Raph ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Young Georgie
Club Player

More senseless Raph sniping on the radio this morning. After some good calls lambasting the journos for writing the Saints off so soon, some 'fan' from Ballarat rang to say how great the Saints were then immediately singled out Raph to be dropped.

King's turnover was costly at a crucial time and could have let them back in while others as documented here made errors but oh no, bring out the cane and give old Raph a whack - gutless!

Thankfully Raph got plenty of support from texters and callers.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Struggled early and looked lost when the pressure was on. His first three plays indirectly resulted in the Pies winning the ball.

Got better when our prime movers got on top. Did ok when up forward but we're already well-stocked with attacking players.

I don't know why our fans are so protective of him at this stage of the year. I couldn't care less if we have 22 Raph Clarke's out there winning us a flag, but it won't happen. He had a fine finals series last year but this year is different, especially with clubs applying excessive frontal pressure.

Much prefer Hudghton or, at the very least, Dempster.

It's all about having the best 22, particularly in terms of balance.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Peanut
Club Player

Racism or Eating your own? - the people behind me seemed to be only watching Raph and yelling out every time they thought he was off his man or didn't do anything good they yelled out to get him off the ground (silence when good).

I watched Raph after the match - when the players were waving to the fans - Ralph held back behind them in what appeared to me in a timid manner, and who wouldn't, when you are trying your best and our ferrel fans bagging him loudly.

It wasn't Raphs best game but I didn't hear the same people bagging anyone else when they made a booboo.

sometimes I am embarrassed to be a Saints supporter.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Raph looked much better up forward today. I think that might be a solution in regards to his role. He and Gwilt offer something a bit different, and right now Raph is in possession of the place in the side. Raph certainly ran off Prestigiacomo and made him look the slow and ordinary player he is. I think Raph is much better off leading into space. He seems to get a bit lost down back at times and his decision-making leaves a bit to be desired. May have found a niche today though. In any event, I doubt RL and crew will change a winning formula unless they're forced to.
certainly wasn't the best game i've seen from him and he did make a few blunders, but also did okay when moved forward.

aerially he's a bit of a surprise actually.

it's possibly something we should have trialled during the home and away season as he might offer more as a half forward than eddy, for example.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would love to know that of the errors Raph makes, what percentage are on the 1/4 as opposed to the rest of the match

Raph has always had trouble adapting to the speed of the game, people call it bad decision making but he just takes a while to click into gear.

We've seen it a few times this year, poor 1st half, excellent second... game Vs Melb in the GC is a good example.

Maybe it would work better to start him up forward/midfield???

If he could just eliminate the slow start to his game, he'd be awesome.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think Raph also suffers from "Mark Waugh" syndrome. That is he looks a lot more casual than he is. Raph is surprisingly quick across the ground, but his loping gait makes it look at times that he is going less than 100%. He was a super athlete as a kid when he was drafted, and at times we've glimpsed that natural athletic ability.

I think he could be a wild card in the forward line, where he could have a real crack without fearing the repercussions that mistakes in the back half invariably bring. He was a star as a forward/on baller as a junior and as I mentioned in my other post, he did look a lot more comfortable up forward yesterday. What do the rest think? Raph to the forward line!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Raph to the forward line... maybe, as we need a few more goals from the HFF..can't just rely on Roo slotting 5 and the defence to keep the score low at the other end..more sausage roll output from Milne and Schneider is definately required in the prelim as they are little off the boil. Raph could do a stint on the HF flank I reckon.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i just watched the replay
the bloke is in my 22

go rapher 8-)
love watching you when u realise theres a gap thru the contest and put the foot down

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Raph to the forward line... maybe, as we need a few more goals from the HFF.. Raph could do a stint on the HF flank I reckon.
He looked dangerous down there in the last Q. If only he slotted that chance !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

claystreet
Club Player

Move Raph forward opens a spot for Max so who goes out for Raph?

busso mick
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I think Raph also suffers from "Mark Waugh" syndrome. That is he looks a lot more casual than he is. Raph is surprisingly quick across the ground, but his loping gait makes it look at times that he is going less than 100%. He was a super athlete as a kid when he was drafted, and at times we've glimpsed that natural athletic ability.

I think he could be a wild card in the forward line, where he could have a real crack without fearing the repercussions that mistakes in the back half invariably bring. He was a star as a forward/on baller as a junior and as I mentioned in my other post, he did look a lot more comfortable up forward yesterday. What do the rest think? Raph to the forward line!
I'm with you WhiteWinmar, he has a naturally creative side to his game that can make opportunities for others. In the back half this can be seen as dangerous and sometimes result in turnovers. In the forward half it could be result in a scoring chance for him or other players. With his defensive experience it can also be useful in applying our famed forward pressure. His height and reach can also be useful in providing a target/contest in forward thrusts, where Roo and Kosi are covered. I think it well worth consideration, the trick will be to get the balance in defence right with his movement forward.

jay young
Club Player

he was ok but hey it was the worst game of the weekend all those possesions for 12 goals, man adel geel bris would of belted us in the first quarter MAX SHOULD PLAY blake or dawson out

jay young
Club Player

actually S king should be made way for mcevoy next game

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:actually S king should be made way for mcevoy next game
You really do not have any idea about footy do you.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:he was ok but hey it was the worst game of the weekend all those possesions for 12 goals, man adel geel bris would of belted us in the first quarter MAX SHOULD PLAY blake or dawson out
Absolutelt NFI

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
jay young wrote:he was ok but hey it was the worst game of the weekend all those possesions for 12 goals, man adel geel bris would of belted us in the first quarter MAX SHOULD PLAY blake or dawson out
Absolutelt NFI
+1

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Young Georgie
Club Player

Isn't it time to put this monotonous debate to rest? Its destructive and devisive, nothing more.

Obviously it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks of Raph's performance as the coaches will chose who they see fit to play the role required no matter what.

The guy has shown some form and clearly can play. If I remember correctly he guarded his space well, he presented, he hit the packs, he got the ball, he kicked well, his handball in front of Roo for that blinder of a goal in the last was first class. He's not gonna set the world alight, he's in our bottom 6, what do you expect? He will improve.

There are others in that line-up like Blakey who copped it for ages but now no-one seems to can him though he makes errors still.

In the first half yesterday there were quite a few players who were average or less and quite a few who made errors, some more critical than others. We didn't kick a goal for 30 minutes!

Many of these guys went with the momentum and lifted in the last part of the 2nd and then the 2nd half.

We're 2 wins away from a premiership, the team is winning - there are individuals who aren't perfect doing the team thing and the team is winning - so RL true to form will not make unforced changes.

Get behind the team and give the team your full support. No matter what you think you'd reckon Raph's going to be there (back or forward he can do both which is a handy option to have) so no point publicly bagging him after every game and giving opposition supporters any satisfaction. The club deserves better, the team deserves better, Raph deserves better.

Graceful, elusive, strong overhead and no Easybeat!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we sat in m6....my poor missus sat next to a feral foul mouthed dipstick of a supporter...he swore through the whole of the match.....called raph for to be taken off all day......unfortunately i didn't hear his repeated abusive foul language or i would have had him tossed out......creep....

..who sits next to a woman and uses the foulest of language..???.only a mongrel dog imhfo... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

...my missus didn't tell me until we had left to avoid te scene that would have followed if i had known.......i am sick to death of the ignorant know nothing f-wits who bag raph every week...so too is kevin bartlett by the sound of it...reckons saints supporters have it in for raph......not all of us mate...not all of us......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Racism or Eating your own? - the people behind me seemed to be only watching Raph and yelling out every time they thought he was off his man or didn't do anything good they yelled out to get him off the ground (silence when good).

I watched Raph after the match - when the players were waving to the fans - Ralph held back behind them in what appeared to me in a timid manner, and who wouldn't, when you are trying your best and our ferrel fans bagging him loudly.

It wasn't Raphs best game but I didn't hear the same people bagging anyone else when they made a booboo.

sometimes I am embarrassed to be a Saints supporter.
they give me the s***s big time..

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
widereceiver wrote:I am mightily sick of the semi-racist taunts towards Raph, my family and I hear at the footy from some of our own fans. What a shower, convert to some other racist club!

First, I know Raph made a few more clangers today - he is not my favourite player, but as others have noted, he improved as the day went on.

I had to remind one guy today of the club's motto, he and others seem to have forgotten it or otherwise I wouldn't think they would call him a boong or a coon when something he tries to do doesn't come off.

(Interestingly, they don't use those words when he does something good).
Strength though loyalty.
And i am sick of posts that suggest racist comments. raph wasnt good today but in my opinion Eddy and Bally were also poor. They are white Raph isnt. What is the issue.

you really have no idea do you.???...ball poor...???ffs......he had 16 possessions in less than half a game of football.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

...and for the record...

i have done more than suggest racist comments have been directed at raph by saints supporters......i have stated that i have heard them myself....

JohnE
Club Player

Let's not worry about it people!! Every premiership team in history has had a couple of passengers!! Personally I'd prefer Gwilt in for Raph, at least Gwilt can kick a goal.

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
widereceiver wrote:I am mightily sick of the semi-racist taunts towards Raph, my family and I hear at the footy from some of our own fans. What a shower, convert to some other racist club!

First, I know Raph made a few more clangers today - he is not my favourite player, but as others have noted, he improved as the day went on.

I had to remind one guy today of the club's motto, he and others seem to have forgotten it or otherwise I wouldn't think they would call him a boong or a coon when something he tries to do doesn't come off.

Strength though loyalty.
And i am sick of posts that suggest racist comments. raph wasnt good today but in my opinion Eddy and Bally were also poor. They are white Raph isnt. What is the issue.

you really have no idea do you.???...ball poor...???ffs......he had 16 possessions in less than half a game of football.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

...and for the record...

i have done more than suggest racist comments have been directed at raph by saints supporters......i have stated that i have heard them myself....
Sorry i have an opinion. I thought his kicking was ordinary at best. Stats mean nothing. Try watching the game in between cleaning jobs to get an idea.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Strength though loyalty.

...and for the record...

Sorry i have an opinion. I thought his kicking was ordinary at best. Stats mean nothing. Try watching the game in between cleaning jobs to get an idea.
Why didn't you respond when I bolded the fact that widereceiver said that Saints fans were calling Raph a coon and a boong?

It is above quoted in his post. Why did you not read what he wrote before you said you were sick of posts suggesting racism.

He didn't suggest it. He stated it as fact.

Does this not occur if you dont hear it?

And if this is true are people like widereceiver and stinger liars?

If they state they have heard Raph being racially abused why dont you believe them?

there must be a reason why you dont think some (not all but some) Saints fans are critical of Raph because he is an aboriginal.

It has been categrocially stated by two posters here.

Please have the courage to reply. It was poor form to infer that widereceiver is a liar.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

opinions are like arseholes ...every one has one....some stink more than others is all......you should follow your own advise and really look at the game again..... :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Strength though loyalty.

...and for the record...

Why didn't you respond when I bolded the fact that widereceiver said that Saints fans were calling Raph a coon and a boong?

It is above quoted in his post. Why did you not read what he wrote before you said you were sick of posts suggesting racism.

He didn't suggest it. He stated it as fact.

Does this not occur if you dont hear it?

And if this is true are people like widereceiver and stinger liars?

If they state they have heard Raph being racially abused why dont you believe them?

there must be a reason why you dont think some (not all but some) Saints fans are critical of Raph because he is an aboriginal.

It has been categrocially stated by two posters here.

Please have the courage to reply. It was poor form to infer that widereceiver is a liar.
I missed it in the post. Sorry for that. I had a few drinks. i still say 99% of people who have a go at Raph do it because they just dont rate him as a footballer and are not being racist. Sorry that i believe that most people wouldnt be racist to a footballer these days.