Do they actually understand what is going on?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Owen wrote:We had the spark .. the mojo .. for about 50% of the game on Sunday .. but that 50% was when it counted and the boys knew when to turn it on.

The first quarter & half we were stuck in 1st gear .. then BJ's bump on the Show Pony sparked em .. and we didnt lose the mojo till Kingy's stupid giveaway in the third .. would have buried em by 3 qtr time otherwise ..

4th .. turned it on once again to seal the game - then switched off to conserve when it was over ..

So no we didnt smash em .. and we were far from flawless, but we turned it on when it counted .. and I'm full of confidence they will switch it up another gear for longer in the Prelim .. and then absolutely full-tilt smash em up Rd.15 style in the GF ..
I like it, totally agree and hope that's exactly how the rest of the season pans out.

Fans don't get it, they're the ones who don't understand possession and the intensity we play. Opposition teams know if they don't flood then we have the firepower to blow them away. Fortunately we're smart enough now not to blast the ball into our forwards and are patient enough now to move it around until an opening appears and Kosi and Roo have the advantage or will at least draw even in a contest meaning the ball is in a very dangerous area.

Teams can't afford to roll the dice too often against us, maybe once or twice a game they might get in behind us but we are well drilled and adjust to these tactics, meaning opposition who run forward will look very silly once the ball is turned over under pressure.

Very happy to win every remaining final by 5 goals.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote:
Owen wrote:We had the spark .. the mojo .. for about 50% of the game on Sunday .. but that 50% was when it counted and the boys knew when to turn it on.

The first quarter & half we were stuck in 1st gear .. then BJ's bump on the Show Pony sparked em .. and we didnt lose the mojo till Kingy's stupid giveaway in the third .. would have buried em by 3 qtr time otherwise ..

4th .. turned it on once again to seal the game - then switched off to conserve when it was over ..

So no we didnt smash em .. and we were far from flawless, but we turned it on when it counted .. and I'm full of confidence they will switch it up another gear for longer in the Prelim .. and then absolutely full-tilt smash em up Rd.15 style in the GF ..
I like it, totally agree and hope that's exactly how the rest of the season pans out.

Fans don't get it, they're the ones who don't understand possession and the intensity we play. Opposition teams know if they don't flood then we have the firepower to blow them away. Fortunately we're smart enough now not to blast the ball into our forwards and are patient enough now to move it around until an opening appears and Kosi and Roo have the advantage or will at least draw even in a contest meaning the ball is in a very dangerous area.

Teams can't afford to roll the dice too often against us, maybe once or twice a game they might get in behind us but we are well drilled and adjust to these tactics, meaning opposition who run forward will look very silly once the ball is turned over under pressure.

Very happy to win every remaining final by 5 goals.
After watching the replay (gotta love IQ!) I thought we had control of the game for a very large majority of it but were just a little off in our composure entering F50 and were a bit structurally off when the Filth switched play.

After quarter time Ross made a few tactical adjustments & we pretty much dominated after that, save for a few fast break goals when the Filth managed to break away from the zone (Kingy's turnover being one as our guys were committed to a F50 entry).

I think Yapper, Schneider and Mini played a bit too far up the ground & weren't at the feet of Kosi often enough to be as dangerous as they can be. Mini & Schneider were fantastic in other areas but a few 'crumming' goals would have been nice.

We have become very skilled at sharing the ball around & being patient, especially when an opposition has 18 blokes in our F50 & in the past we would have kicked it to a contest.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

still think there is not enough midfield goals happening. and against collingwood we had none.

Joffa 5
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think Yapper, Schneider and Mini played a bit too far up the ground & weren't at the feet of Kosi often enough to be as dangerous as they can be. Mini & Schneider were fantastic in other areas but a few 'crumming' goals would have been nice.
I agree with this. I could only watch on TV from interstate so couldn't see what was not in shot but so many times our small forwards were nowhere to be seen when the ball came to ground. There must of been 3 or 4 goals we could of got this way.

But if the boys were adding to the centre pressure on the collingwood midfield then I can live with it!

aussiejones
Club Player

The point is we didnt NEED to smash the Pies ! Nice though it may have been.

"4th .. turned it on once again to seal the game - then switched off to conserve when it was over ..

So no we didnt smash em .. and we were far from flawless, but we turned it on when it counted .. and I'm full of confidence they will switch it up another gear for longer in the Prelim .. and then absolutely full-tilt smash em up Rd.15 style in the GF .."

Its a new season now with the 26th of Sept our goal.

Each game we need to win and keep uninjured rather than limp into a GF with a depleted or tired side. We need a fit and firing settled side to win the big one . Along the way we need just to win in reality.

I was slightly concerned on Sunday till I reassured myself the game is in the bag and we can turn it on if needed.

Apart from winning on Sunday what we needed was to get a good run into the boys.

I am sure the Cats are priming themselves to be just right for the GF. Getting their team back in shape , enjoying the media hype being focussed on Adelaide , Bulldogs and Bris.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Do they actually understand what is going on?????

Finna wrote:I saw a guy today wearing a Saints jumper (not often you would see this in the gold coast) and immediately went up to him to talk about our great win yesterday.

He went on to tell me how crap we were, that we couldn't play outdoors and that we were in BIG trouble. We were s*** yesterday and lucky to win 'cause the pies played even worse than us.

I was shocked......unfortunately though, not all that surprised.

Reading a few of the posters on this forum I am convinced that some people just dont get it.

Are some people not 'smart' enough to fully understand what our Mighty Saints are doing to opposition teams. We are awesome....in fact so good that teams do look 'crap' against us.

I love watching us play, I reckon we are simply incredible.

I have always liked hard contested - sometimes lower scoring - games as compared to end to end shootouts and just reckon our style is simply phenomenal.

My question is.....Are many of our fans (and some footy fans in general) simply not able to 'get' the way we go about it and are they unable to realise how wonderful our TEAM is because they want to see the flashy moves and lots of goals - something we can also do - this was very much our game plan under GT.

It seems really clear to me how and why we are soooo good and as I said earlier I simply love the way we play. After all 21 wins from 23 games really speaks volumes you'd think.

What do you think? Do some of our supporters simply not 'get it' ?????

Thoughts.
Absolutely correct. They don't get it. I was actually surprised that I didn't hear any booing at a couple of points in the game where they were chipping it around in the back line before they went on the attack. Maybe they are starting to get it.......??

Fortius Quo Fidelius
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:unlucky......
someone who wasn't able to get our players playing at their 'best' consistantly.
Surely now, you can admit that I was 100% correct on this point?

Geezer
Club Player

i dont get the whole "stop going backwards and mucking around with it" that i hear from our supporters constantly.

supporters should realise we are a possession side. and as great coaches say . . .if you have control of it. . .then the opposition doesnt and cant hurt u with it.

few times on sunday we moved forward with the ball only to see collingwood flood and zone the forward line. if u watched footy classified and saw garry lyon explain us breaking down the collingwood rollling zone to find some room for roo to lead u would understand the possession game.
twice we crossed back and forward from flank to flank to create some space and movement . .and with multiple leads from forwards we found an avenue to score.
if we had of bombed it it. . .most likely it would come straight back out with little or no pressure.

us having the ball 60% of the time . . and it being in dispute 15% of the time. . only allows the opposition 25% of the time to manufacture a score or pressure on us.

its not the most attractive style of footy. . .but hell. . .we have won 21 games out of 23 employing this tactic.
we can still score heavily. . .but in this day and age of "statistical football" its the way to play until someone else creates another method.

i feel for the teams like adelaide bulldogs (who only have one style of game)

gone are the days of 12 goal thumpings. . .unless teams just completly capitulate against us.
and i dont care how we win a flag. . .as long as we win it

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
grogan

people still boo when we chip sideways while in attack. one thing this allows is for us to maintain our structure if the ball comes back at us, hence teams dont score much against us. finals footy........

aussiejones
Club Player

" i dont care how we win a flag. . "

When RL started he had an 'unpopular' style , now it has this year evolved and it works. Remember chiplotto that was in our transition of game style period. Our current diciplined style is so different from our past style , it isnt as flashy or entertaining but it gets results. Remember the time when we had no plan B , well I am confident we have now.

I am confident RL has at last got the message and the dicipline through the heads of our guys.

Combined with the above is fitness and ability to run out the game .

Both of the above we displayed on Sunday.

IMO we are well on the way back to our top form.

Milton66
SS Life Member

aussiejones wrote:" i dont care how we win a flag. . "

When RL started he had an 'unpopular' style , now it has this year evolved and it works. Remember chiplotto that was in our transition of game style period. Our current diciplined style is so different from our past style , it isnt as flashy or entertaining but it gets results. Remember the time when we had no plan B , well I am confident we have now.

I am confident RL has at last got the message and the dicipline through the heads of our guys.

+1

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Geezer
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:" i dont care how we win a flag. . "

so unpopular that teams are falling over backwards to try and copy it. :)
but u have to have the mindset and the cattle to physically adopt the strategy. u cant do it overnight. and after adelaide tried to change their gameplan mid season i was and still am sceptical.

their style works against weak teams but as results show. . . not top teams . . same with the dogs . .(they both cant win a flag playing the style they play)

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:unlucky......
someone who wasn't able to get our players playing at their 'best' consistantly.
Surely now, you can admit that I was 100% correct on this point?
Ah, a classic example of the definition of 'desperatoin'.

Selectively quoting so as to make someone else's quote seem like they agree with your nonsensical position on something.
Also known as 'rodgerfox/violentstool' syndrome.

The only thing I can agree with you on is that IMO you are, without doubt, the biggest Master Baiter currently on here.

You're so sad you need to ensure that those who wish to enjoy the Club's success so far this year aren't allowed to.

You are without doubt a 'miserable piece of shyte' masquerading as an imaginery internet personna.

farquhar
Club Player

If we win the grand final by a point, would that mean we played badly. Finals are about winning ugly. You just have to win.

Some people have no idea about football. We should all be sitting back and enjoying Riewoldt at his peak.

Time for goal-kicking practice
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

We won the 1966 GF
Geelong won the 2007 GF
Hawthorn won the 1989 GF

Does the margin matter?

If you took the percentage from our win it is 153.84% which is only a fraction lower than one team in the home and away season. US!!!!!!!
Last edited by Milan Faletic on Tue 08 Sep 2009 10:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

As far back as about round 6 teams have been throwing everything at us in the first quarter. We weather it, cop it and then counter attack once the tempo has settled. The longer the game goes, the more in control we get. By the end of the match the opposition is stuffed.
Luck my backside. Funny how we've been lucky 21 times this year.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Maybe all the people around me "got it"...but there was virtually no grumbling at all when we played temp footy.

I reckon most people do know that finals are different. Not only were turning up not knowing if we were gonna win, surely most sensible fans understood that % didnt matter, the win was all that did.

Around me the last 5-6 minutes of "icing the clock" was spent singing the song, chanting, waving pies fans goodbye, and rabidly applauding and cheering every player as he came off on Interchange (right next to us)

Was almost nice to not have the game distract from this for a few minutes ;p-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
thecroc
Club Player

Ghost Like - thanks for the summary - I like how you explained their style of play - will 'cut them some slack' from now on

cheers