Roo's endorsement of the Liberals on Game Day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:so he is not only a champion footballer but a smart person also.

a few on here could follow his lead.....
STFU dumb F***
very funny Albino.

How are you?

Long time no see!
NOT LONG ENOUGH!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Seriously??? What's the problem? I don't care who voted for who, the door was opened with the question...good on him for being up front and honest and showing the courage of his belief.
Agree, simply answered a question and did not lie, more respect for that than a donkey vote

I love this club
backit
Club Player

To the top wrote:This election has swung on seats in Queensland and western Sydney where the dominant issue has been "Stop the boats".

These are the regions which gave Pauline Hanson her authority.

Victoria has swung to Labor, showing a maturity our fellow Australians in Queensland and western Sydney have not shown.

So, I reckon Nick is on dangerous ground.

To those of us who look on the results from Queensland and western Sydney with concern given what we have seen at Bondi Beach, in Melbourne and elsewhere where there have been racially motivated attacks - and who look for leadership and education to combat such community attitudes so that we have a cohesive, supportive and sustainable community (except for following different football teams!) the outcome is disappointing.

Remember that 45 years ago we were told that the "yellow vermin are coming to get us", resulting in over 300 conscripted Australians losing their lives in Vietnam.

So these scaremongering campaigns have been around for many, many years and it is time we grew up.
You're kidding right, Qld voted against Labour due to the Rudd factor , the Mining Tax, State issues not the crap you see as gospel. NSW voted also on State Labour Issues, you should read the State Labour Premiers responses to the result from yesterday. People will vote on issues that may affect them, I don't think this forum needs your political views and you espousing that those in Victroria who voted Labour are showing maturity that others didn't.

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Really can't believe the fuss about who Nick follows politically. This is a football forum. Pathetic for those who are upset that he showed his view on politics. Absolute crap. Nick is a champion footballer and I don't care about his or anyone elses political views.
Do we have some rednecks here?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Shameful, trade him at the end of the year!
Agree Barks,
Fancy a Saints Captain not barracking for Labor! :)

Will it affect our membership numbers next year?
Should the Club be worried?

Will this revelation derail our premiership campaign this year?

Will the crowds resort to chanting Boo! instead of Roo! when he flies for marks?
Will they jeer instead of cheer when he kicks goals and hopefully lifts the premiership cup aloft?

Given that the ranga leader of the ALP is a doggie, shouldn't we all be supporting the WB anyway?
Last edited by Mr Magic on Sun 22 Aug 2010 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

What exactly did he say?

Maybe he sees himself going into the caper after footy.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:
Quote:
I don't care who voted for who

Neither do I, but that's the problem -- Nick clearly cares who you voted for.
A smart footballer would have deflected the question: "Yeah, it was interesting result, wasn't it? We'll see what happens."

I just don't think footballers, particularly cpatains, should be advertising their political opinions. Until they're retired.

What do you base this massive assumption on. Did he say I voted for Liberal and anyone who didn't can go and get lost. Or did he simply say who he voted for?
Don't take it personally. You were defending his comments which to my mind were completlely imprudent, regardless of anyone's political allegiance.

Can anyone tell me who Tom Harley voted for? I doubt he'd publicly air a prejudice like that.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:This election has swung on seats in Queensland and western Sydney where the dominant issue has been "Stop the boats".

Victoria has swung to Labor, showing a maturity our fellow Australians in Queensland and western Sydney have not shown.

To those of us who look on the results from Queensland and western Sydney with concern given what we have seen at Bondi Beach, in Melbourne and elsewhere where there have been racially motivated attacks - and who look for leadership and education to combat such community attitudes so that we have a cohesive, supportive and sustainable community (except for following different football teams!) the outcome is disappointing.

Remember that 45 years ago we were told that the "yellow vermin are coming to get us", resulting in over 300 conscripted Australians losing their lives in Vietnam.

So these scaremongering campaigns have been around for many, many years and it is time we grew up.
Take this garbage to the general forum please

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Would this thread of been created or be so popular if Labor had won.

stevos2151
Club Player

Typical Left-wing arrogance. Labor cannot govern at a a federal level. Go find yourselves another Bob Hawke

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Take this garbage to the general forum please
Agree

This actually makes the perfect point for my mind, everyone can have an opinion and feel free to air that opinion (within certain parameters) no matter how misguided, prejudiced or ignorant they are.

This is why we were all able to vote yesterday in a safe unthreatening environment. To say someone cannot tell people who they voted for (if they wish) is abhorrent. He is an Australian citizen with voting rights who happens to be the captain of our football club. We should all be able to say who we voted for if that is what we want to do.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

To say someone cannot tell people who they voted for (if they wish) is abhorrent.
Of course it is. Who said they couldn't?

But is is it wise? Is it necessary, when it can be easily deflected? Politics is a touchy subject. Personally I'd prefer not to know what my captain thinks of politics or religion or race relations.

Riewoldt is the same bloke who a few years ago did a word association test on radio. In response to the word "homosexual" he said "die".

Not smart, Roo.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

My god people, he's the captain of our football club not the 'Magic 8 Ball'.

Surely you don't decide to get out of bed and live your life each day dependant on what Roo says? He's human, a very good footballer who has his own opinions. Some you may wish to agree with, some you may not. Personally I like people who are honest, makes life more interesting and less confusing.

We will all say something at some stage we wish we hadn't, especially when younger and wish we could retract that comment and replace it, it usually comes in the form of a bad joke.

Surely though on election weekend when our captain is asked a question then he can answer it openly and honestly, my god perhaps he can even divulge who he voted for.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Roo is a footballer.

Who cares who he votes for.

On the other hand, why does he think his political views are worth repeating on national TV?

He should realise that he is only a footballer and keep his mouth shut about non-football issues, or risk ruining the nice-guy image that he operates within.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Finna
Club Player

Maturity.......

Didn't You Mean.....

Idiocy!

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
GoTheTorp
Club Player

Politics and religion have no place in forums

saintnick12
Club Player

GoTheTorp wrote:Politics and religion have no place in forums
And certainly not on footy talk shows...which I believe was the point of this thread.

I don't care who he voted for or who anyone else voted for for that matter. I just dont think it was smart to air it in an interview the way he did. Why is he the only footballer/commentator I've heard discussing their vote...even though I can make a guess as to who most of them voted for.

And unlike the suggestion by some in this thread, my objection to this has nothing to do with not liking who he voted for...I have no problem with that whatsoever. This thread has a lot of comments bagging one side or the other, which belongs in a different thread.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo's endorsement of the Liberals on Game Day

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Unnecessary. A lot of us follow the footy to get away from politics. Pull your head in, Nick.

shows he's got a few bains actually......your insult's a bit over the top....the guy's allowed an opinion ffs..... :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
GoTheTorp
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:
And certainly not on footy talk shows...which I believe was the point of this thread.

I don't care who he voted for or who anyone else voted for for that matter. I just dont think it was smart to air it in an interview the way he did. Why is he the only footballer/commentator I've heard discussing their vote...even though I can make a guess as to who most of them voted for.

And unlike the suggestion by some in this thread, my objection to this has nothing to do with not liking who he voted for...I have no problem with that whatsoever. This thread has a lot of comments bagging one side or the other, which belongs in a different thread.
I agree with you about stating your political preferences on a national TV show isnt the way to go, but i just choose to ignore this sort of dribble and continue on with my life rather than worry about what individuals say in the media. If youworship a god good for you but dont cram it down my throat, if you want to root Julia Gillard then your one sick puppy :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
Buckets wrote:OMG he has his own opinion! Sack him now! :roll:
Fine to have his own opinion but he shouldn't be sharing it publicly - especially while appearing as a representative of the St Kilda Football club and especially when the result of the election is still in doubt.
I love him...hence my nickname
But very disappointed in this.
he's a business man...owns a pub ...wtf did you think he would be voting for.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

saintnick12
Club Player

stinger wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:
Buckets wrote:OMG he has his own opinion! Sack him now! :roll:
Fine to have his own opinion but he shouldn't be sharing it publicly - especially while appearing as a representative of the St Kilda Football club and especially when the result of the election is still in doubt.
I love him...hence my nickname
But very disappointed in this.
he's a business man...owns a pub ...wtf did you think he would be voting for.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
As I've said, not surprised or worried about who he voted for...just don't think its a good look for him to be discussing it, especially witht the state of the election

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintnick12
Club Player

GoTheTorp wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:

I agree with you about stating your political preferences on a national TV show isnt the way to go, but i just choose to ignore this sort of dribble and continue on with my life rather than worry about what individuals say in the media. If youworship a god good for you but dont cram it down my throat, if you want to root Julia Gillard then your one sick puppy :wink:

Pardon.. :shock: :shock:

I hope the above line is not aimed at me
Last edited by saintnick12 on Sun 22 Aug 2010 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think the club will have told him it wasn't wise...time and place Roo, time and place.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I knew I liked that Nick.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i find your post really offensive .... :roll: :roll: :roll: