Umpiring?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

A lot is spoken about guys like Barry Hall not getting many free kicks, but seriously, I doubt anyone gets more of a raw deal from the umpires than Milney. They're generally so trigger-happy against him it's incredible and what does he need to do to get a free kick? I feel bad for the guy. I think he now just expects to get shafted by them.
It's like he slept with all their daughters and never called them back or something.
Apart from that, we clearly got dudded last night, but then again there are some weeks (like the Prelim against the Doggies last year) where it goes our way, so they're the breaks.
Doesn't say much about the Pies, though, that still didn't win despite having so many things go their way.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Ghost Like wrote:
AlpineStars wrote:Terrible umpiring, the one that stuck out the most to me was in the center of the ground a Saints player layed a tackle spun the Collingwood player 1 and a half times with no attempt to get rid of it, when the ball did spill Lenny Grabbed it and was grabbed by 3 Pies players and it was "holding the ball" Shithouse all night.
This is the perfect example of what frustrates me about umpiring standards today. Umps do not seem prepared to make the call often enough to reward genuinely good tackles, preferring to wait for the easy call when some poor bastard gets caught at the bottom of a pile of players with the ball trapped under him.

How do umpires believe the ball spills out of a tackle if it's not kicked or handballed, surely that's incorrect disposal and the tackle should be rewarded.
No not really. It can be knocked out in the tackle and if you dont have prior opportunity it must at least look like you are trying to kick or handball.
True P66, I accept those examples but when a player gets tackled and brought to the ground and then the ball miraculously gets pushed out to the advantage of that tackled players side it frustrates me. Geelong are very good at that, only releasing it (illegally) to advantage or holding it in the tackle when no advantage is evident. Admittedlt we're getting better at that to but at the end of the day, good tackles are not being rewarded.

Duggie
Club Player

The official count was Filth 23; Saints 16.
I was almost hoarse by half time at the blatant bias against us.
Two attempts to behead Schnieder in recent games have not just gone unheeded but the other way!

A Saint Forever!