Saints players LIVID with Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I think Ball has made a massive mistake, and for whatever reason he made it, it's going to cost him heavily. I think his manager has taken advantage of a player who's had a tough year and grabbed him during a highly emotional time. Had all of this happened a month after the GF it probably would never have happened. I'm still surprised Ball wanted/wants to leave, I'm also amazed there isn't more transperancy about why this has happened? I refuse to believe RL has been unfair to any player either.
Yep Luke Ball isnt smart enough to make up his own mind.
Did I say he was a dumbar$e?? And obviously you understand the pressures that have been placed on Ball?? Please enlighten me so that I can have a better understanding.

I have a feeling Bally wouldnt take notice of anyone but himself and family unless you think a manager would make him do something he didnt want to really do.
But that's what I'm suspecting. It doesn't make it the right choice and I'm not trying to justify it. I'd love to know more of what's going on, because simply put I just find it extraordinary that a player of Balls calibre could ever find himself in this position. I'm more than willing to accept a heart-felt apology from him! I won't be banging any nails into his crucifix! Dearly love him to stay!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic, the LB side of the fence has done little to cover itself in any glory. It's only reasonable that people speculate in circs where the facts of the matter are damning.

Like I said, other than some kneejerk stuff on day one (myself included, I concede) I reckon people on the whole are fairly pragmatic about it. If he wants to go, he should go. If he wants to stay, he'd better improve. And if he wants to put himself in the lap of the PSD gods, well, christ help him.

But that said, I don't begrudge any fan of SKFC their chance to react emotively to what went down.

The whole thing was pretty s*** from whoa to go.

If I was LB's PR dude, I would be taking a leaf out of X's book and making some kind of statement. Nut one out with RL if need be. Anything is better than nothing. Nothing just makes him seem like a selfish mercenary. He's probably not, of course. He's probably nothing more than a willing participant in a game that went horribly wrong.

Still, a simple: Look, I wasn't getting game time; the coaching staff told me why; I went away and did my best; I love the club but I reckon my furture's elsewhere...' OR 'This was all really more complicated than people realise, I love the club, and I want to see if we can stitch a deal together.' or whatever.

I mean surely that's better than coming across a complete wally who's either really naive, really full of himself, or an absolute puppet of his manager?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fair points thinline

Quixote
SS Life Member

I think it's a very good point that the players would be angry with another player who, in the most important week of their footballing lives, knew he was going somewhere else.

For this team, that is as close to unforgiveable as it gets, I'd say.

Question:

Would this all be happening if we had WON the Grand Final?

And if your answer is NO - what does that say about Luke Ball's mode of operation, and his willingness for our 2010 campaign?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Moods
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Thinline
Like I said, other than some kneejerk stuff on day one (myself included, I concede) I reckon people on the whole are fairly pragmatic about it. If he wants to go, he should go. If he wants to stay, he'd better improve. And if he wants to put himself in the lap of the PSD gods, well, christ help him.
[quote]

THat sums it up for me.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:I think Ball has made a massive mistake, and for whatever reason he made it, it's going to cost him heavily. I think his manager has taken advantage of a player who's had a tough year and grabbed him during a highly emotional time. Had all of this happened a month after the GF it probably would never have happened. I'm still surprised Ball wanted/wants to leave, I'm also amazed there isn't more transperancy about why this has happened? I refuse to believe RL has been unfair to any player either.
Did I say he was a dumbar$e?? And obviously you understand the pressures that have been placed on Ball?? Please enlighten me so that I can have a better understanding.

I have a feeling Bally wouldnt take notice of anyone but himself and family unless you think a manager would make him do something he didnt want to really do.
But that's what I'm suspecting. It doesn't make it the right choice and I'm not trying to justify it. I'd love to know more of what's going on, because simply put I just find it extraordinary that a player of Balls calibre could ever find himself in this position. I'm more than willing to accept a heart-felt apology from him! I won't be banging any nails into his crucifix! Dearly love him to stay!
Why is he apologising. He may think he needs to go to another club to get a game. Shame on him.

Quixote
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why is he apologising. He may think he needs to go to another club to get a game. Shame on him.
No shame on him at all for that.

But the fact that he lined up in our GF team with this knowledge is, I'd suggest, not great. Luke's commitment to the 2010 Saints campaign now seems like it's been tenuous for some time.

And - what if we had won? Would he have just accepted the ride?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

But the fact that he lined up in our GF team with this knowledge is, I'd suggest, not great. Luke's commitment to the 2010 Saints campaign now seems like it's been tenuous for some time.

Didnt seem to effect players at Melbourne Storm. Do you think it effected his performance. He had his best game for 15 weeks.

BaysideSaint
Club Player

if you're refering to the round seven collingwood game plugger i didn't think he was that amazing...
.... a handpass, one kick and a strong tackle at half time.

hardly earth-shattering stuff :roll:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Well i'd be apologizing if I'd have done a Luke Ball on both his team-mates and fans alike. It's the least he could give anyone. Maybe I'm just a mug, but there are grounds that should be made up for common decency. I'd be apologizing! Not hard to understand why IMHO

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Well i'd be apologizing if I'd have done a Luke Ball on both his team-mates and fans alike. It's the least he could give anyone. Maybe I'm just a mug, but there are grounds that should be made up for common decency. I'd be apologizing! Not hard to understand why IMHO
apologise!!!

My we're a precious bunch.

Why do you think he should be apologising

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So you reckon he should have been left out purely because he was having contract issues with the Club? Even if, with the inclement weather, RL thought him in our best 22?? For a GRAND FINAL???

Plugger has a point..plenty of NRL players sign contracts with other Clubs mid-season and play out the season with their existing clubs..often agasint the mob who will be their teammates next year

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Well i'd be apologizing if I'd have done a Luke Ball on both his team-mates and fans alike. It's the least he could give anyone. Maybe I'm just a mug, but there are grounds that should be made up for common decency. I'd be apologizing! Not hard to understand why IMHO
apologise!!!

FFS!! What are you?? Stupid?? I hope this is a sarcastic comment?? Why the friggin hell wouldn't he be apologizing??

Forget the supporters for a minute and even forget perhaps the influence of a money-hungry manager! His team-mates deserve an apology if nothing else! Seriously, you're lacking some ethics if you can't work this little matter out in your head!

If I decided to turn my back on my team-mates, for whatever reason, I'd feel as though (as the team would think) that I've let them down. You CANNOT do what Ball has done (right or wrong) to your team-mates! END OF STORY! THAT'S WHY!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:
skeptic wrote:
apologise!!!

FFS!! What are you?? Stupid?? I hope this is a sarcastic comment?? Why the friggin hell wouldn't he be apologizing??

Forget the supporters for a minute and even forget perhaps the influence of a money-hungry manager! His team-mates deserve an apology if nothing else! Seriously, you're lacking some ethics if you can't work this little matter out in your head!
Calm down mate..but..you have a point..

The senior players made a pact to stick together til a flag was won. AFAIK Luke was part of that pact along with Roo. Kosi, Lenny, Dal and perhaps others. In the players eyes he will have turned his back on that pact...so an apology will be very very VERY much in order if he does come back

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
skeptic wrote:
apologise!!!

:lol: But I am calm! :)

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I think the situation can be rectified. I truly hope it can as I still hold Ball in the highest esteem.

I'm imagining this scenario, he's been down in the dumps and had his football pushed under a microscope, he's been in a GF team that has just lost a Premiership in the last 5 minutes, his manager in his ear saying "you don't have to out up with this Bally, you're an A-Grade player, another team will show you the respect you deserve"....and guess what.....he's fallen for it.
YES, SPECULATION on my behalf, but not unimaginatively too far from potential reality. Because it's all speculative at the moment isn't it? The chances that Ball will remain a Saint is still speculation also. Nobody on here knows 100% what's happening, but I for one hope he stays. That's all. Surely I'm not being too unrealistic??? :?

jk23
Club Player

I wish it would get sorted one way or another, I had a dream about luke last night ! he knocked on my door and he decided to get a ride to the footy with me and he was in the red, white and black, also said to him go get some more brownlow votes as he was the favorite.... :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
skeptic wrote:
apologise!!!

The senior players made a pact to stick together til a flag was won. AFAIK Luke was part of that pact along with Roo. Kosi, Lenny, Dal and perhaps others. In the players eyes he will have turned his back on that pact...so an apology will be very very VERY much in order if he does come back
So do the club apologise to the players they have delisted last year and this year. They may have made a pact to stick together but if a player thinks he may struggle for a game the following year I dont think one player would be even slightly upset if they wanted to leave so they can get a game the next year. No apology necessary at all.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Its a tough one. I reckon they should ALL sit down the leadership group and just discuss all this.

When is armitage contracted for becauze i thought he was off to the GC!

We really need armo now i hope he steps up he is a great player in waiting!

Milton66
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
skeptic wrote:
apologise!!!

So do the club apologise to the players they have delisted last year and this year. They may have made a pact to stick together but if a player thinks he may struggle for a game the following year I dont think one player would be even slightly upset if they wanted to leave so they can get a game the next year. No apology necessary at all.
Are you serious? :roll:

If there are players that feel let down... and if Luke has misled them, then he should apologise.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
|Andy|
Club Player

Milton66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
skeptic wrote:
apologise!!!

If there are players that feel let down... and if Luke has misled them, then he should apologise.
LOL I love plugger66, always playing the devils' advocate. He does it so well, sometimes I actually believe that he believes what he's saying.

But I agree, Ball has some apologising to do, and work to do as well if he decides to re-sign and work his way up the pecking order.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You would think if Ross or the players had a "personal" issue with Luke, and wanted to be vindictive, Luke wouldn't have continued as a part of the leadership group until the very end of the season.

If the players are livid now, perhaps it's more about the negative publicity directed at their club....I am only surmising though.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Its a tough one. I reckon they should ALL sit down the leadership group and just discuss all this.

Armo has a year to go, then he's off to Gold Coast.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Its a tough one. I reckon they should ALL sit down the leadership group and just discuss all this.

Armo has a year to go, then he's off to Gold Coast.
not sure how sure it is, but if it is, perhaps it's a factor in why ball and armo aren't getting the game time they otherwise might. ross wants to develop players into the team game, and needs to do so with those who will be there for the future. this is balanced against the need to win the next game.
for the finals we were a better team with him in than out. as we were
during our best periods for the season.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
skeptic wrote:
apologise!!!

If the players feel let down he would apologise but i doubt one player would be let down by a player who clearly struggled to get a game wanting to leave. Does X apologise for leaving afterall he agreed to go to Brisbane and if for some reason he came back why does he have to apologise. These players are friends but they understand it is a business and if you cant do the business at your team you are entilted to leave.