Brace yourselves Saints fans....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:The last man is on the bandwagon.... let's roll :twisted:
love it.

i notice a bit of a white-anting attitude out there. "it's yours to lose" etc.

imo it will be "ours to lose" if we make the grand final and are 10 goals up at half time. until such time it is "ours to win".

Thomas
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:I cant handle the pressure - I'm off to support Richmond. :roll:

What pressure???

Its only bloody football for christs sake.

Can we handle the pressure :roll: :roll:

Whats happens if we dont win the Grand Final? The sun comes up the following day, life goes on.

Fair Dinkum, you people need to get some perspective.
I agree with you there, but I still remember being shattered for days after 1971 & 1997, although there is no pressure here, I don't want a repeat of the previous two grand finals we have been part of.

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going.

CARN THE SAINTS.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Fantastic post. It is a great read.

However, don't kid yourselves that we ever had anyone barracking for us or having us as their second favourite team. They may have said so, but they really fell into 2 categories:

a) thankful it was us an not them if they supported a successful team or
b) a case of being misery enjoying company if they supported an unsuccessful team.

Our team has the desire and passion to finish the season off this year. We have one of, if not THE strongest leadership group. A leadership group that watches it's fellow players play in the 2's as a show of support, who are not afraid to drop a player regardless of their status in the game and who are always present at the game to support their team mates whether they are out due to injury/suspension/form.

I don't care what the media or other teams supporters think. Their opinions are irrelevant to me. What I do care about is the attitude and desire of our team and coaches. Can't fault it so far.

I was quite young during the agony of the eighties (and prior), so I don't have as great an expectation for this team to fail as some of the longer suffering supporters. I know our history, but I haven't 'lived' it so to speak. I expect our team to win and don't fear finals at all. This team has a look of steel in their eyes and a determination that must be putting the fear of god into opposition teams. Bring on the finals I say!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brace yourselves Saints fans....

Moods wrote: Hate to be pedantic, but the swans have won two flags - unless we're scrapping their flag from the 1930's because they were known as Sth Melbourne and not Sydney :lol:
More pedantry -
South Melbourne won three flags - 1908, 1918, 1933.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i think rodge has been taken over by some form of entity
:P
good post rodg and i agree.
we are the hunted, everyone wants us to fail

we wont
and we will prove them ALL wrong
and ya know what, i wont stick it up them, i wont get in peoples faces that have given me s*** for years for supporting this club.
i will just walk in to work, dressed head to toe in premiership gear and smile
and then say...
i told you so.......

Moods
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Moods wrote: Hate to be pedantic, but the swans have won two flags - unless we're scrapping their flag from the 1930's because they were known as Sth Melbourne and not Sydney :lol:
More pedantry -
You're quite correct - almost. South won the flag in 1909, NOT 1908, I just googled it :wink:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
More pedantry -
You're quite correct - almost. South won the flag in 1909, NOT 1908, I just googled it :wink:[/quote]

Good work. My bad. :|

ace
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Moods wrote:
More pedantry -
You're quite correct - almost. South won the flag in 1909, NOT 1908, I just googled it :wink:
The Coulter Law was introduced to stop clubs buying premierships after a South Melbourne supporter bought the players that won the 1933 flag.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
markp
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Moods wrote:
More pedantry -
The Coulter Law was introduced to stop clubs buying premierships after a South Melbourne supporter bought the players that won the 1933 flag.
Did anyone tell the scum?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Little snippet on page 63 of todays sun might explain the media thing. It says we might be getting a bit precious with protecting our players from the media. Something to do with Armo getting into trouble for a picture of him and his parents enjoying his 21st.

If the club are keeping the players out of the media, then this may explain why the media are being perceived by some on here as being against us.

I dont think the media are against us or anyone is against us personally just reporting the snippet.

Also I dont know what year it was but Carlton only dropped 2 games for the year and went on to win the flag. The 2 they dropped were agains us and someone else I think maybe sydney. The 2 teams that beat them were last and 2nd last from memory. I can just remember John Elliott making some smug comment that StKilda must be the best team in the league that year cause we beat them.

Anyway who cares what other people think its just great to know that we are in the finals and dont have to wait for other teams to fall over or to win by 1000 points.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I think the year you're referring to was 1995. Carlton were paying a team full of stars about twice the salary cap. Instead of taking draft picks off them, they should have removed their name from the history books. That's what every other sport does when the participant has been found cheating!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

No pressure on me...I've had 18 rounds straight to get used to it :) ...only thing is, I don't want the Hawks to beat us this week....or the Bombers...or ummm North Melbourne....or actually Melbourne. Nah....I think I don't want us to lose a single game!! NOTHING! This is really going for the jugular, and as bold a statement we could EVER send to the rest of the comp! Something that no other team has EVER achieved!! :twisted:

.....just call me greedy :)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

We've won 18 - how hard is it to win another 7?

Whatever happens we are now the team to beat. We are the hunted. So be it. Proud to be a Saints supporter already.

David Parkin who knows more about coaching and football than all of us put together says, "the more you win the harder it is to lose".

Keep doing the same things Saints.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think it has become VERY OBVIOUS that we have been the HUNTED almost all season, especially since Rd 12 v Carlton. The boys would be really getting used to finals type atmosphere now and are coping with it very well.

We all need to remind ourselves that we are 18-0, and it isn't a dream !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Quality post RF. I know it's only footy, but I can't help feeling the pressure. 1971 and 1997 still hurt. At least in 1971 we weren't expected to beat the all conquering hawks of that year and in 1997 we snuck up on the competition, so there wasn't as much time for the pressure to build. This year, though, we have the list, we have the backroom staff, we have the off-field stability and we seem to be having a decent run of luck. The recipe for a "perfect storm".

All this merely conspires to make the long-suffering saints supporter a bit anxious. If we were a club that was used to success, we'd probably have called the engravers by now. I for one have everything crossed and wish the next two months would just fly by.

For those of us old enough to remember Peanuts comics, remember how every football season Lucy would hold the football for Charlie Brown so he could kick it into orbit? Every year he would run in full tilt swearing that this was the year he would finally kick the ball. Every year Lucy holds the ball still and pulls it away at the last minute, causing Charlie Brown to miss it and sending him crashing to the deck, defeated and humiliated again. For me, the saints have been like Lucy, setting us up, full of expectation, only to let us down at the last minute. Please let this year be the one where we, and Charlie Brown get the ultimate prize!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Quixote
SS Life Member

Nice one Rodger - good post.

A question was raised to Finey on SEN last night. It went something like this:

If we go through this year undefeated, and win the Premiership - will this be a Soul Cleansing act for the St Kilda Football Club?

Will it erase the scars of all the wooden spoons, will it purge the memories of the chances left wanting (1971 springs to mind), will it put to bed the terrible, laughable 80's, the pain of 1997, the Thomas/Butters debacle, the near misses of the 00's... if, this year, led by Nick Riewoldt and Ross Lyon, St Kilda becomes one of the greatest singular teams of all time - will our collective football souls be cleansed?

The answer, resounding, was YES.

Go Saints.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
markp
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote: If we go through this year undefeated, and win the Premiership - will this be a Soul Cleansing act for the St Kilda Football Club?

Will it erase the scars of all the wooden spoons, will it purge the memories of the chances left wanting (1971 springs to mind), will it put to bed the terrible, laughable 80's, the pain of 1997, the Thomas/Butters debacle, the near misses of the 00's... if, this year, led by Nick Riewoldt and Ross Lyon, St Kilda becomes one of the greatest singular teams of all time - will our collective football souls be cleansed?

Go Saints.
Hallelujah!!

It'll be the day the Saints truly go marching in.......

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

markp wrote:
Quixote wrote: If we go through this year undefeated, and win the Premiership - will this be a Soul Cleansing act for the St Kilda Football Club?...

........ if this year, led by Nick Riewoldt and Ross Lyon, St Kilda becomes one of the greatest teams of all time - will our collective football souls be cleansed?

Go Saints.
Hallelujah!!

Amen to that :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
35...LEGEND
Club Player

markp wrote:
Quixote wrote: If we go through this year undefeated, and win the Premiership - will this be a Soul Cleansing act for the St Kilda Football Club?

Go Saints.
Hallelujah!!

OOOOHH...... SHIVER'S and GOOSE BUMP'S

mick13
Club Player

That's it kids. The shittest team by an absolute mile becoming the best ever side and doing what no team has done before.

Fk oath I think a few teams would take 20 spoons to see an undefeated season.

To be honest though, as long as we win 3 finals, I'm not too concerned about losing one between now and then.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I've very few doubts the players are now aiming for the prefect season.

What a ride!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I liked Robert Walls comment when he was asked how would he feel going into a Grand Final undefeated.

His response was one word "CONFIDENT!"

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

[quote="InkerSaint"]MODS!

:wink: :lol: :lol: a good post aii the same....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
santazzi
Club Player

In a round about way, I think rogerfox is trying to let us know that he has let his "LID OFF"................Right?

Quixote
SS Life Member

Right.

Let the cleanse begin.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo