Was anyone at Harvey's first game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
Quixote wrote:Who was responsible for Harvey's recruitment?
Wasn't he part of our first development squad set-up
(Maybe U/15)

Wayne Hughes have anything to do with development squad??

i am not sure of the finer details but wasn't there a vcfl zone or something of the type?

Harvey was zoned to st.kilda as a player from seaford. I am sure there is more to it but i recall that being the link with st.kilda

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember Harvs back in his early games ..a good little onballer who needed a bit more bulk and showed promise. A good point when looking at our new players who are coming through -be patient as a couple of them might just take the next step

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Persuader wrote:I remember his first game but it was a horrible game - I don't remember Harves doing anything noteworthy but by the end of the season we were calling him 'Brownlow'.
only played 4 games (last 4 rounds) 1988!!!

Not thinking about end of another season

saint4life
yipper
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
Persuader wrote:I remember his first game but it was a horrible game - I don't remember Harves doing anything noteworthy but by the end of the season we were calling him 'Brownlow'.
only played 4 games (last 4 rounds) 1988!!!

Not thinking about end of another season
Correct. Remember Doc Baldock saying he will play the kids - no matter what - for the last 4 games. I saw him play his 2nd game against the orrible orks at Waverley I think. We were smashed again, but a young Harvey caught my eye as he was very quick and could get the ball.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
El Wood
Club Player

Yeh, I was there. Remember looking out for Harvey because of the famous name (nephew of Neil Harvey). He ran about a bit and looked like he could run about a bit. Remember Brett Bowey too - the last St.Kilda player to come from St.Kilda, i.e. St.Kilda City football club.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Statistically his first season was nothing special, he played 4 games and averaged around 14 touches.

His second season however was great for a 17 year old!!
If you ignore his first 4 games (which he still had >10 games exp and was getting used to the game at it's highest level) he averaged 26 touches, including hauls of 27,29,30,33 and 36 possie games.

He then averaged 25 touches in his 3rd season (which he started younger than Armitage), He even managed a 37 possie game in a loss to Carlton.

He averaged 26 touches again in '91, including 38 and 39 possie games and 29 touches in his first ever final.

He averaged a fantastic 29 possies in '92 including games of 41,41,44 possies. He also managed to get 34 and 27 possies in his two finals appearences in those games.

That is an extraordinary first four season from a man who finished '92 as a 22 year old.

It is also important to remember just how much the game has changed since Harvey first started playing, a possession was worth a lot more back then because they didn't play the possession based game we see today... So back when Harvey was getting 30+ games it was the equivalent of a 40+ game today...

What's truly tragic though is that supporters of other clubs often forget just how good Harvey used to be, it drived me insane when I hear someone call Harvey the king of the uncontested footy, I don't believe you could find another player who has ever won more contested footy in the history of the game.

The guy is a true legend!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

El Wood wrote:Yeh, I was there. Remember looking out for Harvey because of the famous name (nephew of Neil Harvey).
a famous sporting family and the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

for anyone who didn't know, neil harvey is regarded as one of australia's greatest batsmen.

a left hander, he scored 6149 runs at 48.41 in Tests including 21 centuries and a highest score of 205.

the old-timers, including bradman, regarded him as one of the game's most devastating and attacking players. also reportedly had to be seen to be believed in the field.

he was a member of the invincibles team of 1948 which, under bradman's captaincy, went through the entire ashes tour unbeaten.

a 100 in his second Test innings as a 19-year-old made him the youngest australian century-maker, a record that still stands (i think).

one of six cricketing brothers, four of whom represented Victoria. his brother merv also played for australia.

nowadays neil, 79, is better known as banger's great uncle :wink:
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 08 Aug 2008 12:36am, edited 7 times in total.

davidgrantfan
Club Player

yes! "Gangly" is exactly the word I would use to describe Harves whe he first played. Had time and space to move and wrongfoot opponents right from the first time I saw him, , but his kicking was really hit and miss there for awhile., and often brought his great work undone...at least that's how I remember things.

I wasnt actually at the western oval game ...so I realise now that I must have only witnessed his second or even third game...the passage of time does things to the mind..

Harvey ,Lockett, Winmar ,Grant ,Burke , loewe, Elphinstone, Frawley, Burns, Barker...all there and looking great in '88

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I can't remember the game, but I would have been there.

If I remember correctly, we played a game against Melbourne late 88 or 89 that we won in an upset and Harvey starred with 30 + possessions.

That was game where he really came into the spotlight.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Geelong Road end at Western Oval. Another dirty day for the Saints.

Harves was one of a few kids blooded at the end of '88.

4 games that launched a legend in '88, who went on to play for 21 years.

What a coming of age!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I was there. Harvey got about 14 touches and the one I remember was that he was just forward of the centre when he received a hospital handpass from a team mate. But, instead of panicing, he baulked slightly to his left and handballed over his right should to a team mate running forward and we got a goal out of it. Amazingly, he avoided getting pole-axed, much to the relief of us Saints fans on the outer wing. The first of many Houdini like performances by Harvey.

The most impressive debut that day was from Brett Bowey, who got about 20 touches and delivered the ball beautifully to his team mates. At that very early stage Bowey looked superior - a natural rover. It's a pity the Sheldon thought so little of him and would drag him off the ground even when he was dominating. I remember a game against Fitzroy in about 1990 or 1991 at Princes Park. We were about five goals down at 3/4 time. Bowey got the first five clearances for the last quarter and we got level with them. he was brilliant - on fire! Inexplicably, Sheldon took Bowey off and the midfield went belly-up and we lost by a few goals. Bowey played very little footy after that. He was a good little player who wasn't supported by his coach.

I also remember early in 1989 when we were playing Richmond at the MCG. I watched the replay and during the commentary Peter McKenna announced that "This kid is going to be a dead-set champion", to which his fellow commentators scoffed at and then ridiculed McKenna. McKenna also announced in 1990 that Tony Lockett was the best full-forward he had ever seen. He was a good judge that Mckenna fellow.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Mckenna was referring to Harvey, of course. Not Bowey.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:You can see him in this clip from 1989...

i love nicky winmar......won us that game.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

three kids debuted that day...banger , bowey...and fode .,..from memory.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Mckenna was referring to Harvey, of course. Not Bowey.

i remember the comments.........very early on it was obvious that harvey had a touch of magic about him.......all class......should have won three possibly 4 brownlows...only injury stopped him....

Ali92
Club Player

I recall one game at the G, I went with 3 rellies who were Tiger fans, we were in front at 3 qtr time by at least 9 goals I think, Harves must have gotten 40 touches that day, he was awesome ! but in the last qtr the tiges piled on about 6 goals to one, i remember their centre clearances were killing us... i kept punching the plastic chair in front of me in frustration... not sure if it was 1990 or not? man, that's 18 years ago!!

Global Warming? don't you dare question this or you'll be called a heretic...remember the Catholic Church in the Middle Ages? "the earth is flat !!!"
I thought science was all about finding the truth and asking questions...why do we all have to believe what we are told ffs ????
mcadam05
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
El Wood wrote:Yeh, I was there. Remember looking out for Harvey because of the famous name (nephew of Neil Harvey).
a famous sporting family and the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

for anyone who didn't know, neil harvey is regarded as one of australia's greatest batsmen.

a left hander, he scored 6149 runs at 48.41 in Tests including 21 centuries and a highest score of 205.

the old-timers, including bradman, regarded him as one of the game's most devastating and attacking players. also reportedly had to be seen to be believed in the field.

he was a member of the invincibles team of 1948 which, under bradman's captaincy, went through the entire ashes tour unbeaten.

a 100 in his second Test innings as a 19-year-old made him the youngest australian century-maker, a record that still stands (i think).

one of six cricketing brothers, four of whom represented Victoria. his brother merv also played for australia.

nowadays neil, 79, is better known as banger's great uncle :wink:
Neil Harvey's full name is ROBERT NEIL HARVEY , they share the same name and the famous Harvey waddle

davidgrantfan
Club Player

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

""i love nicky winmar......won us that game..... """

Absolutely! That magical passage of play is the most vivid and fond memory I have of Nicky Winmar at Moorabbin... right in the dying moments of the game too.. We dined out on that win for years.

One of the most magical players Ive ever had the pleasure of watching. With his slight build he could still kick 70m. Amazing.

loris
Saintsational Legend

I can remember taking note of him purely because I'm a 'cricket tragic' and because of who his uncle was. Little did I know this young kid would eventually be the player I admire most since I can recall following the Saints since about 1953 0r 1954.

Oh Harves I hate to think the end is nigh seeing you don the guernsey and give your all for the Saints :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: