Riewoldt injury info from "On the Couch"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Just relax.

Wait until he starts running laps before firing up the mancrush.

kaos theory
Club Player

I've heard all the explinations and comparisions, and three things are clear:

1/ Each example of a signiifcant hamstring injury they tried to use as comparision to Roo's were NOT the same, Most were WORSE than Roo's (e.g. Richo, Lloyd, etc.)

2/ The media, typically went for the worst case scenario, and stayed on this e.g. 4 months or more.

3/ Almost no one has taken into account the elite fitness level of Roo, his very high level of professionalism and approach to recovery AND his renowed ability to recover significantly quicker than most people from injury.

When you take all this into account, it could mean as little as 8 to 10 weeks for someone like Roo instead of 14 - 16 weeks, which might be the case for your average player.

We will have to wait & see how things progress over the next 4 weeks...

SaintSimmo
Club Player

sainterinsydney wrote:They were also talking about round 20 as a possible comeback date.
Mate, Dont listen to the media, they are speculating as much as everyone on here.

They are just trying to get some coverage. They can have their opinions, doesnt mean they are going to true.

Everyone has their own opinions, the only ones who will know is Nick Riewoldt, and the medicos at St.Kilda.

It may be a 15 week injury, but it may heal faster then everyone thinks. Mission is one of the best and will get Roo up and running as soon as possible. Hopefully he is back just after the break.

Sainter for life.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I took it completely the wrong way, but weren't they saying he didn't actually need to undergo surgery to recover...and that the natural healing process would of run it's natural course anyway and this procedure was simply an added measure he decided to take?

It's the unfairness of this fantastic guy being sidelined by a terrible injury when he had just had the best preseason of his life and showing some career best form, that hit me when they talked about it OTC.

I believe the team can galvanise and produce some fantastic footy, but just for him personally, very sad :(

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

2 weeks!

Another opportunity awaits!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Round 20 is 18 weeks (more than 4 months) taking in to account the split mid season round.

I do prefer Riewoldt - hamstring operation - 2 weeks

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
maz1685
Club Player

I'm confident in Roo returning earlier than expected, if there's one thing we know about this guy it is how hard he works at everything he does, I don't think this will be any different. He will inspire the team from the sidelines just as much as he does on the field. Wishing him all the best for a full and appropriately paced recovery. :)

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

They say the surgery was like sewing 2 steaks together. Would normally take 12 months to heal for a sedentary person

Beej
Saintsational Legend

All this talk of blessings in disguise and reworkings of the structure is all fantastic but the bottom line is that for us to win a flag we need Roo at his best.

IF he's out until round 20 there is no chance he'll be at his best when September comes around. After a lay-off like that he'll need a full pre-season and then some to only begin to find his feet.

axcellence
Club Player

You know... this whole saga resembles so much of 2004-05.

2004, we came close.

2005, Roo out for lengthy period at start and middle of season. We again came close.

Let's just hope the end's different.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote:While I'm not deranged enough to suggest that this is a blessing in disguise, there is that old saying 'where there is crisis, there is opportunity'.
Isn't that saying the exact same thing?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I was hoping there'd be some kind of statement put out by the club by now with comments provided by the Surgeon so we could reduce the speculation.

Only the surgeon would have the actual "inside" knowledge of the damage he saw and how well the repair went. The rest of us (including the journos) are all just "flapping our jaws" until we hear some news from the surgeon, who is one of the very best in the business (no surprize).

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

sainterinsydney wrote:
I think St. Kilda must prepare and plan as if Riewoldt was never there and may not come back. I feel strongly he will be back, but we must prepare a structure that doesn't have him in the side. I still feel we could win the flag without him.
Agree on both fronts. If Roo doesn't come back till round 20 or so, he's unlikely to have his usual impact in a final and then there's the very real possibility he could re-injure it again at any time. Knowing how hard he trains, he could easily over-do it at training and that would be it for the year. We need to be prepared for that possibility.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:All this talk of blessings in disguise and reworkings of the structure is all fantastic but the bottom line is that for us to win a flag we need Roo at his best.

IF he's out until round 20 there is no chance he'll be at his best when September comes around. After a lay-off like that he'll need a full pre-season and then some to only begin to find his feet.
Having him there soaking up two defenders will be an absolute coup.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Beej wrote:All this talk of blessings in disguise and reworkings of the structure is all fantastic but the bottom line is that for us to win a flag we need Roo at his best.

Roo is one of the best, if not the best player in the game. No one is mad enough to suggest that this is a blessing in disguise, but for the last two seasons now, our biggest criticism has been our avenues to goal. Even in last years finals, our forward line looked almost non-existent without Roo. We need depth in our forward line and now we through necessity, we have to find it.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:I was hoping there'd be some kind of statement put out by the club by now with comments provided by the Surgeon so we could reduce the speculation.

Only the surgeon would have the actual "inside" knowledge of the damage he saw and how well the repair went. The rest of us (including the journos) are all just "flapping our jaws" until we hear some news from the surgeon, who is one of the very best in the business (no surprize).
With respect I don't think it is possible as lot now depends simply on how well Roo heals. If that goes all well then allfitness and physio work starts....if not then it gets pushed back.

Even after that set-backs may or may not occur.

There is alot more at play here than the normal tears...which are more predictable.

Quite possibly the surgeon has not done this exact operation on another elite footballer. Llyod and others were different...

So with no series of case histories even the surgeoon would be guessing.

6 weeks (unlikely), 8 weeks..14...or whole season???....no-one knows yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

What does Roo do to keep himslef fit in the meantime?

Obviously the next fortnight would be pretty much a write off, but thereafter how does he keep even a modicum of fitness?

Anyone know?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

If you dont think he can come back at r20 and not make a difference in the finals, our deluded.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:What does Roo do to keep himslef fit in the meantime?

Obviously the next fortnight would be pretty much a write off, but thereafter how does he keep even a modicum of fitness?

Anyone know?
Play Xbox