Goal ump suspended for betting on 2009 Grand Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BakesFan
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Huge overeaction but I suppose no one should be betting on games even though I reckon most who like a punt do.
WOW!!..If nothing else, this one post strongly suggests that you are nothing more than an AFL mole/apologist/propagandist...

In calling it a "Huge overeaction" you've shown your true colours.....

Umpires betting on games is unforgivable...... It should result in immediate dismissal and a lifetime ban.

Bet on games OR be an umpire..... there should be no way you can do both.
I fail to understand your post at all. i am disagreeing with the AFL but am an AFL mole. Doesnt make any sense. By the way when I said huge over reaction I was talking about most of the other suspensions not the goal umpire. He deserves a year for stupidy (stupidity?).

As I said I just dont get the post.
The AFL haven't done enough in sanctioning the umpire involved in betting on the GF (whether or not he was on duty on the day)..........

... yet you're here proclaiming it was a 'Huge overeaction' by the AFL....
"He deserves a year for stupidity."??...He should NEVER umpire again!
A clear message needs to be sent.

Sorry plugger66....I humbly retract my comment about you being an AFL mole...... but I do remain of the opinion that you are an Umpire's apologist/propagandist.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Huge overeaction but I suppose no one should be betting on games even though I reckon most who like a punt do.
WOW!!..If nothing else, this one post strongly suggests that you are nothing more than an AFL mole/apologist/propagandist...

Umpires betting on games is unforgivable...... It should result in immediate dismissal and a lifetime ban.

I fail to understand your post at all. i am disagreeing with the AFL but am an AFL mole. Doesnt make any sense. By the way when I said huge over reaction I was talking about most of the other suspensions not the goal umpire. He deserves a year for stupidy (stupidity?).

The AFL haven't done enough in sanctioning the umpire involved in betting on the GF (whether or not he was on duty on the day)..........

Sorry plugger66....I humbly retract my comment about you being an AFL mole...... but I do remain of the opinion that you are an Umpire's apologist/propagandist.
And to be honest I couldnt care if people think I stick up for the AFL or the umpires because I am yet to see a better way of running the game.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BakesFan wrote:

And to be honest I couldnt care if people think I stick up for the AFL or the umpires because I am yet to see a better way of running the game.
It's not about a better way of running the game it's about a better control of gambling on sport IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I actually was just commenting on his last point. It had nothing to do with the gambling side of things.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I actually was just commenting on his last point. It had nothing to do with the gambling side of things.
yep...

But please tell me and others your take on umpires gambling on AFL football results...

and has the AFL done enough in your opinion or is it maybe up the Government to step in with some way of outlawing sports gambling for anyone connected with the sport??

Yes, I know the government will not do anything because they get a percentage of the winnings (as well as the AFL) in any case, and anything they put in place would cost money, but surely there must be a better system than a person placing a bet on a football result at their local TAB and that same person could be a sports official.

The current system is flawed and the results are more than likely just a tip off the ice burg, if the AFL can only audit the major bookmakers and others that provide on line betting.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I actually was just commenting on his last point. It had nothing to do with the gambling side of things.
yep...

But please tell me and others your take on umpires gambling on AFL football results...

and has the AFL done enough in your opinion or is it maybe up the Government to step in with some way of outlawing sports gambling for anyone connected with the sport??

Yes, I know the government will not do anything because they get a percentage of the winnings (as well as the AFL) in any case, and anything they put in place would cost money, but surely there must be a better system than a person placing a bet on a football result at their local TAB and that same person could be a sports official.

The current system is flawed and the results are more than likely just a tip off the ice burg, if the AFL can only audit the major bookmakers and others that provide on line betting.
Im pretty sure it would be impossible to stop any footballer or official gambling at the TAB or getting a friend to put it on their phone account. Will never happen because it is impossible. Big bans like these help and I reckon there wouldnt be to many other sporting industries in the world who would give these huge bans for minor breaches. If you look at Patrick Smith column today he says they are way over the top.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

No employee of the AFL or any affiliated organisation can bet on AFL matches.

Pretty clear.

You'd be stupid to do it.

You'd also be stupid to think it doesn't happen.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:No employee of the AFL or any affiliated organisation can bet on AFL matches.

Pretty clear.

Agree.

But after this week I would imagine it would happen a lot less.

Also any AFL footballer betting in a TAB would know that due to his profession that he would be very recognisable.

Any player betting through a friend or relative would be risking "outing" if they later have a confict with said person.

Stupid is, and stupid does...but after this weeks jack-boot I think that incidences will be less.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

St Fidelius wrote: and has the AFL done enough in your opinion or is it maybe up the Government to step in with some way of outlawing sports gambling for anyone connected with the sport??
Any tighter crackdown will have implications for horse/greyhound racing, that only continue to exist because of betting revenue.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im with you solar

Primus just got found out too apparently
had a bet on an afl game and two soccer games from memory (?)

was traced back to his laptop
was in yesterdays/day befores Advertiser

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:No employee of the AFL or any affiliated organisation can bet on AFL matches.

Pretty clear.

Agree.

Also any AFL footballer betting in a TAB would know that due to his profession that he would be very recognisable.

Any player betting through a friend or relative would be risking "outing" if they later have a confict with said person.

Stupid is, and stupid does...but after this weeks jack-boot I think that incidences will be less.
And this is why they need to come down hard because there would no doubt be alot on the side and a hard sentence would make people think twice about doing these things.

Look lets be honest the umpire/player/official could be addicted to gambling, which can lead to some terrible decsion making. People steal, commit fraud and hurt people to feed this addiction. To suggest that an umpire would not throw a game to pay off his debts is naive to the extreme

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Pretty clear.

Agree.

It would still be easy to bet at a TAB if you were a footballer as they have stand alone machines and even giving tickets to an operator would be very hard to police as you could put many tickets through and nearly all could be on the races so the operator wouldnt know either. That is more of a risk though because if you make an error the operator could see the error and realise it is an AFL game.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

This is staggering.

Officials betting on games questions the very integrity of the whole 'competition'.

In my opinion, this is the biggest story in the game I've seen for years - not surprisingly though, the AFL and the press seem content to play it down.

These are people that have a direct influence on results.

This is amazing.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

In addition to this, please don't forget that the Storm fessed up to 'minor salary cap breaches' to put everyone off the scent.

I actually commend the AFL on their stance and the punishments.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:This is staggering.

Officials betting on games questions the very integrity of the whole 'competition'.

In my opinion, this is the biggest story in the game I've seen for years - not surprisingly though, the AFL and the press seem content to play it down.

This is amazing.
If it was thousands of dollars it would be staggering. At the moment it is a few and very few dollars placed in games. Yes you will get a few saying you are right but in this case they got as much as they deserved considering the amounts place.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

This is amazing.
If it was thousands of dollars it would be staggering. At the moment it is a few and very few dollars placed in games. Yes you will get a few saying you are right but in this case they got as much as they deserved considering the amounts place.
your arguments are all over the place....

first you suggest that it was an over-reaction

then you suggest that it wouldn't matter because most could go in and put whatever bets on at the TAB. (remember there have been a few who have had betting problems gone public, does happen)

then you suggest that it's only a small amount and not ike it's thousands of dollars.

So what is it? Are there lots of opportunity for players and officials to put bets on or is this just a small group of people placing small bets. You can't have it both ways.

(please notice that I have only pointed out your arguments and placed a question about them. There is no reason to have a slanging match over this, just a debate. I expect a decient response, no abuse :) )

FQF
In richo I trust

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
A couple of points...

We know of the bets that were a few dollars. Not the rest. Gamblers are gamblers. You don't make one bet out of the blue after never have done it before and never do it again.

If you rob someone of $1 or $1000, you've still robbed them. The intent is there to take something that isn't yours.
In this case, the intent is there to dishonestly profit from the result of a game you are officiating.
It's absurd to defend this. And it's absurd to think it's not a big deal.

How can you possibly trust an official knowing they have placed a bet on the game? Whether it's for $1 or $1m - they are no longer impartial. That's disgusting.

And lastly, the Footy Quad last week paid $24,000. For a $1 outlay, you collected $24,000.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

This is amazing.

then you suggest that it wouldn't matter because most could go in and put whatever bets on at the TAB. (remember there have been a few who have had betting problems gone public, does happen)

then you suggest that it's only a small amount and not ike it's thousands of dollars.

So what is it? Are there lots of opportunity for players and officials to put bets on or is this just a small group of people placing small bets. You can't have it both ways.

(please notice that I have only pointed out your arguments and placed a question about them. There is no reason to have a slanging match over this, just a debate. I expect a decient response, no abuse :) )
I was reacting to his post that it is staggering. I still stand by my opinion that it was an overeaction for some of them. Not so the goal umpire. And I still stand by the fact many players bet and I know that as fact. I hope after these penalties that they will stop because the next player caught will be suspended IMO. And the small amount is important because it shows it was stupidity instead of something more sinister.

Sorry cant debate it any longer as I have to go out for a while.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

This is amazing.

I was reacting to his post that it is staggering. I still stand by my opinion that it was an overeaction for some of them. Not so the goal umpire. And I still stand by the fact many players bet and I know that as fact. I hope after these penalties that they will stop because the next player caught will be suspended IMO. And the small amount is important because it shows it was stupidity instead of something more sinister.

Sorry cant debate it any longer as I have to go out for a while.
ok fair enough

to be honest, the one that worries me is the goal umpire. Fair comments and the reason the AFL needed to come down is to stop it ever becoming sinister

FQF
In richo I trust

Saints7
Club Player

the umpire didnt bet on the result, it was a bet on players - eg first goal, norm smith, etc. and wasnt even for him, it was just on his account. its the media who actually award the Norm Smith, so are all media persons ever investigated for gampbling on the result? no...its because there are rules for some, and rules for others.

that poor umpire, although should have known better, has been fined approx $20,000 through lost wages...Primus suspended for a couple of weeks, who cares, a directotr $7,500 who cares. But because he is a faceless name, $20,000.

AFL are living in a separate world - god knows only the amount of officials and players placing bets on football via mate's accounts. Dont police something you cant police.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints7 wrote:that poor umpire, although should have known better, has been fined approx $20,000 through lost wages...Primus suspended for a couple of weeks, who cares, a directotr $7,500 who cares. But because he is a faceless name, $20,000.

AFL are living in a separate world - god knows only the amount of officials and players placing bets on football via mate's accounts. Dont police something you cant police.
Poor umpire? Pffft, who cares!?! These guys know what line of business they're in, they know they can't bet. If you want to bet, don't work for the AFL. It's not like you need to breathe air, you need to drink water, you NEED to place a bet...FFS, what's wrong with these people??? Sounds to me as if the AFL have taught him a $20,000 lesson on the evils of problem gambling, although I agree the others should face the same punishment.