Luke Ball and 1st rnd Selection for Kerr?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

mick13 wrote:Kerr would dominate in our side.

He's got no one to help him at WC. Look at Embley...

With Dal, Hayes, Montagna and Goddard helping out Kerr would be back to his 06 form in no time...

But no chance will we trade Ball and our first round pick for him.
I agree with this post. Kerr would and has proved to be a dominant player, but needs help, and cops a heavy tag. In a rich midfield like the eagles of 05', or our current set up, he would be sensational.

I honestly think that he is quite comfortably a better player than Bally at the moment.

No chance of Ball being traded, he is a valuable member of our team and a required player.

Carpe Diem
matrix
Saintsational Legend

unreal
kerr would be good in most sides for ffs...thats obvious

the body is farked thou
what the flipping heck do we need him for?

ball for kerr

:lol:
good god.....

<< hears the muppet theme some somewhere in the distance

westy
Club Player

Kerr is a hack with major fitness and anger management shortcomings. If anybody uses screw-in studs, maybe we could use a boot-studder! But not at the expense of Luke Ball

I'm livin' in a madhouse
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Kerr is 26 and at the same stage of his career as our core guns.
Has struggled with injury issues this year, but he's not the only one to have injury issues at this point of his career. IMO he's still a quality player.
Having said that I can't stand the little prick. Apart from being a dirty little scumbag, he's seriously up himself.
Wouldn't touch him for Bally.
Nice to see the WA media excelling itself again. After that story on 7 news they segued into a backhanded slap to the Saints because of this week's selections. Fair dinkum - the most one eyed parochial narrow minded fishbowl of them all = Perth.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Poor old Bally...

He seems to be of so little use to the club now we can freely discuss getting rid of him without the stkilda insiders on this forum coming down on people like a tonne of bricks.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Poor old Bally...

He seems to be of so little use to the club now we can freely discuss getting rid of him without the stkilda insiders on this forum coming down on people like a tonne of bricks.
I think that plenty of people, myself included, rate Bally highly and place great value on his in and under grunt. Will be a Saints regular for years to come.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not saying I'd trade Bally and our first draft pick for him, but Kerr is an absolute "gun" when fit and firing. One of the very best in the league. Something Ross Lyon would be very well aware of, given he was Sydney's midfield coach (from memory) against West Coast, in two grand finals. He would know full well what Kerr would bring to the table.
I understand why many are saying they wouldn't take him, because of his current injuries, etc, but the same could easily have been said (and I'm sure was, by possibly the same folks) about Michael Gardiner, when him coming to our club was first suggested (or even as recently as last year). "Past it, injury prone, off field issues", etc. And we almost certainly wouldn't be as dominant as we are now without him. Imagine our side now without him!
Kerr getting out of Perth may be the best thing he could do, as it looks to have been for Gardi and Cousins. We could give him time to get his body right and then have 4-5 years of killer footy from him. Look how well Farren Ray, Zac Dawson, Gardi, Schneider, and Kingy have done in our system. Kerr could thrive just as much, if not more. He could be the difference between us winning another flag, or two, or not. His speed, strength and disposal would be brilliant. Who would stop all of Kerr, Dal, Goddard, Joey, Hayes, Gram and Ray?
On the flip side, we have Armo (especially) and Jack Steven, who look capable of giving us something similar to Bally in the packs in future. Saturday showed Armo can do it now. It's hard to see us having room for Armo and Ball in the same side and if Armo doesn't a regular game, we could easily lose him to the Gold Coast, for very little. And he was our top 10 draft pick, in the "super draft"/"best draft ever" and now appears ready to do the business.
As for trading our first round draft pick, as I said, I'm not saying I'd do any of this (or that I wouldn't), but our first round pick will hopefully be about pick 18, in what is widely regarded as one of the weakest drafts in years. So it's not like we'd be giving up pick 6 in a strong draft. Word is that quite a few clubs may be willing to trade their first round draft pick, as there is apparently so little depth.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 11 Aug 2009 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yes thanks...

i love Luke BALL but his groin problems have cruelled his playing career and I doubt he will ever improve on his current output. KERR's break away speed would provide us with an unbeatable midfield - I would make the trade without hesitation...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Joffa 5
Club Player

Watching Ball at the leadership lunch on OWAT last night, I was thinking about this rumour. Would the club ever seriously look at trading one of the leadership group? I would have thought if you are in the leadership group, you could safely assume your place at the club was assured.

steph
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Obviously crap but anyone who thinks thats a poor deal really doesnt understand the game. Will never happen though.
agree 100%.

i think many on here think the best 40 players in the afl all happen to wear saints jumpers.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

These days I see Ball much in the same mould as Sydney's Brett Kirk.

Kirk's one of my favourite players outside St Kilda. Whilst not the most skilful he's one of the top two or three captains in the comp and personifies the term "spiritual leader".

Yes, Ball has been ravaged with injuries and will most probably never become the player we all hoped he would be but footballers like him are a vital cog to every successful side.

There aren't many footballers who can do what Kerr does, but there aren't many who are prepared to do some of the things Bally does either.

philip
Club Player

am i the only one who thinks giving the OP / report credence is embarrassingly pathetic and speaks very poorly for all of us.

Facts:
- we are first by a country mile
- there are only a handful of games to win the premiership
- trade week is at least 7 - 8 weeks away

c'mon everyone, a little pride in our club at the moment and self respect in our postings would ensure we DO NOT comment on this type of post while our season is alive.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Hear hear.

OP in poor taste.

And with the state of the next 5 years' drafts... I will run around St. Kilda naked if they trade off a first round pick.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
vacuous space
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:And with the state of the next 5 years' drafts... I will run around St. Kilda naked if they trade off a first round pick.
I think the rumour out of the west is a little ignorant of what the Saints are actually doing. First, I don't think we want to get rid of Bally any more than we did Dal and Milne last year when they were dropped. Second, we're unlikely to get another top-20 pick for at least two years. Kerr doesn't put us over the top. We're 19-0. We need to look after the future as well as the present. This trade makes no sense for us. It will not happen.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:
And with the state of the next 5 years' drafts... I will run around St. Kilda naked if they trade off a first round pick.
The next 5 years' drafts may be compromised, but I don't think we need to keep our first round pick this year, at all costs, by any means. Especially if it's as weak a draft as it supposedly is. I reckon we have as good a batch of young guys as we've had for years, at the moment and we don't have too many that are near "retirement age".
I'm very optimistic about the prospects of Big Mac, Armitage, Geary, Tom Lynch, Rhys Stanley, Jack Steven, Nick Heyne, Tom Simpkin, Alistair Smith and Tungatalum (and to a lesser extent Robert Eddy, Jarryd Allen and Steven Gaertner), so we have a heap of young talent there. I'd rather quality over quantity.
Making quality trades may be the best way to improve your list over the next 5 years. If Kerr's name is on the table, I reckon I'd be making offers.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Batnoe

Well who could we get just with our First rounder?

Would a first rounder and a lesser light get Kerr?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Unforgiven wrote:
mick13 wrote:Kerr would dominate in our side.

He's got no one to help him at WC. Look at Embley...

With Dal, Hayes, Montagna and Goddard helping out Kerr would be back to his 06 form in no time...

But no chance will we trade Ball and our first round pick for him.
I agree with this post. Kerr would and has proved to be a dominant player, but needs help, and cops a heavy tag. In a rich midfield like the eagles of 05', or our current set up, he would be sensational.

I honestly think that he is quite comfortably a better player than Bally at the moment.

No chance of Ball being traded, he is a valuable member of our team and a required player.
Agree completely. Ironic that some posters are saying that Kerr's body is letting him down and he's now a hack - therefore we should hang on to Ball, whose body is in pristine condition??

Love Luke Ball, but Kerr is simply a better footballer. He's faster and more dynamic than Ball and he has better skills. If that deal was on the table and we had until tomorrow to decide, I'd take it now.

Hopefully at season's end, I'd reject it though, as Ball will return to the dynamic form of the mid 2000's.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ross dropped Dal and Milne, and look at the results. At least give Luke a little time to better himself. Luke is also a leader of the club, which given our current culture is not something to be brushed aside lightly.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
The next 5 years' drafts may be compromised, but I don't think we need to keep our first round pick this year, at all costs, by any means. Especially if it's as weak a draft as it supposedly is. I reckon we have as good a batch of young guys as we've had for years, at the moment and we don't have too many that are near "retirement age".
A dozen players on St. Kilda's list are aged 25-26. Part of the knock-on effect of this is that the 20-year olds struggle to get AFL experience. I'd rather David Armitage get a game than Daniel Kerr. I know which type we have a shortage of.

We're in a good position until about 2014. Then we're in real trouble.

Planning for the future is firstly about covering positions. Secondly about keeping a balance of youth and experience. The recruiting department has managed the first priority well enough that we have a record-breaking team. They now have the luxury of focusing on the second priority.

We absolutely need to make the most of whatever opportunities we have to stock up on youth. We don't need lots of them. But we need an even distribution of player ages.

Why trade away the future to get more of what we already have?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Ross dropped Dal and Milne, and look at the results. At least give Luke a little time to better himself. Luke is also a leader of the club, which given our current culture is not something to be brushed aside lightly.
Agree with all of that. Which is why I'm saying at the end of the year I hope my opinion will be changed. Also agree that he is an outstanding leader and person to have in charge/leader of a young group of blokes. I know it sounds biased, but when you look at Rooy, Lenny and Bally, 3 better blokes you couldn't have to be in charge/lead a footy team.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

No way the club would even be looking at this deal.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Ball and 1st rnd Selection for Kerr?

Winmarvellous wrote:Just reported on ch 7 over here Saints have put this on the table to West Coast.

crap......actually they have taken it from big footy.....but it's still crap.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

luke ball plays for the team, daniel kerr plays for himself

if daniel kerr got 1/2 the belts Ball gets, he would be permanently suspended...no wait :roll:

you can look through the lists of every football club and find a few players of talent that would slot into the st kilda side on talent.

then how many of them would play the team game.

Look at how supposed 'rubbish' players and 'trade bait' as listed by fans here over the years are excelling.

we have moved from a team of champions to 'potentially' a champion team.

Ball didn't ponce around on saturday evening, he wacked 10 odd crunching tackles, put his head over the ball and copped the wacks, and stood tall.

give me a luke ball who makes himself available 24/7 to a daniel kerr who spends 1/3 of the season suspended because he can't control his anger.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:am i the only one who thinks giving the OP / report credence is embarrassingly pathetic and speaks very poorly for all of us.

Facts:
- we are first by a country mile
- there are only a handful of games to win the premiership
- trade week is at least 7 - 8 weeks away

c'mon everyone, a little pride in our club at the moment and self respect in our postings would ensure we DO NOT comment on this type of post while our season is alive.

philip

the op should be ashamed of himself putting such crap on the forum...anybody who seriously thinks that the saints brain trust would be entertaining trading one of its former captains and actively shopping him around 3 weeks before the most important finals series for the club this century has got to be f***ed in the head.......

and the first time i accept anything published in perth as truth you can put me in the ground ffs.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Red
Club Player

It doesn't matter who the player is, if you can do a trade that improves a

side than you do it. It's not about an individual but about the team.

There is a reason why some sides continue to win premierships and others

don't.