Where are the usual suspects?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:No matter what happens, we must kick MORE goals, alot more. But maybe I should just listen to RLm he is after all a coach which I am obviously not. He thinks one needs to only kick 10-12 goals and we will win enough games to play finals.
My brother asked Nathan Burke about the way we played in the Victory Room after the game.

"We have a game plan that can beat the top teams"

Seriously.
Are you saying Nathan Burke has NO idea?
If Nathan Burke thinks our game plan can beat the top teams, then on that point, yes , he has no idea. It's the blind leading the blind at STKFC. He may of course have just been towing the party line, but he if really thinks that, then fork me, we're in deeper sh*t than I thought.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well I have no doubt Nathan Burke is a st kilda man through and through, and right or wrong he will do whats best for st kilda.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where are the usual suspects?

Con Gorozidis wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
brown-coat wrote:I'm right here.

Go sainters! We beat freo!

Though not surprising. We always win the games we're expected to win and never pull anything truly impressive from the hat.
It was the end of the world, there was a stench about the club, all the players hated Lyon, he is destroying careers.

All this carryon with the dropping of Dal Santo.

You are a pathetic piece of negative dross. Must be terrible for you today because the Saints won.

You must be devestated :roll:
keep the vitriole in your pants. we beat freo in melbourne FFS. hardly a time to be claiming "i told u say status"

saints have serious flaws and they havent gone away because of yesterday.
Friday's game actually highlighted to me, the concerns I've had all along.

Our list is no good??

18 marks to our AA CHF and 3 goals.
32 touches to our AA centreman.
16 touches in the first quarter to our AA Ruck Rover.
30 touches to another AA midfielder.
One of the best running backs in the game had 5 Inside 50s and kicked 2 goals.

Our good players got us over the line. We won on raw talent. We used to be criticised for this - but now it's more of a problem than ever.

To have your good players play very well, and only manage to kick 64 points is a massive problem.

Freo had more scoring shots than us. In Melbourne.

Our style of play is a massive issue. It's the issue.

Forget the 'list', the 'list' is the only thing getting us over the line.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Mon 23 Jun 2008 10:09am, edited 1 time in total.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Be careful, you could be called a troll for that kind of talk!

Remember, the official line is our coach is fantastic and the list is excellent.

Nothing is wrong!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

freo are the worst excuse for a footy team going around. they rely wholly on pav. if i was pav i would move to port adelaide (his home) and take over from tredrea.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:freo are the worst excuse for a footy team going around. they rely wholly on pav. if i was pav i would move to port adelaide (his home) and take over from tredrea.
why would he go to port if he's whole family is mad crows, especially his nan.
and anyway, who gives a rats what he does?
f****** troll...piss off

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where are the usual suspects?

rodgerfox wrote: Our good players got us over the line. We won on raw talent. We used to be criticised for this - but now it's more of a problem than ever.

To have your good players play very well, and only manage to kick 64 points is a massive problem.

Freo had more scoring shots than us. In Melbourne.

Our style of play is a massive issue. It's the issue.

Forget the 'list', the 'list' is the only thing getting us over the line.
Have to agree with you Roger. It's good to win. I'd rather win than lose. That said the style of the win was as about as inspiring as Kochie and Mel.
We are playing an absolutely crap brand of footy. It's painful to watch. Looks like it's been constructed by someone who's an insurance salesman or similar whose primary focus is not taking risks. Jesus it's boring. Lyon has completely lost me. Insipid is a good word for him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:f

f****** troll...piss off
ill ignore that! i love being called a troll has become an apparent insult. oh no what to do!

his nan? who has a nan? ok go to the crows. just shows i dont know anything about him. you are the one that seems to know him intricately - then you say who gives a rats what he does. yet you seem to be following his personal life rather closely! i personally have no idea about his nan. you seem to go to her house for scones and tea on sunday afternon.

Mr "i dont care about PAV but i know his nan and other family members on a personal basis"

either way. my point was FREO ARE A JOKE.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Pfft a Scot thinking they know anything about football. Go back and watch that pansy soccer like the rest of your drunken pathetic psuedo pom breed.

No wonder the Romans built a wall to keep you lot of bogan unwashed savages out of England. Australia should have done the same and not imported substance abusing dole bludging sociopath thugs from the slums of Glasgow like you.
Hey JB

I'm not a huge fan of Archie Fraser either, but aren't you going just a bit over the top here? :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:f

f****** troll...piss off
ill ignore that! i love being called a troll has become an apparent insult. oh no what to do!

his nan? who has a nan? ok go to the crows. just shows i dont know anything about him. you are the one that seems to know him intricately - then you say who gives a rats what he does. yet you seem to be following his personal life rather closely! i personally have no idea about his nan. you seem to go to her house for scones and tea on sunday afternon.

Mr "i dont care about PAV but i know his nan and other family members on a personal basis"

either way. my point was FREO ARE A JOKE.
FWIW There is a Port connection with Pav: certainly, I understand that Pav's girlfriend from way back (I'm not sure if they're still together) is a cousin of the Cornes boys. But that's by the by.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

and still the usual suspects are quiet.

Sad two weeks for the cabbages.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:and still the usual suspects are quiet.

:wink:

Has no one explained how we managed such a courageous win 'in spite' of the coach yet?

Saints43
Club Player

markp wrote:

Has no one explained how we managed such a courageous win 'in spite' of the coach yet?
Did he coach the first quarter and a half or were the players rubbish?

That was a good win after a terrible start.

Has the coach coaxed a full 100 minute convincing performance out of this team in thirty six starts? I don't think so.

In my opinion we are still well below where we should be.

Do you have an opinion on the coach or are you just here to write "yeah"?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
markp wrote:

Has the coach coaxed a full 100 minute convincing performance out of this team in thirty six starts? I don't think so.

My opinion of the coach is that he is obviously no fool, and has a great understanding of the game.

I also think he should be given the support, time and space to prove himself (ie the term of his contract, perhaps with a review at the end of this season)...

It's way too simplistic to blame him entirely when we play badly, yet when we play well turn around say something like "it's because we threw the game-plan away and let the players play their 'natural' game"....

Comparing 2008 to 2004-5 etc. I think is also futile. I agree we are well below where we should be, but I hope and believe things can and will slowly turn around.

Coaches need support and confidence too, much of the bagging of the guy here has been appalling.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
markp wrote:

My opinion of the coach is that he is obviously no fool, and has a great understanding of the game.

I also think he should be given the support, time and space to prove himself (ie the term of his contract, perhaps with a review at the end of this season)...

It's way too simplistic to blame him entirely when we play badly, yet when we play well turn around say something like "it's because we threw the game-plan away and let the players play their 'natural' game"....

Comparing 2008 to 2004-5 etc. I think is also futile. I agree we are well below where we should be, but I hope and believe things can and will slowly turn around.

Coaches need support and confidence too, much of the bagging of the guy here has been appalling.
Im in 1oo% agreeance Mark.

Unfortunately saints43 thinks "sacking ross lyon" somehow gets us somewhere "new" with an ability to simply fix someglaring deficiencies by finding a miracle coach who simply "turns" on performance.

I truly believe Lyons request for greater accountability from st kilda will take time. His attitude will take time to catch on at a club that marvels in the brilliance of the individuals and not the team. Hes almost blue collar at a club that likes its players with "flair and tricks" yet its the blue collar, disciplined, defensively built sides that get the flags.......

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
markp wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
markp wrote:

Im in 1oo% agreeance Mark.

Unfortunately saints43 thinks "sacking ross lyon" somehow gets us somewhere "new" with an ability to simply fix someglaring deficiencies by finding a miracle coach who simply "turns" on performance.

I truly believe Lyons request for greater accountability from st kilda will take time. His attitude will take time to catch on at a club that marvels in the brilliance of the individuals and not the team. Hes almost blue collar at a club that likes its players with "flair and tricks" yet its the blue collar, disciplined, defensively built sides that get the flags.......
Yup, well said... sometimes you have to take one step backwards in order to take two steps forward.

We've seen enough 'glimpses' to justify having faith in the man and his methods... (IMO!)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Lyon is a fool, however I don't think he is taking advantage of what st kilda has.

I think what we say against North was St Kilda's talent coming to the fore, not any great coaching skill.

however if he has instilled more confidence in the players, thats a positive.

further from the excerp posted here from his press conference if he is starting to take responsibility for bad play, that also is a positive, instead of continually blaming the players.

Finally our last quarter where we basically doubled our score, from the previous 3 quarters was an ominous sign of what st kilda is capable of, and North are one of the better shut down sides.

again in 2 weeks time we are up against another team, which i believe has far less talent than st kilda but playing with more discipline.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:[Unfortunately saints43 thinks "sacking ross lyon" somehow gets us somewhere "new" with an ability to simply fix someglaring deficiencies by finding a miracle coach who simply "turns" on performance.
If you can find once where I've said that then post it. Otherwise STFU.

Am deadset sick of you knocking off from the late shift at Maccas, logging on and spinning BS.

You don't even go to games do you? Are you a member of the club?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I don't think Lyon is a fool, however I don't think he is taking advantage of what st kilda has.
It's the million dollar question, is he stifling what we have or adding a new dimension to it?... a work in progress no doubt, but do you give him the support and opportunity to complete it, or howl him down and kick him out mid-stream? (like Jorn Utzon :wink:)

Saints43
Club Player

markp wrote:It's the million dollar question, is he stifling what we have or adding a new dimension to it?...
It's a multi-million dollar question and will be answered on the next few annual reports.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Unfortunately saints43 thinks "sacking ross lyon" somehow gets us somewhere "new" with an ability to simply fix someglaring deficiencies by finding a miracle coach who simply "turns" on performance.
That's pretty facile. Firing Ross Lyon does get us somewhere, like him or hate him. It get's us out of the Ross Lyon playbook. Ross Lyon has questionmarks on his playbook and on his leadership. While it night be naive to expect a coaching change would suddenly turn us into a premiership side, there's plenty of room to argue it would improve the Saints.
We hear a lot of that, but other than Sydney, there's been no premier in the last decade who was incontivertably built defense out. The Cats had Scarlett as hero when they were bad... but in the end, they were built on having a midfield with the brownlow winner and prior brownlow favourite, and an attacking team oriented approach. The Eagles were midfield first, second and 3rd, ably supported by Glass, the Lions were all about the midfield, with great KPP at both ends... Essendon was a cut above until the Lions came along, starting with the midfield...

All those midfields built to offense far more than we do these days. We can argue till the cows come home about whether or not accountability was a key element of their work, but the point is that we're unlikely to be able to conclusively say "defensively built sides get the flags" to mass concensus.

Now, we've seen some great quarters, and I'd even say that we should recognise that during the comeback on Saturday, a big element of it was that North could not get an easy touch. If we can see more of that then it will lead to a wide acceptance of Lyon's methods.

To date, we've seen far more quarters like the first one, games like the Freo one, and without seeing our defensive results improve, we've seen our offense fall to the bottom of the league.

Is it really a wonder therefore that Lyon's methods find a wide audience of doubters? Hopefully Saturday night signalled that Lyon's Saints aren't without the ability and desire to silence those doubts. There's a fair road to travel though before laughing off the idea that a new coach and a new direction would mean a new set of results.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: Is it really a wonder therefore that Lyon's methods find a wide audience of doubters? Hopefully Saturday night signalled that Lyon's Saints aren't without the ability and desire to silence those doubts. There's a fair road to travel though before laughing off the idea that a new coach and a new direction would mean a new set of results.
Doubters are not a problem... vitriolic shyte baggers are.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Teflon wrote:
We hear a lot of that, but other than Sydney, there's been no premier in the last decade who was incontivertably built defense out. The Cats had Scarlett as hero when they were bad... but in the end, they were built on having a midfield with the brownlow winner and prior brownlow favourite, and an attacking team oriented approach. The Eagles were midfield first, second and 3rd, ably supported by Glass, the Lions were all about the midfield, with great KPP at both ends... Essendon was a cut above until the Lions came along, starting with the midfield...
Thats the biggest load of horse shyte youve written. Go back and read what those who have PLAYED AND COACHED the game at the highest level - the Malthouses and last week it was Brereton on radio and what were they saying/do they say? PREMIERSHIP sides are invariably built on rock solid defense - FACT.

You mention midfields - we had an awesome midfield in 97.....lost the game down back.....then you mention Brisbanes gun midfield and failto mention a backline consisting of Scott's x 2, Leppitsch, Mal Michale.... and now we look at Geelong - can I suggest you grab a copy of the current ladder with Pts Against and just have a look at why Geelong AND Sydney are so good??????.....miserly defensive units again.

But what would those who have played and coached the game know against your backdrop of SS experience right? :roll:

BTW - sacking a coach gets you where youve been before - as much as you can tritely argue "it could be better" I could argue it could be worse - infact after our last debarcle being so fresh Id argue it would be.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Teflon wrote:[Unfortunately saints43 thinks "sacking ross lyon" somehow gets us somewhere "new" with an ability to simply fix someglaring deficiencies by finding a miracle coach who simply "turns" on performance.

Am deadset sick of you knocking off from the late shift at Maccas, logging on and spinning BS.

I work 4 shifts a week at McDonalds and have enormous pride in my job - last week I got promoted to the electric pickle slicer (and that can take a finger off I'll have you know)

Ever had your pickle sliced?

I currently am pushing McDonalds to promote Ben McEvoy as the "Big Mac in Attack" burger so am doing all for my club I can and would appreciate some support from you...although your not good at that unless we are sacking the coach yeah?

“Yeah….nah””
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

I work 4 shifts a week at McDonalds and have enormous pride in my job - last week I got promoted to the electric pickle slicer (and that can take a finger off I'll have you know)

Ever had your pickle sliced?

I currently am pushing McDonalds to promote Ben McEvoy as the "Big Mac in Attack" burger so am doing all for my club I can and would appreciate some support from you...although your not good at that unless we are sacking the coach yeah?

my best mate once got flown to Brisbane to compete in "Bunman of the Year" and he won!! So you've got something to aspire to Teffers. You too could be Australia's top bunman with nice toasty buns.