Training Aus day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dunno. There are some pretty big boys out there.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Thx peeps. Great shots.

Yes, Walsh is massive. If he learns how to play... look out!

Schneider doesn't look like he works out.

My tip: Joey to step up another notch this year, and join the elite. he wil be our next Cousins.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Great reports and photos. Thanks heaps. Hmm, I thought that Tommy had not done any weights prior to this pre-season? He already has some Cousins/McPhee like deltoids. Crazy!

FullMonty
Club Player

Heyne looks massive too! :shock: 8-)

Montyrules!
FullMonty
Club Player

tommy looks like he's been playing for a few years!!! :D
hope he crushes luke ball!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Montyrules!
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the report and the pics - much appreciated.

FullMonty
Club Player

schneider looks like he still has puppy fat!! :x

Montyrules!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

FullMonty wrote:schneider looks like he still has puppy fat!! :x
No, he's just fat and lazy during the break.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milton66
SS Life Member

I guess the other thing to remember is that different bodies react differently to muscle gain.

I seem to recall Goose being slow because he had bulked up at one stage.

I think Croad had the same issue early in his career.

Anyway, it's not just about body building for the sake of it.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
FullMonty wrote:schneider looks like he still has puppy fat!! :x
No, he's just fat and lazy during the break.
...and here I was thinking he looked more muscular in the upper body last week, going to have to start wearing my glasses to training me thinks :shock: :wink:

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

After training the whole team walked along the fence signing various things and posing for photos with people.

You could actually feel the warmth coming from the crowd, and the boys returned it. Obviously guys like Kozzi, Joey, Schneids etc were in demand.

The great thing was I didn't see any player who was treating it like a chore. They all seemed to realise they were making some kid's day.

I heard someone joke about Rooey missing the warm down/recovery (or whatever they do now ) because of course he was still out there almost half an hour after most of the guys had gone in. There would have been hundreds of people and he didn't miss one. One little girl gave him a flower. He really was "king of the kids"! I am so glad he is captain of our club. Not just a champion on the field but off the field too.

My point is, the players look pretty fit and they train hard. They're playing a tough game at the absolute highest level. But without the supporters there wouldn't be a club, and the players have either been coached well in the PR side of things, or else they just do it naturally. Maybe a bit of both.

Words just cannot express my love for these guys. I have a feeling this is going to be a great season. Bring it on!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Far out. Looks like being a pro sportsman agrees with Tommy Walsh.

Fair set of shoulders on him.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I agree re Roo. He went beyond the call of duty today. He actually told a trainer who asked him to come in that he wanted to finish signing. Kosi and BJ always chat to my 5 year old like he is their best mate. They have a real knack with small kids. It was great to see the Rookies signing too. It was a shame that Hayes, dal Santo, King, Dawson, Nick Winmar, Blake and a few others were doing bike and didnt come down for the signing, but we shall catch them later in the year no doubt. I didnt see Milne - did anyone else? Eddy (moonboot) and Simpkin (crutches) were only injuries I could see and i ddint see Jessie Smith either. Jack Steven looks to have bulked up again. Armo looks fitter. Gardiner actually looked to be going half paced at times. Skill wise Tommy walsh isnt executing properly yet but his ball handling ? reaction time was excellent. Miles says he is heading to WA in 2 weeks time _ does anyone know why??? Is it 2nd round preseason definitely in WA??? Miles, A. Smith and Stanley are favs of mine so i watched each carefully. All look fit and firing. I woiuld love to see them get a crack in the pre-season.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear regarding Roo!

Sounds like he has stayed to the very end signing everyones request for consecutive weeks.....

A big effort considering its holidays (school) and training attendances are inflated!

Good Work Skipper!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote: A serious question.....Does anyone else think our players are somewhat undersized in terms of muscle? There are exceptions like Ball and Armo.....
I've got some bad news for you about Luke Ball.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Good to hear regarding Roo!

Sounds like he has stayed to the very end signing everyones request for consecutive weeks.....

A big effort considering its holidays (school) and training attendances are inflated!

Good Work Skipper!
It's all part of his very well paid job.

Not saying he doens't deserve every cent he earns.

Legend!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I. Miles says he is heading to WA in 2 weeks time _ does anyone know why??? Is it 2nd round preseason definitely in WA??? Miles, A. Smith and Stanley are favs of mine so i watched each carefully. All look fit and firing. I woiuld love to see them get a crack in the pre-season.

he's heading over to the meet and greet.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
Spinner wrote: A serious question.....Does anyone else think our players are somewhat undersized in terms of muscle? There are exceptions like Ball and Armo.....
I've got some bad news for you about Luke Ball.

Ball still did his weights work at St Kilda.....Did he not? Or did he just baulk up during his six weeks at the Pies?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Good to see Armo on the track....didnt see him when I went last year.

A serious question.....Does anyone else think our players are somewhat undersized in terms of muscle? There are exceptions like Ball and Armo....But compared to an Adelaide or a West Coast.....

I look at Koschitzke and think, he's been in the system for 10 years....He would be a lot bigger......It was be intentional.
Lenny Hayes is very muscular, Roo and Kosi are muscular but not overbuilt like some. Core strength is their go.

Steven King has a huge rig, and Tommy Walsh is no 97 pound weakling.

Didn't seem to hider us in defence or tackling last season.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Spinner wrote:Good to see Armo on the track....didnt see him when I went last year.

A serious question.....Does anyone else think our players are somewhat undersized in terms of muscle? There are exceptions like Ball and Armo....But compared to an Adelaide or a West Coast.....

I look at Koschitzke and think, he's been in the system for 10 years....He would be a lot bigger......It was be intentional.
Lenny Hayes is very muscular, Roo and Kosi are muscular but not overbuilt like some. Core strength is their go.

King built his body at Geelong, and Walsh has come over from Ireland. Im talking about the body's specifically built at St Kilda.

Is it just that they aim for different measurements?

Kossie and Roo in particular are not units given their time in the game. Maybe the focus is on more athleticism..... And neither is Lenny although he one of the strongest bodies in the AFL.

Kossie is my main concern.....Just doesnt compare to the Bradshaws, The Tarrants and the Fevola's that also work out of the square......Even throw in Lynch and Lloyd of recent times.

saintlee
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

King built his body at Geelong, and Walsh has come over from Ireland. Im talking about the body's specifically built at St Kilda.

Kossie and Roo in particular are not units given their time in the game. Maybe the focus is on more athleticism..... And neither is Lenny although he one of the strongest bodies in the AFL.

Kossie is my main concern.....Just doesnt compare to the Bradshaws, The Tarrants and the Fevola's that also work out of the square......Even throw in Lynch and Lloyd of recent times.
Kosi is a fair bit taller than all those other players....and he is very strong regardless....you don't necessarily need mass to be powerful

Too much mass is not good, it slows you down and restricts your leap.....I remember a few years ago Kosi deliberately trimmed down a few kgs because it was contributing to soft tissue injuries...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Dont think kosi's lack of body effects his footy. There are plenty of other things like consistancy that have a lot more bearing.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

To be honest, I reckon they have bulked up since Qld. Can't wait to check them out next week :wink:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

just on the Kosi thing .... in the past there had been a lot of effort to add bulk to his already larg frame when the coaching staff wanted him as a purly forward option .... over the last few weeks there have been little hints in saints stories relating to the fact RL is keen to see Kosi spend some time doing some ruck duties and moving up the ground a bit more ... for Kosi to be able to do that he would be working very hard on his endurance and not so hard on the muscle building

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

And someone else must be getting groomed to slip into Kosi's spot up forward, when Kosi moves up the ground. Be interesting to keep an eye on the forward line.