Club announces small operating profit for 2009

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:For example:-
There doesn't seem to be as huge an increase in the 'Sponsorship' figure
Compared to?
Last year or the year before.

The Jeldwen deal was purportedly for 5+ million, and back-ended.

How much did we receive in years 1 and 2, and how much will we receive in year 3.

Maybe
year 1 was one million
year 2 was 1.5 million
year 3 is 2.5 million.

If so, then income has effectively been postponed to future accounting periods thereby diminishing the current year results.

One could also mount the argument that by paying our share of the Frankston Development this year we have effectively reduced this year's figures by that amount. Maybe we could have paid it last rather than first which would have had the effect of increasing this year's results?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Memebership and Reserve Seat Income was 6.6 million.
How does that conpare with teh Hawthorn figure (on 50,000+ members as against our 33,000+)?
I dont know why you are intent on mentioning Hawthorn. Essendon was less than ours with 10k more members. Hawthorn's figure makes sense with the amount of members they had. Our membership revenue may be ok but our result isnt great and cannot beleive someone said it was a sensational result. It was ok and that is it.
Because as you well know plugger, I have been maintaining that comparing 'raw membership numbers' does not give you an accurate picture.
It would seem that these figures published by the Saints add some credence to the point I was trying to make that the revenue generated by the memberships sold/given away by individual Clubs is a better way of comparing those Clubs, rather than the number of memberships sold/given away.

I also believe that the figures published are actually not a true reflection of the current financial position of the Club.

For example:-
There doesn't seem to be as huge an increase in the 'Sponsorship' figure when you take into account that we have previously been told that the Jeldwen deal is 'back-ended'. Maybe the bulk of the money for that 3 year deal will be paid this year (the last year)?
Maybe we have less sponsors than last year.
Maybe?
Then it would be nice to know if that was the case?

Or maybe they are 'dampening' the results down?
For me, It'd be interesting to know.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Pretty poor result IMO.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Pretty poor result IMO.

compared to the last 5 years it is good joffa, the club shouldn't be making millions each year, and this year we have paid half of our commitment to frankston already.

saintlee
Club Player

Its a good result. Especially considering we were expecting a loss....not a great result, but its definitely a good result

Ice Wolf
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Pretty poor result IMO.

compared to the last 5 years it is good joffa, the club shouldn't be making millions each year, and this year we have paid half of our commitment to frankston already.
and our part of the demolitions

Legendary
Club Player

A company conducts it's business to make money for it's shareholders.

A football club conducts it's business to win a premiership.

If a football club wins a premiership, or goes very close (as St Kilda did), and manages to break even financially in the process, then they are achieving the aim of their existence.

In comparison to last year's result, this result is sensational.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy1972 wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong but were we not meant to make a loss this year. And with the money being spent on the Belvdere and all I think it is a great result. In fact I might buy my memebership now. :D
Assuming that means that you are buying your membership for 2010 earlier than normal and that you are a regular member. If not, welcome aboard as a new member. :wink:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

On the surface, doesn't look like a great result but when you break it down it is good. Given our improved time slots for games, I think we will do extremely well in 2010.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Moods wrote:I'm too lazy to read the report - but what was the total revenue we generated out of curiousity?

27,620,890 up from 23,703,769 last year
Thanks ausfatcat. THis to me is one of the most important figures. Once you can generate revenue, then you can manage it. I mean the pies generate something like 57 million, which means they can spend 56mill and make a profit of 1 mill. I'm no acountant so this may be a big simplification. In my mind though for the saints to be succesful and powerful long term it's generating multiple revenue streams so that we can actually spend money. The profit isn't all that important to me, but how much we actually make to spend is very important. I think this revenue figure put us in the mid range of Victorian clubs. The essendon, collingwoods, hawthorns generate 40-50 mill. that's what we need to aim for.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

some important things to note

very good that revenue is up by close to 4 million.

Would be interesting to see how much "cost" our corperates take out of the bottom line. Sometimes you can actually go backwards when negoiating sponsorships because of seats, entertainment etc.

Mr magic, no doubt a lot of the hawks members are 3 game cheapo's in tassie. Does put some of the bigger memberships into context. Shows how well the pies do IMO.

Will be interesting to see how our gat receipts go this year. This result takes into account a very bad fixture from 2009 money wise remember. Plus it's not cheap to play finals. Sometimes playing finals is actually a loss making exercise as you pay the players and staff while the gate goes to the AFL. But most clubs find that they make alot more the year after a very successful season. So no reason not to aim for 1 million profit to chuck into the bank.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sunday Red
Club Player

Legendary wrote:A company conducts it's business to make money for it's shareholders.

A football club conducts it's business to win a premiership.

If a football club wins a premiership, or goes very close (as St Kilda did), and manages to break even financially in the process, then they are achieving the aim of their existence.

In comparison to last year's result, this result is sensational.
One of the smartest things I have ever read on here.

Rice Paper
Club Player

One of the reasons Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn have much bigger revenue is due to their non-football related activities. Essendon has the golf course, pokies, leisure centre thing, Collingwood has all those hotels which they have lost a lot of money on and Hawthorn is ripping poeple off left, right and centre with their pokies hotel deals they have in waverley and now caroline springs I think. It could be good or it could be bad, there is no sure thing having non-football related revenues.

The next big issue for St Kilda is the non-football related area and I would love someone to ask the board at the AGM about this. Are we making anything out of the pokies we have? Do we have to jump into bed with a RSL, hotel group like Zagamies or go with Mathison or with Woolworths so we can maximise their worth?

Great to hear about the merchandise, the gear are getting much better especially the non playing stuff like the hoodies, t-shirts etc. But they need to keep getting better though, I would love to see the full merchandise line be presented at the AGM, there would be about 300 people there so why not sell them merchandise while they are there? We need to think laterally, Essendon pulled 5000 to see jobe Watson named as captain that was the best piece of marketing I have seen for ages.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Rice Paper wrote:One of the reasons Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn have much bigger revenue is due to their non-football related activities. Essendon has the golf course, pokies, leisure centre thing, Collingwood has all those hotels which they have lost a lot of money on and Hawthorn is ripping poeple off left, right and centre with their pokies hotel deals they have in waverley and now caroline springs I think. It could be good or it could be bad, there is no sure thing having non-football related revenues.

The next big issue for St Kilda is the non-football related area and I would love someone to ask the board at the AGM about this. Are we making anything out of the pokies we have? Do we have to jump into bed with a RSL, hotel group like Zagamies or go with Mathison or with Woolworths so we can maximise their worth?

Great to hear about the merchandise, the gear are getting much better especially the non playing stuff like the hoodies, t-shirts etc. But they need to keep getting better though, I would love to see the full merchandise line be presented at the AGM, there would be about 300 people there so why not sell them merchandise while they are there? We need to think laterally, Essendon pulled 5000 to see jobe Watson named as captain that was the best piece of marketing I have seen for ages.
when there are no confrontations and all is quiet with the board. only diehard fans go to the AGM, you would be lucky at times to get 100 people who go.