"Mentally soft players" Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JeffDunne

Baldock Rules wrote:But Jeff what you consider wrong is your own subjective opinion.
Huh?

If someone says we'll make the 8 and we don't - it's subjective opinion that they were wrong?
I agree with Teflon and Patrick on this.
Bully for you.

I hope you're man enough to admit when you're wrong unlike the two spin merchants?
Ross Lyon must be given time and cannot be held solely responsible for poor execution and application.
How much time?

And when does he start taking responsibility?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Baldock Rules wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:It's rather ironic the same people who wanted to sack a coach after a PF loss are the same people now bemoaning the "sack the coach" brigade.

Ironic probably isn't the right word to describe such blatant hypocrisy but I’m trying to remain civil.
And STUPID is the word used to those like you Jeffery who want a coach sacked not 2 yrs in to coaching and stamping his authority on the list. Reminds me of Clarkson a bit at Hawthorn...when the gutless group like Brereton and co were calling for his head....and others held their nerve.

Lets be clear - the last coach HAD 5 YEARS and didnt deliver with a much younger list of players and a core grouo in its primewhile HE controlled the recruitment and selection of HIS "training srvices" team.

Turn the heat up on to many soft players but stop being pathetically predictable and "Richmond like".
When you start agreeing with me Teffers, then I'll start to worry.

Don't you get sick of not only being consistently wrong but having to find a new bullsh!t excuse to justify it weekly?
But Jeff what you consider wrong is your own subjective opinion.

Ross Lyon must be given time and cannot be held solely responsible for poor execution and application.
Doc did you see it?

You ask Jeff a straight up question - do you want the current coached sacked jeff?

and he squibs it.

why?

Much more fun to muck rake at a difficult time for saints fans that get off the fence and have an opinion.

Andrew Thompson said on radio today - Lyon will be given his chance to mould HIS list. He deserves that at a minimum as our slide started before Lyon and ANY decent football follower knows that.
Quoting AT means nothing. What was he going to say. Get rid of him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Baldock Rules wrote:But Jeff what you consider wrong is your own subjective opinion.
Huh?

If someone says we'll make the 8 and we don't - it's subjective opinion that they were wrong?
Bully for you.

I hope you're man enough to admit when you're wrong unlike the two spin merchants?
How much time?

And when does he start taking responsibility?
DO YOU WANT TO SACK THE COACH JEFF?

It cant BE that hard to answer FFS give us YOUR fix Jeffery instead of constant negative trash FFS!!

Do you run Board meetings this way? :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Stop spinning BS Teffers.

I don't think Ross is a coaches a-hole TBH.

Do I think we should sack him now? No I don't.

Only a f/wit like our previous president would start hunting for a new coach while the season is still alive.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Sun 25 May 2008 9:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

And STUPID is the word used to those like you Jeffery who want a coach sacked not 2 yrs in to coaching and stamping his authority on the list.

I'm struggling to see where he's stamping his authority on this list, unless it's in a horribly negative way.

Stamping his authority on who exactly?

The top four who will always try their heart out?

The bottom 20 who are no good?

The middle 20 who have little two-peaked caps on which say "I'm their leader, which way did they go?"

He has no charisma, he does not seem to have the respect of the playing group.

He is Mumbles from Dick Tracy.

He keeps telling us the playing group is not playing to the game plan.

Well guess what BOSS, it's up to you to make them play to it, and stop hiding behind your skirt by saying they're not doing what you tell them to do. You lack interpersonal skills CLEARLY.

Motivate them, get them moving.

Check your pulse and see if you're breathing FFS.

Cos us supporters aren't convinced you are.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Stop spinning BS Teffers.

Only a f/wit like our previous president would start hunting for a new coach while the season is still alive.
LMFAO - SO hes a shyte coach but you want to keep him?

Your having bets each way again...pathetic....

If you want him gone Jeff just say it and have balls and put up your reasoning.....if you have any...

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

My 'reasoning'?

Are you f***ing serious? :roll:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Teflon wrote:

And STUPID is the word used to those like you Jeffery who want a coach sacked not 2 yrs in to coaching and stamping his authority on the list.

I'm struggling to see where he's stamping his authority on this list, unless it's in a horribly negative way.

Stamping his authority on who exactly?

The top four who will always try their heart out?

The bottom 20 who are no good?

The middle 20 who have little two-peaked caps on which say "I'm their leader, which way did they go?"

He has no charisma, he does not seem to have the respect of the playing group.

He is Mumbles from Dick Tracy.

He keeps telling us the playing group is not playing to the game plan.

Well guess what BOSS, it's up to you to make them play to it, and stop hiding behind your skirt by saying they're not doing what you tell them to do. You lack interpersonal skills CLEARLY.

Motivate them, get them moving.

Check your pulse and see if you're breathing FFS.

Cos us supporters aren't convinced you are.
Hello...theres some logic.....lets sack Lyon cause hes not "wild enough" for ya?

NEWSFLASH: Allan Jeans? Denis Pagan?Bomber Thompson???

All dead as door nails. All Premiership coaches.

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Allan Jeans, "dead as door nails"

Is there anyone you won't slag in your desperate attempts to justify the incompetence you so passionately defended?

The man has more charisma in his big toe than the corpse we have in the box.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

I find it ironic he talks about soft players when he drops Armo :roll:

Before Im 85
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Allan Jeans, "dead as door nails"

Is there anyone you won't slag in your desperate attempts to justify the incompetence you so passionately defended?

The man has more charisma in his big toe than the corpse we have in the box.
So we are losing games cause Lyons not "exciting" enough for you Jeff?

Your friggin desperate now...........

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:Stop spinning BS Teffers.

LMFAO - SO hes a shyte coach but you want to keep him?

Your having bets each way again...pathetic....

If you want him gone Jeff just say it and have balls and put up your reasoning.....if you have any...
i follow the logic here. its like iraq. we never should have gone. but now we are they are we need to help tidy up the mess we made.

so no he cant coach. but let him see out the season and play some kids and give us time to find a new guy that can do the job.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Teflon.[/quote]

Hello...theres some logic.....lets sack Lyon cause hes not "wild enough" for ya?

All dead as door nails. All Premiership coaches.[/quote]

You compare RL to them?

Serious?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Bwahahahahahaha OMG.

Serious?

Peter Griffin moment here.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hilarious

No really................

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Serious...................

OMG I am laughing....................

OMG OMG OMG hang on.........................

Nope couldnt hold it in LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..........................................................

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Okay I'm over it

lololololol

JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:So we are losing games cause Lyons not "exciting" enough for you Jeff?
He's not enough of anything for me Teffers.

I'm sure he sits well with a loser like you though.
You're friggin desperate now...........
TBH, yes I am.

I hope the club are too.

hotdish
Club Player

I am not a huge RL fan, but give the guy a break.

He can only coach with the cattle he has got. I'll judge him when he's had time to recruit his own kids, develop them etc. and play them.

It's not his fault he has so many hacks in the team... There will be a huge cull at the end of the year...

Fiora
Gwilt
Harvey
Gehrig
Ferguson
Rix

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:[quote="Teflon.

You compare RL to them?

Serious?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Bwahahahahahaha OMG.

Serious?

Peter Griffin moment here.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hilarious

No really................

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Serious...................

OMG I am laughing....................

OMG OMG OMG hang on.........................

Nope couldnt hold it in LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..........................................................

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Okay I'm over it

lololololol[/quote]

Geezus mate we're all dissappointed by a loss but how old are you?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Teflon wrote:So we are losing games cause Lyons not "exciting" enough for you Jeff?
He's not enough of anything for me Teffers.

I'm sure he sits well with a loser like you though.
You're friggin desperate now...........
TBH, yes I am.

I hope the club are too.
Stick to your arse piking Jeff...its clear thats where your logic gets plucked from.

Sack the coach...here we go Jeffery...thats the answer?

F@rk your useless... :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
congorozides
Club Player

[/quote]

dennis pagan is actually known for his sense of humour. also not sure how jeans and pago would go with gen y. not so well. both very old school. and i think bomber thompson has a bit more fun in him than rl.
"ALL OF YOU! ALL OF YOU". now that was funny!

JeffDunne

hotdish wrote:I am not a huge RL fan, but give the guy a break.

He can only coach with the cattle he has got. I'll judge him when he's had time to recruit his own kids, develop them etc. and play them.

It's not his fault he has so many hacks in the team... There will be a huge cull at the end of the year...

Fiora
Gwilt

Gehrig
Ferguson
Rix
Lyon had the chance to cull those players but he didn't.

In fact he re-drafted two of those players.

He's also the first coach I can remember to draft two players out of retirement.

But yeah, let's give him a pass mark anyway. :roll:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:

All dead as door nails. All Premiership coaches.
[/quote]

dennis pagan is actually known for his sense of humour. also not sure how jeans and pago would go with gen y. not so well. both very old school. and i think bomber thompson has a bit more fun in him than rl.
"ALL OF YOU! ALL OF YOU". now that was funny![/quote]

yes Denis is quite the card...caught him at the comedy festival a few years back.......split my sides.... :?

“Yeah….nah””
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

LOL I posted elsewhere on the average Male Aussie age I have 32 years left.

But the way I live I limit it to 20.

Not long left.

I don't see a flag in the next five at least, the way we are being coached by Mumbles.

I detest our style of play (although I've nto yet seen a minute of today's game yet).

I want to see a flag.

Desperately.

And I'm shattered that I'm gonna be OS when the Great Man plays his last game, I wont be back til the second finals week.

Insipid performances, mediocrity, mate I am sick of it. I've sat through too many of them.

I'm over it.

I want to see these blokes inspired, I want to see a coach with balls, I want to see someone who gets angry, feels the RWB, feels our clubs heartache.

FFS I want to see a flag.

For mine, RL is sitting back being a well paid muppet.

He is NOT getting through to the playing group, as he has stated they are not playing to his game plan.

santazzi
Club Player

Can some one please post a summary of Lyon's remarks which is the subject of this thread. It is hard to follow this thread with out having some idea of what the coach said about soft some thing or another...........

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:LOL I posted elsewhere on the average Male Aussie age I have 32 years left.

But the way I live I limit it to 20.

Not long left.

I don't see a flag in the next five at least, the way we are being coached by Mumbles.

I detest our style of play (although I've nto yet seen a minute of today's game yet).

I want to see a flag.

Desperately.

And I'm shattered that I'm gonna be OS when the Great Man plays his last game, I wont be back til the second finals week.

Insipid performances, mediocrity, mate I am sick of it. I've sat through too many of them.

I'm over it.

I want to see these blokes inspired, I want to see a coach with balls, I want to see someone who gets angry, feels the RWB, feels our clubs heartache.

FFS I want to see a flag.

For mine, RL is sitting back being a well paid muppet.

He is NOT getting through to the playing group, as he has stated they are not playing to his game plan.
Ok lets use your logic, and follow all that.

And not ONE mentione of insipid player performances? players who are well paid to kick goals and miss from point blank?
Players who lay 1 tackle between them - Dal/Montagna??????(these are our guns by the way)

Nah...just sack "mumbles" and bring in some twit to chest beat so we "Feel" like weve got a great coach.

To easy. The problems are deeper than Lyon and face facts we have been sliding for a while and not developing replacements for gehrigs and Co.

“Yeah….nah””
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Teflon
Ok lets use your logic, and follow all that.

And not ONE mentione of insipid player performances? players who are well paid to kick goals and miss from point blank?
Players who lay 1 tackle between them - Dal/Montagna??????(these are our guns by the way)

Nah...just sack "mumbles" and bring in some twit to chest beat so we "Feel" like weve got a great coach.

To easy. The problems are deeper than Lyon and face facts we have been sliding for a while and not developing replacements for gehrigs and Co.[/quote]

OK the problems are deeper than Lyon.

Maybe they stem from his support staff.

Let's be serious the bloke couldn't inspire a third leg in a three legged race.

But apart from that, he has a lot of cattle who were performing very well and should have been performing better, there are other threads that cover that.

I was not a pro GT or an anti RL groupie.

I saw both sides.

At the moment I see RL as a very insipid pathetic weasley leader trying to make excuses for his own inadequacies.

FFS if I walked into a "boss" job in my job with the vast majority being well above average, with an upper echelon of elites and a good group of support, and I was getting paid $500,000 (ish) (would never happen to me) and if 18 months into my contract my team wasn't performing for me and we were going backwards - well what would I do?

I'd mumble my way through a few pressers, then turn on my employees.

And first I'd blame my staffers such as JB, SOS etc.

And I would never blame myself.

Damn those employees, and damn them to hell.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Can some one please post a summary of Lyon's remarks which is the subject of this thread. It is hard to follow this thread with out having some idea of what the coach said about soft some thing or another...........

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon has labelled his team mentally and physically soft in the aftermath of its 46-point loss to Brisbane at the Gabba.

In a stinging appraisal of the Saints, Lyon said a number of changes would be made ahead of next week's match against Melbourne after the inept performance.

He said too much was being left to too few and the buck had to stop now.

With St Kilda's record at four wins and five losses and sitting just a game outside the eight, the Saints coach was not writing the season off, but said it was time for change.

Lyon did not mince words in his assessment.

"If we're honest, which is a reflection of me which grates on me, but we're not hard and we're not tough enough, consistently enough,'' he said.

"I could show you games and I could show you quarters, but footy is about a week-in, week-out battle. We're not hard and tough enough, often enough across the board, which is my responsibility and I've got 13 weeks to fix that and if I can't do that we'll assess.

"It's a reflection of me and my job at the minute, for the supporters and the club, to set us in a direction with a group of players who aren't mentally soft and physically soft and at the minute we've got a few that are - and opposition clubs know that.

"It's hard to put an exact figure but it's too many (players).

"I'm talking about consistency, we're talking about trying to be an elite team. It can't swing that dramatically. We need players that will bleed for the guernsey.

"The heat will come on the club and myself and that's fair enough and we need to examine exactly why we're inconsistent and who wants to go forward with our leaders."

St Kilda watched as Brisbane slammed on 14 goals to four in the second and third quarters on Sunday and took a 69-point lead into the final term.

The Lions were more desperate and more skilful and with the exception of midfield trio Luke Ball, Lenny Hayes and Robert Harvey, the Saints engine room was lacking.

Lyon said it was a "massive concern" that 36-year-old Harvey was still the player willing to work the hardest and he described his team's forward pressure as "pitiful".

"Champions deliver under pressure in any environment under any conditions against any opposition and that's what Rob Harvey continues to do," he said.

Lyon defended his team's leadership, saying Hayes, Ball and Nick Riewoldt were superb around the club, and was certainly not writing the team off for 2008.

"Our season is alive in a sense that there's enough teams we can beat and sneak into the bottom end of the eight, there's no doubt about that," he said.

"Four and five is a hole but it's not irreversible, so I'm not throwing away the season.

"You can't make wholesale changes but you've got to weed some out. It starts with competing and we're not competing for long enough, often enough."

Lyon said he paid little credence to St Kilda's eight goals to four final term: "it's easy to kick eight when the game's over, you've got to do it when the heat's on."

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.