the umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:fisher camped over it...given...however he didnt touch out

utter bulls***
Ur not allowed to camp over it u gotta knock it out mate
Pack converged instantly, no opportunity, and he didnt drag it in.
oh farking thank you...my point entirely

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Sainterman
Club Player

|Andy| wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:fisher camped over it...given...however he didnt touch out

utter bulls***
but that's the thing. isnt this the free where rocca had the ball pinned between his legs... so it wasnt even in fisher's possession?
Think that was the hudgton one...and rocca missed. Another astute umpiring decision tonight.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

|Andy| wrote:

utter bulls***
but that's the thing. isnt this the free where rocca had the ball pinned between his legs... so it wasnt even in fisher's possession?
Different free mate

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

a few people are gonna be embarrassed when theysee the replay

he 100% dragged it in, and that means game over

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
iceman
Club Player

|Andy| wrote:

utter bulls***
I think this one was against Hudgton, wherew Rocca had his knee on the ball then squeezed between his knees, if this is the one you refer to then it was ludicrous, but the Fisher one was there.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:a few people are gonna be embarrassed when theysee the replay

he 100% dragged it in, and that means game over
THAT'S RIGHT DUD

can we lock this thread?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah, it was the umps that cost us the game :roll:

be real.....

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:

utter bulls***
In control of ball. Same thing.
So when a midfielder grabs the ball off a ruck contests, takes 2 steps, get caught and ball is pinned, does he lose his tights as he was "in control"?

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sainterman wrote:

utter bulls***
In control of ball. Same thing.
So when a midfielder grabs the ball off a ruck contests, takes 2 steps, get caught and ball is pinned, does he lose his tights as he was "in control"?
Depends if he had the option to move it on or not Fisher had the option to tap the ball on matey

iceman
Club Player

The ball was a foot in front of Fisher, he dragged it closer to him then failed to knock it out or make sufficient attempts to clear the ball.

I disagree with the rule, but don't disagree with the free kick.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:The ball was a foot in front of Fisher, he dragged it closer to him then failed to knock it out or make sufficient attempts to clear the ball.

This is the same rule that they haven't been paying free kicks for the last 2 or 3 rounds?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Anybody else notice how many times tonight Collingwood players 'held' our players off the ball?

And how many 'blocks' were p\put on that I thought were supposed to be penalized if they were more than 5 metres away from the ball?

Sainterman
Club Player

iceman wrote:The ball was a foot in front of Fisher, he dragged it closer to him then failed to knock it out or make sufficient attempts to clear the ball.

Well, if thats what we have come to, and thats the way we are going to play the game, call me old fashioned, but its just plain crap. Hard to enjoy watching a game these days.

I dont mind losing (well, I do), but the rules and interpretation of them are a joke these days. Will they pay it, wont they, you just never know. It might not have cost us the points, who knows, but it made for a way more frustrating experience.

iceman
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:

Well, if thats what we have come to, and thats the way we are going to play the game, call me old fashioned, but its just plain crap. Hard to enjoy watching a game these days.

I dont mind losing (well, I do), but the rules and interpretation of them are a joke these days. Will they pay it, wont they, you just never know. It might not have cost us the points, who knows, but it made for a way more frustrating experience.
I agree mate, and i mentioned earlier (might have been in another thread) that i much prefer to go and watch local footy than this product of money greedy morons who change the game to suit themselves.

Mooksy
Club Player

Anyone who blames umpiring for loss tonight has got rocks in their head. I hate umpire bashing. It's so predictable. The umpiring had no baring on the result tonight. It pretty much never does.

awesome_days
Club Player

Soft decisions went both ways - they got theres in the right place at critical times, we got ours in not so critical time (D Armitage 1st goal).

Do feel a bit robbed, but cant change it, just cost us a little momentum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:Anyone who blames umpiring for loss tonight has got rocks in their head. I hate umpire bashing. It's so predictable. The umpiring had no baring on the result tonight. It pretty much never does.
Thank You. But what an easy thread to get a reaction.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Fishers was there,Maxs wasnt worst for me was Obrians non holding the ball. Lockyers was a gift who knows about those there a lottery.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

For those who believe that all individuals (including umpires) have some biases which can affect their decision making, there's an interesting end piece to an article at

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

"At the meeting Thomas became very agitated, Fraser said, when he revealed that he had held a meeting with Director of Umpiring Jeff Gieschen a few days earlier.

Fraser said he had asked Gieschen to rate St Kilda's relationship with umpires on a scale of one to six.

"Gieschen said 'you are off the scale'. It was the worst in the AFL," Fraser told Judge Katherine Bourke. "

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Max was robbed.

S Fisher draged the ball under him, and then while he couldn't get a hand to it anyway to knock it free, he didn't try. He had probably lost sight or feel on the ball, but that's not the issue once he brought it back in. The Collingwood player did very well by clamping it down on him. Free kick every time.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the standard of umpiring is pathetic, but blaming them is avoiding the real issues we have at the moment.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
taz
Club Player

for my part the umpiring decisions left me in no doubt that their poor decisions had an overbearing effect on the game. Their involvement in the game was clearly zealous and at time unwarranted which can only lead to one to wondering whether their involvement swung the game. Makes for a waste of time watching that rubbish.

(If you really want to get it that sort of umpiring involvement out of the game turn off the telly....thats where it really hurts the AFL. When the rating start to dip watch them panic!)

Grimfang
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:Fisher's one was there

he dragged it in, free every time
It also came out on the blind side to the umpire and the Pies players promptly pushed it back in.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Fisher's one was there

he dragged it in, free every time
It also came out on the blind side to the umpire and the Pies players promptly pushed it back in.
Correct. They were smart. We had no one capable of helping Sam. Our blokes just stand around looking bemused.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Anyone who thinks that the umpires don't have any effect on the outcome of games is living in fairy land.

Simply put, Collingwood received 4 very dubious free kicks that directly resulted in goals. In a 9 point result that does effect the outcome.

The one against BJ that Lockyer got was a disgrace & at a vital time.

Having said that we should have beat the filth despite this. Lenny missed 2 sodas & Milney missed one when Dal was all by himself in the fwd pocket.