Luke VanRheenan - stay or go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Attard was an average player before he did his knee; Dempster has his spot now. Massively overrated by our fans. Can't find the footy - shut down roles can be performed by several others elsewhere.
This is what I was getting at, but he does play well on small forwards, and with Baker not going to be around forever, he could be good depending on matchups.

Dempster is a mid/tagger.
Birss is a mid/forward.
McQualter is a mid.

To have someone who can stop an opponent, mid or back, it would be good to have the flexibility.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think Attard will be too old to be retaken as a rookie. He will have to be either elevated or let go. For mine we now have several other players who can play his role. We no longer need him.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What has happened to my avatar again???

Ros Lyon
Club Player

Gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:I think Attard will be too old to be retaken as a rookie. He will have to be either elevated or let go. For mine we now have several other players who can play his role. We no longer need him.
Doesn't need to be retaken, can be retained for another year. Teams are also allowed to take one overager, and with the elevation of Jones, I don't believe we have one.

I really suspect that the knee injury spells the end of Attard's AFL aspirations, but he earned himself enough loyalty in my books to be given his final year of rookie eligability to prove himself a player.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I think Attard will be too old to be retaken as a rookie. He will have to be either elevated or let go. For mine we now have several other players who can play his role. We no longer need him.
Doesn't need to be retaken, can be retained for another year. Teams are also allowed to take one overager, and with the elevation of Jones, I don't believe we have one.

I really suspect that the knee injury spells the end of Attard's AFL aspirations, but he earned himself enough loyalty in my books to be given his final year of rookie eligability to prove himself a player.

One overager if they haven't been AFL listed before Attard has been

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
How old is Miles? Not being a smartarze, just thought he was a little older !!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
i think miles is 21. yep. born 30/10/86

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Miles will be 22 in October. Attard has been 22 since Feb.

Rookie age is 18-23, with each list permitted to select one older player (player must not have been on a rookie or senior list previously, so unless he can get elevated or drafted after next year, that'd be it for Attard).

I'm not sure how/if those rules affect retention, but I don't think there would be any problem with St Kilda retaining both Miles and Attard as rookies.

- Henry Ford
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

2 year limit on being on a rookie list at any club this is attards second year, so can't be retained on the rookies list.

Not sure if that means he can be redrafted onto the rookie list but he definantly can't just stay as he is.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You can redraft anyone on the rookie list its just other clubs can also have a go. No one will want Attard so if we want him we get him.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

can we delist and then re-list as a rookie ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Raven
Club Player

In regards to Miles, he's generally played as a fullback isn't he? With the imminent retirement of Max, is Miles worth persevering with to groom as our next fullback, possibly, if he can find form?

Having said that, I've only ever seen him play once, and that was at the NAB cup this year. So admittedly I don't know a lot about him.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:2 year limit on being on a rookie list at any club this is attards second year, so can't be retained on the rookies list.

Not sure if that means he can be redrafted onto the rookie list but he definantly can't just stay as he is.
For the second time this thread:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie_list :
Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible players, whilst Brisbane and Sydney can list a maximum of nine. Up to three rookies can be retained for a second or third season, with the others having to be either delisted or elevated to the primary list at the time of the National Draft.
We can keep Attard.

- Henry Ford
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:For the second time this thread:
Wikipedia is a horrible source.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:For the second time this thread:
Wikipedia is a horrible source.
So give a better one. To the best of my knowledge it's correct in this instance, and it's a better source than anyone else has quoted so far.

Edit: try this one:
http://www.aflpa.com.au/index.cfm?id=E8 ... 5520041CA6
All clubs lodge a Primary List of up to 35 names, including players promoted from the Rookie List and those eligible to be nominated under the Father/Son Rule. A club may retain, with the players' permission, rookie players on its Rookie List for a second or third season, as well as scholarship players.

- Henry Ford
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Gone. So are Attard and Chivers for that matter

surely attard deserves another shot - assuming his knee is healed fully? i guess dempster plays his spot.... but still. he is ok. keep all the young guys i reckon.

i have no idea about LVR - but i do know we need a decent young ruckman pretty badly...