Rix was a lot better at reading the play, more skilled, could take an overhead mark and had a better vertical leap he'd be a great ruckman.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Huzzad wrote:If his weaknesses were ironed out, we have one hell of a good player on our hands.
Can't that be said for every single player in the competition? If Michael Rix was a lot better at reading the play, more skilled, could take an overhead mark and had a better vertical leap he'd be a great ruckman.
agreed...

Silly comment IMO

if every players weakness were ironed out that would be a miracle ...

I could list plenty of players that had their weaknesses and most (if not all) were never "ironed out"...

I like Jones, don't get me wrong, and he has a place in our side IMO...

He disposal is a big worry and last week his disposal was okay, ONLY because of the play...

Plenty of time to kick it, but not much options to kick it to...

Just wait when there is not much time to kick it and see what happens...

Anyway, I feel Ross has tasks for each and every player (when fit) and just maybe his turn is not this week...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Let's not be too eager to criticize a Saints player who is very inexperienced. Jones has only played 8 games - wow, the expectations here are high!

He did something I will reemember for the rest of my life - that's a lot more than I can say for many other players in their first 8 games.

Also, as I said once before in another post - our family is very biased, and my fiance Molly thinks he is a great kid. He's her favourite player.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Jones might be a bit unluckly to miss, but he needs to add some polish to his game, I would think. Honestly if it wasn't for that magnificant act of courage we would be saying he had a poor night.

Once his disposal by hand and foot improves at Casey, he should be set for a nice long run with the senior side.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of who gets a game and who gets dropped, a team of our talent should have kicked way more than 6 goals last week..so this week I would want to see a better effort from a lot of players whose reputations seem bigger than their efforts.