Nathan Carroll

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spiral2
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:I'm not serious, apparently the club is, take your gripe up with them.

However it was you who mentioned Silvagni as a player to consider.

You really have verylittle idea on football if you think Silvagni could play AFL.

How many clubs have draft Silvagni? How many games of AFL has Silvagni played compared to Carroll???

Fair Dinkum - Silvagni :roll: :roll: :roll:

What nned does he fill you ask?

1) No Goose
2) No Dempster
3) Aging Max
4) Ross want to free up Sam Fisher

Theres four for a start.

Bet you were one who moaned about Dempster last year as well :roll: :roll:

And I certainly would back Rosses judgement over someone who thinks Silvagni could play AFL :roll:
tetchy aren't you?
I am an idiot you are a genius, please forgive me internet master

no - didn't bag Dempster on here, thought he was pretty average early in the year but got his game going later on.

ThePunter
Club Player

If we really needed to pick up a back-up defender, I would think Zac Dawson is preferable to Nathan Carroll. I really don't want to see Carroll at St Kilda.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Damon White would be a decent back-up backman aswell

HarveysDeciple

would be one of the club's worst decisions recruiting wise that I can recall.

It's ok to seek a back up option, but he isn't it.

An absolutely terrible footballer who is a nuffy as well.

If he works his way into our 22 at any stage we are dead set stuffed.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

why don't you all take it up with the club.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Fraser Gehrig was considered a d**khead at the club we took him from then we helped make him as a bloke and a player.

Memories like goldfish, some of you.

Carroll might be a complete tool, but if defensive stocks are thin, and the club thinks they can do something with him on the cheap, then all power to them.

And, it has to be said, I reckon if I was running around with a team that hasn't won for donkey's and plays blokes like Col Sylvia and others like him then my behaviour would be less than exemplary too.

Wise up! The power of redemption CAN be a powerful motivator. Stuey Dew anyone?

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

Worrying stuff.

I would think this shows the club's lack of faith in Matty McGuire making a full recover to AFL Level football. It has been a pretty horrific run of injuries.

I hope i'm wrong.

Regardless, don't think Carroll would make our best 22. Defence has been a rock in recent years.

go saints!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Saw him flat put punch Ben Holland in the head at thier muck-up day... He was completely off his nut, and only chilled out when a very aggitated Nietz got in his face and had a word...

(the story in the paper went that Holland broke his nose by walking into a door or something)..

This guy is the bottom of the barrell.... Plus, he has ZERO ability... It would be the most ridiculous move ever made by the club, and would only take us backwards...

Say NO to Carroll...

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Fraser Gehrig was considered a d**khead at the club we took him from then we helped make him as a bloke and a player.

Memories like goldfish, some of you.

Carroll might be a complete tool, but if defensive stocks are thin, and the club thinks they can do something with him on the cheap, then all power to them.

And, it has to be said, I reckon if I was running around with a team that hasn't won for donkey's and plays blokes like Col Sylvia and others like him then my behaviour would be less than exemplary too.

Wise up! The power of redemption CAN be a powerful motivator. Stuey Dew anyone?
Agreed.

Was constantly the last line of defence for the worst team in the league over the last few years. Its hard being a defender when your midfield does no work. He was up against it no doubt.

Hes not a dud. Hes a GOP, and we badly need some depth in our key defensive stocks. If Max happens to go down, and Goose isnt back, what do we do?

We have Sammy Fisher, Jason Blake, Sam Gilbert, Brendon Goddard - all of whom could potentially take a CHB or mobile FF, but come on. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Carroll would be a cheap backup - nothing else. He's ready made for AFL footy. He wont win alot of the ball, ala Bock. He won hurt the opposition offensively like Scarlett, but he does generally break even.

Id be alot more satisfied with our list if we picked up Cousins and Carroll in the PSD, as well a young potential KPP, a hff and a tough, quick midfielder in the draft.

Saint 58
Club Player

Nathan Carroll is not a footballer's asshole.

Also, remember when he bumped Kosi who was on his knees after a collision - geez that was real tough wasn't it ??

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote:Nathan Carroll is not a footballer's asshole.

Also, remember when he bumped Kosi who was on his knees after a collision - geez that was real tough wasn't it ??
Gimme a break. Sure we whinge about it when it happens to us, but I dont recall anyone complaining when Lenny did it to Hodge in the PF...

Nathan Carroll is no star. He's not even a very good player. He is also a complete tool - from all reports.

He is a ready made, replacement (GOP) for Max, Goose or Chips - when needed in defence - who can fill a hole for a few seasons. Sure talk about Zac Dawson, ive met him and hes a lovely bloke, but hes still skinnier than Eljay and has been on an AFL list for 3 or 4 seasons already.

busso mick
Club Player

I agree with Joffaboy, he would be a good back up option. Forget about his off field behaviour for a second as it said he would be on a trial for 2 weeks to convince the Saints he would be worth a punt. I have seen him play a few good games, he is strong and can take a contested mark, and with Max likely to miss some games with niggles he is good insurance. If Ross Lyon is interested in him then so am I as he knows more about football flesh than all of us experts on here.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the 11 comments to the article say it all really.......f*** -wit with a capital f...my deamon mate was laughing so hard he pissed himself...ffs.......bring back grant ........at least the dead heads he recruited were young...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Gives away too many frees to even consider due to his temper

Before Im 85
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

honestly i dont know what everyones problem is with him ?? every one says he lets goals through but hey with the team he plays for darren Glass matty scarlett or Maxy couldnt do much better its weight of numbers if the ball comes in 30 times you would expect good defenders to win 18-24 times but when your under seige like the Dees have for some time and the balls comming in 50-60 times eventually the ledger is going to swing the other way regardless of how good a defender they are .

as for him being a d**khead ..... so is Buddy would you turn him down too ? are we here to win popularity contests of footy games ?? i have faith in the recruitment gurus to know more about a player their capabilities and what they can offer to the team then the SS experts ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saint 58
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Gimme a break. Sure we whinge about it when it happens to us, but I dont recall anyone complaining when Lenny did it to Hodge in the PF...

Nathan Carroll is no star. He's not even a very good player. He is also a complete tool - from all reports.

He is a ready made, replacement (GOP) for Max, Goose or Chips - when needed in defence - who can fill a hole for a few seasons. Sure talk about Zac Dawson, ive met him and hes a lovely bloke, but hes still skinnier than Eljay and has been on an AFL list for 3 or 4 seasons already.
Wasn't whinging abt it, just saying that it was a real "tough" act :roll:

Carroll is a ready made footballer's asshole.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Agreed.

Was constantly the last line of defence for the worst team in the league over the last few years. Its hard being a defender when your midfield does no work. He was up against it no doubt.

Hes not a dud. Hes a GOP, and we badly need some depth in our key defensive stocks. If Max happens to go down, and Goose isnt back, what do we do?
He only managed to play 9 games for the bottom side that needed defenders more than anything else......

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
n1ck wrote:Agreed.

He only managed to play 9 games for the bottom side that needed defenders more than anything else......
And in the few years before this season he was the Full Back, every week.

Melbourne didnt need defenders more than anything else. Their defence was thrown to the wolves by lack of midfield talent and work ethic. Sure, they didnt have a premiership defence, but Bailey obviously knew he had an average list to work with, they were going to get pumped week in and week out and got gametime into his youngsters. He will do the same next season.

Nathan Carroll was never going to be in Melbourne's next tilt at a flag. He could well be part of ours.

I mean, Ted Richards has a premiership medal ffs... and lets not even mention Lewis Roberts-Thompson.

adobe
Club Player

Check out WWW.sportingpulse.com.au and statistics and see who had the better stats out of Carroll ,Dawson and Silvagni you see it was Silvagni. Was leading the clubs best and fairest until injured for 4 weeks. Won the clubs most consitent.Held Dawson goaless when he played on him.
Can Watts Naitanui, Swift and Silvagni play AFL. Who knows. But Silvagni has played against AFL league players and accounted himself very well even against Fraser Gehrig in the intraclub game at the start of the season .Where as the TAC comp.is against school footballers. Just turned 21 years old at 193 cm and 95 kilos with great spoiling and tackling skills and plenty of intensity I would prefer him oover the aging Carroll and Dawson.With a bit more development I can see him replacing Max.
joffaboy wrote:
spiral2 wrote: Carroll are you serious? Proven AFL dud and a d-head to boot.

what need does Carrol fulfil, crap defender?

Carroll - lol o rama!
I'm not serious, apparently the club is, take your gripe up with them.

However it was you who mentioned Silvagni as a player to consider.

You really have verylittle idea on football if you think Silvagni could play AFL.

How many clubs have draft Silvagni? How many games of AFL has Silvagni played compared to Carroll???

Fair Dinkum - Silvagni :roll: :roll: :roll:

What nned does he fill you ask?

1) No Goose
2) No Dempster
3) Aging Max
4) Ross want to free up Sam Fisher

Theres four for a start.

Bet you were one who moaned about Dempster last year as well :roll: :roll:

I dont think Carroll is much, but he may fulfill a need that the Saints have.

And I certainly would back Rosses judgement over someone who thinks Silvagni could play AFL :roll:

Saint Mik
Club Player

n1ck wrote:
Saint 58 wrote:Nathan Carroll is not a footballer's asshole.

Yep that sums it up really, nothing more to say :wink:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
hotdish
Club Player

Gee you people have selective memories!

In 2006 many football 'experts' were lobbying for Carrol to be named in the all-australian team. Evidence?

"Carroll, a key defender in All-Australian contention as recently as last year...Carroll was sixth in the best-and-fairest in 2006 and touted as a possible All-Australian. " (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html)

The claim that he can't get a game in the AFL's worst team - cmon! Melbourne were T-A-N-K-I-N-G! They were blooding their youngsters. If Melbourne were offered $1million to win a game, he would be in the best 22 easily.

In 2006 he was a gun, and the Melbourne fans loved him:

"All-Australian might be a bit strong but the scariest looking player in the league has gone ballistic down back this season and in partnership with Jared Rivers has formed the best defensive unit we've had since the Seecamp/Shanahan/Ingerson "Jurassic Pack" of 1998. I'm happy to admit I was wrong about him early last year because he has proven the critics wrong with authority". (http://www.demonblog.com/archives/2006/06/index.php)

He may have attitude problems, but who wouldn't be pissed off if you club wasn't giving you games even though you are a good player.

I trust Ross Lyon and our recruiting staff's judgement. I'm with Joffa on this one.

He is a low risk, high reward pickup - gives us depth, will be on minimum money with us and will pull his finger out. He will be within a club environment that actually has a leadership team that is respected.

We will pick him up for free and lose nothing - all he is doing essentially is taking FERGUSON's spot who never played so who cares.

Getting him frees up Gilbert to play on the wing, and gives us depth.

He is a solid player.

BTW - just for laughs: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Has talent but geez, his attitude is not good historically.

I can stomach a punt on Cousins but the leadership group would need to test this bloke out very thoroughly before we even considered him.

If he comes, I'd make him shave off every bit of hair on his face and head off. Looks like a serious wanker and it reflects in his play.

His biggest bonus would be that he would allow cover for Sam Fisher to play a running role, and he'd be a fine back up in the advent Max broke down.

Interesting to see what happens.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I really hope there's nothing to this. He's welcome to train at Moorabbin after having his contract bought out, and I wish him all luck in securing himself a job somewhere, but Carroll would be nothing but clog at St Kilda.

After winning the FB job in a poor Melbourne backline in '05, he had one decent year in 2006, and like quite a few players from the '06 D's got overrated as a result. His fall back to earth in '07 played it's part in them going from their predicted top 4 berth to the bottom of the ladder.

A good team in front of Carroll would make him look better, but I'd rather not waste a list spot on someone whose role is to be a backup defense first 3rd tall. I'm happy with Blake in defense until such time as Goose can show himself ready and able to resume a spot. On the strength of the final 6 games, I'd rather see Gilbert and Raph given defensive assignments where we want to free up Fisher than bring in Carroll.

I don't care about rumours of personality, I hope there are people at the club who can deal with that in incoming players - but I do not rate Carroll at all.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
TassieJones
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Has talent
No he does not. He is not even a good ordinary player, he is a terrible terrible player. Lets review his year shall we:
- Pre-season: beats up tourists
- Regular season: Concedes well over 4 goals a game (worst in the AFL by a long, long way) over his first 2 months
- Gets dropped for the likes of Col Garland (at that stage 3 games experience from a 19 y.o pick 48 odd) and Stefan Martin (rookie from the VFL) both of whom do a far, far better job than him
- Gets bags kicked on him in the VFL by the likes of Cain Ackland (I kid you not)
- Beats up teammate whilst on the piss
- Doesn't turn up to training

He is a complete and utter, 100%, bona fide hack AND he has a severe attitude problems AND he is past it with 2 years left at best. The decision to give him a chance is indefensible

Saints94
SS Life Member

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I really hope there's nothing to this. He's welcome to train at Moorabbin after having his contract bought out, and I wish him all luck in securing himself a job somewhere, but Carroll would be nothing but clog at St Kilda.

After winning the FB job in a poor Melbourne backline in '05, he had one decent year in 2006, and like quite a few players from the '06 D's got overrated as a result. His fall back to earth in '07 played it's part in them going from their predicted top 4 berth to the bottom of the ladder.

A good team in front of Carroll would make him look better, but I'd rather not waste a list spot on someone whose role is to be a backup defense first 3rd tall. I'm happy with Blake in defense until such time as Goose can show himself ready and able to resume a spot. On the strength of the final 6 games, I'd rather see Gilbert and Raph given defensive assignments where we want to free up Fisher than bring in Carroll.

I don't care about rumours of personality, I hope there are people at the club who can deal with that in incoming players - but I do not rate Carroll at all.
When he had a decent year the Dee's made the finals